ICS tappet problem.

GI JOE
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi guys, i have an ICS m4 and just bought an upgraded upper gearbox with an M120 spring inside.

i know this is quite a strong spring for an AEG.

the problem is that i put it all together and put it in the gun to make sure it worked and it has chewed up the tappet plate.

is this because its got an M120 spring in it or is there another problem???

cheers guys.

Have you had much expreience with AEG gearboxes before or is this for first time??

its my first ICS gun mate with the split gearbox.

i put it together exact same as the original one and put it in the gun and its chewed up the tappet plate bet the original one works perfect.

• Supporters

to my knowledge ics use a non-standard tappet plate so that will be your problem

tom

to my knowledge ics use a non-standard tappet plate so that will be your problem

tom

whay do you mean a non standard tappet plate???

iv had a look on a few sites and most say that using any tappet plate for a version 2 gearbox will fit in it. gaurder, marui, modify.

is this info correct???

• Supporters

something to do with it being slightly different to account for the gearbox splitting, but tbh if the gearbox works with the stock ics part, why not use that??

• 1 month later...
its my first ICS gun mate with the split gearbox.

i put it together exact same as the original one and put it in the gun and its chewed up the tappet plate bet the original one works perfect.

I have 2 ICS M4's shooting at 395-398 with 2.0. The tappet plate is a standard version 2. I have have best luck with a red King Arms M4 tappet plate. I have them in all 4 of my gearboxes (I have 2 spares for the field) and have had no problems, if you try one I hope they work as good for you.

Your shooting pretty hot for the UK aren't you?

It only takes a few min to put in a mild spring while you are changing the tappet plate.

• Supporters

he Tappet Plate

The tappet plate is attached directly to the air nozzle. It is a longish black piece of plastic that has an “arm” near the back that engages the sector gear and a half-circle slot in the front that the air nozzle is fitted into. There is also a small notch on the bottom near the middle, where a small spring resides. When removing the tappet plate from the mechbox, be sure to catch the spring. If it flies out of the mechbox and you lose it, the tappet plate will not function correctly when the gun is shot.

ICS Note:

The tappet plate in ICS mechboxes has been reported to be very brittle when compared to TM and Guarder tappet plates. It has a rather well-documented history of snapping in various places for no apparent reason. It may be a good idea to pick up an aftermarket tappet plate if your gun hasn\\\'t had this problem.

Archived