Troop or solo

Baz JJ
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

One of the things Ive noticed when playing Airsoft is the player chaos.

Im quite interested in the tactical side and due to the wide age range of players, find that the game is often a free for all, with people clumping together, youngsters not taking proper cover etc.

I assume that some of the more experienced regulars at sites work cooperatively, although I guess its not always obvious.

Do any of you see benefit in working together in small troops where there is a bit of discipline in terms of tactics/strategy and communication ?

• Supporters

Yeah I do, but unless you know some players well and can really motivate each other to make a plan that involves what to do in the event of 1, 2, 3, etc. members being hit (ie SOP's that allow regened players to find the squad again and slot back in effectively, plus what to do if the squad takes so many hits that it is no longer effective, like what do the live players do while the rest regen) and stick to it, good luck trying to organise anything beyond the first 5mins - it's like herding cats ffs!

Yes Im sure you're right.

In the last game, Four of us regenned together by coincidence and set off in an unintentional troop. As you say, it worked fine for a while, but we got split up, although that is probably more our own fault because there was no agreed commitment to cover each other.

in the real military world, small groups work collaboratively. You don't need to have too much of a plan, just know some basic signals to keep the sound down and move together tactically ? Discussing firepower and splitting up the pyros is probably about as much as would need to be planned i guess.

I was stuck behind a barricade with another younger player in one game and he thought we were pinned down. I showed him how to use covering fire as a distraction and it worked out fine.

Using tactical maneuvers is probably a big part of the fun isn't it

yer its good to stick with a couple of people, if you can get some actual friends to go then its better cos you know them but you can get to know players at the site, my last game i didnt know anyone but once you get to a position you can have a quick chat and move off together. sometimes people like to run and gun and some like to team up. i prefer to team up with around 2 people as you can put down a good base of fire but your not a massive target and can cover most angles. when i get back from my travels i intend to put a small team together.

• Supporters

My first (and so far only) airsofting thing I went with a couple of friends. One of them I regularly play Battlefield with, the other not. We started out fine as a small fireteam but as soon as one or more of us got hit and respawned it all went to shit. The site (The Malls in Reading) is pretty confusing if you don't know the layout so getting back to your "squad" wasn't always easy (no radios or owt) but there was usually a couple of guys near or at respawn and it was always fine to just tag along with them. It became apparent VERY quickly those with a tactical mind and those that had no clue at all though. CQB (in my humble opinion at least) demands an amount of co-operation as covering fire seems crucial to movement.

• Supporters

CQB (in my humble opinion at least) demands an amount of co-operation as covering fire seems crucial to movement.

Yeah, I'd tend to agree. In woodland terrain you've got more space so, if you can't go forward, you can often go around. However it's a sad fact that real airsofters aren't anywhere near as stupid as sprites or TV/film baddies, so there's only so much flanking they're not going to notice: sooner or later, you have to get to grips with the enemy and then it's the same tactical situation - if you don't keep their heads down, they'll be in a position to pop anybody that moves.

I usually play tactically with my bro and that seems to be very effective in woodland areas, urban and cqb a team of 4 works well to :)

Archived