W700 or SVD Dragunov?

cdog9800
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am currently looking to buy a spring two tone sniper rifle and have found these two from airsoft world:

W700 at £79.95 (http://www.airsoftworld.net/airsoft-guns/two-tone-guns-no-vcra-ukara-registration-required/two-tone-w700-super-9-airsoft-sniper-rifle.html)

SVD Dragunov at £99.99 (currently on sale from 139.99) (http://www.airsoftworld.net/airsoft-guns/two-tone-guns-no-vcra-ukara-registration-required/twotone-aandk-dragunov-svd-airsoft-sniper-rifle-spring.html)

Can anyone recommend the better gun and why? I am mainly looking for a very powerful sniper. And if there is a gun that is better than both of these if someone could post a link to where i can buy it that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks anyway,

Cdog

EDIT: I do not intend to go skirmishing with this gun, I am looking for a sniper to use in my garden (which is very long) to shoot things from long distances.

Welcome to the forums! I'm guessing you're new to airsoft and you want a good skirmishable primary weapon. First off I suggest you forget about sniper rifles and get yourself a good AEG. Also the sniper rifles you suggested suck let alone that if you were to get a good sniper rifle you still need to spend loads to upgrade it. I suggest anything by G&G or SRC or CYMA if you're on a budget.

If you are still a newbie at airsoft, (judging by your guns) you are better off buying an AEG than a sniper rifle.

Please listen to me and stormhall, i've been through this before and you are really actually better off with an AEG. Let me give you a situation, this is quoting Airsoft-Ed;

"Picture this, you're hiding from the enemy, you're planning an ambush, they can't see you.

Then suddenly, one spots you and 2 of them open up on full auto.

You. Are. Screwed.

Spring snipers give you one shot and one shot alone, without upgrades they will have the same range as a regular AEG and the same accuracy.

Thing is, airsoft guns aren't accurate, so although that sounds alright, you can fire BBs as well as they can, but they can fire 1000 at you in a minute, and you can only fire about 25.

Who's going to win?

Not you. Not even if you're the most pro shot ever.

You're just buying yourself a shit time with a sniper. Even I've done it, I speak with experience. Any AEG is better than a sniper, unless it's one of those shit, sub £50 ones from JBBG. Or the sniper has £150+ upgrades in it and is based on a good platform, like the VSR or APS2 L96s."

But just for the fact, the SVD would be better purely because it's metal and would probably be a better upgrading platform.

But never the less, don't get a sniper rifle until you are an experienced airsoft player.

Get a G&G combat machine, preferably a raider or mp5a4, you'll be satisfied with them.

I own the W700 and it may be a nice little gun at first. You realise that the hop is s*** and it has no room for upgrades. I've spent a lot trying to get it into sniping grade and it still isn't. I would get the A&K as parts are easier to find. But remember, with the guns, you need to buy a scope, new hop-up, spring guide, piston, a new trigger box etc. It will cost a lot of money to get it into working order if you're lucky (it will cost you at least £100 - £150).

If you are new or have a limited budget, I'd suggest starting with an AEG, like everyone else has said or you're not going to have a good time. Also, you may not be interested in sniping as it involves a lot of waiting and sitting just to pull off that one shot. Standing on the front line will get you shot. I'd suggest trying a sniper before you buy to see if you enjoy that role or not. I have seen too many people get a sniper rifle and find out that it is not what they thought it would be.

EDIT: Also some quoting from the W700:

" Reality check time however. This is the cheapest bolt action rifle we have ever offered and as such, you shouldn't think that it is some super-duper custom rifle."

"They weren't terribly well regarded and they didn't shoot brilliantly"

Coming from a person who started out using sniper rifles, for the love of god take our advice when we say to either hire first and then buy your own AEG. Out of the box, snipers are a gimmick, especially VSR clones. To get a sniper to work at an actual level of long-range pinpoint accuracy, it's going to need a **** ton of upgrading, which costs MORE money, and even then may not work like you want it to.

A more logical choice would be to buy an AEG and turn it into a DMR, some AEGs are already solid DMR platforms out the box.

EDIT: I know this comes off that I'm trying to force you into not buying a spring sniper, but there are so many new forum members saying they want to buy sniper rifles that I'm worried that some airsoft sites are going to be plagued with guys trying to shoot each other with .25 gram BBs from 60-80 meters away.

• Supporters

^^and failing miserably unless they upgrade their rifles...

I've recently spent nearly £80 extra on mine before i even had the bastard! It's a 3rd hand A&K SVD two-tone, no doubt bought by somebody like yourself originally. I've spent literally days combing the net to get upgrades as cheap as poss & even so i'm expecting to spend at least another £55 on internals, but probably more. Bear in mind i already have a scope. I may buy a Dragunov scope as well though and then there's the paint, the varnish and a sling. I also already have a rocket launcher sock which i can use to carry several long guns, but at 126cm you need a massive rifle bag...

Archived