Tactical Radios

Baz JJ
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ive been looking at radios and mic options, out of interest rather than necessity really, but I was looking at the different PMR446 radios on the market to see if any of them bare any resemblance to military radios. I don't think any of them do really although the chinese Bao Feng is probably more tactical looking than the Gucci ones.

I stumbled across the Italian Tribe PMR radio which is really designed for motorcyclists in groups. Its very small and functional looking and can work with a Bluetooth throat mic and covert earpiece so there are no trailing wires. Its not cheap with the radio being just under £100 and the BT mic/earpiece being another £60 but its vox switching means both your hands are always free and the radio can be hidden away.

Failing that, I guess its something like a Motorola T6 with a wired throat mic and PTT.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally went with a Motorola T8. Some nice features such as dual watch which means you can monitor a command channel and a fireteam channel simultaneously.

At work we use Motorola XTNiD, they do the job pretty well, but the T8 seems like a better choice.

This is the T8 PMR446 kit in question.

Apart from the dual watch mentioned in my earlier post, it has the ability to scan all 8 channels, a volume knob on the top which means its not necessary to go through menus or up/down keys to change the audio level and its rainproof.

The drop-in charger came with the units which means the batteries don't have to be removed for charging.

I also bought some spare battery packs for reserve and these can be charged in the charger on their own if desired.

The only downside of the T8 is that you need to press a couple of keys to change channel - ideally I would prefer a rotary selector on top, but it wasn't possible at the price range or without the loss of other features.

I have gone for a black cordura open top carry case but there are other colours on the market (I carry mine in a mag pocket on my assault vest so I'm not bothered about the colour).

In terms of external microphone/speaker, I've opted for covert.

Although headsets might be more applicable for real battlefield use, I've chosen a throat mic and earpiece. This is because it still allows me to hear whistles, the direction of weapon fire and verbal commands during Airsoft. The throat mic is very good and comes through very loudly at the other end, even when you whisper.

Its possible to get better more expensive radios, but PMR446 has its restrictions in terms of range anyway, so they have a specific usage i.e. short range comms between teams when your team mates aren't looking at you and won't see hand signals.

This system also comes with a covert PTT which can be run up your foregrip arm and allows you to transmit without taking your hands off your rifle.

The only thing I would like to have added is encryption - the limited channels of PMR446 mean its easy for others to tune in, necessitating code when communicating. Some more expensive makes like Icom offer a technique called speech inversion which scrambles communication. Although not a complex technology and easily unscrambled with dedicated equipment, it will stop the average player tuning in.

I did look for plug in microphones with built-in scramblers, so that you could connect them in to the socket on the top of the T8, but these aren't cheap and are primarily built for more expensive and professional radio's.

post-7324-0-11139100-1374048198_thumb.jpg

• Supporters

the T8 almost certainly does CTCSS channels, don't have one myself so I can't guarantee it but that adds another layer of inconvenience on anyone wanting to listen in... they'll need to check 8 channels and 38 CTCSS codes on each channel!

The codes dont stop people listening in. if you set the code to 0 on each channel and scan, you will hear everything, irrespective of what CTCSS or DCS codes are selected by the person making the transmission.

The purpose of the codes is to stop the person setting them being bothered by other peoples transmissions on the same channel.

They do not offer any privacy.

• 3 weeks later...

I used my radio for the first time at the weekend.

I just wanted to see if it was practical bearing in mind distances and the fact that you are moving around a lot when you want to use it.

One of the things that was an unexpected bonus was that it gave me the opportunity to hear the marshals talking and this was useful in that you could hear what was going on in terms of games coming to an end or if there was confusion. Gave me a bit more insight without giving me an unfair advantage.

One of my Airsoft mates had a problem with his son and a minor injury and they put out a call for his whereabouts over the marshall radios so they could inform him. I heard the call but didn't recognise his surname. The trouble with Airsoft is you recognise the regulars visually and chat but often don't know their full name - DOH !

Archived