100 yard target GBBR?

adam bussey
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

is there anyway on making a GBBR specifically for target shooting that will fire out to 100 yards accurately?

• Supporters

WE M4 on CO2 mags.

Longest 6.01/02/03 barrel you can find with a nice hop rubber.

.36's or heavier and you may, with fettling, on a warm day get somewhere near.

Bigger hammer spring, bore out the rocket valve/replace with a larger one.

At that kind of distance though, no matter how much power you give, you're going to start getting fliers - BBs are naturally unstable in flight, unlike a real bullet.

I am thinking of making a GBBR for use on 50m-100m ranges to keep my weapons handling skills up.

• Supporters

It'd be fairly possible with a gas bolt action sniper. In fact I've seen a video on YouTube of a guy hitting player at 107yards with a gas bolt action R700 fitted with a High Pressure Air rig and running at 550fps.

So if you upped it to 600fps or more and used teflon coated, glass, or copper rounds, it ought to be highly possible.

Thing is, if you wanted a bolt action, you'd just use an air rifle, right?

I'm not sure if it'd be possible with a gas blowback rifle though, the mechanics don't perfectly copy over. The gas pressure gets split between sending the shot down range and cycling the bolt. You can set how much gas escapes the magazine, but you can't set how much of it gets sent forward to send the round, and backwards to cycle the bolt.

So one shot you might see 5cm^3 of the gas go into cycling the bolt, when on the next shot it might go to sending the shot downrange. You just can't make it consistent enough to maintain accuracy at those sort of distances.

It's also unlikely that the internal parts would be able to withstand the pounding they'd get operating under the pressure levels required to fire a heavy enough projectile, far enough to be accurate at that range.

You'd need to make some heavy hop modifications too, and GBBR housings wouldn't really cater for the mods. You'd have to pretty much redesign the whole breach section of the rifle.

If you really want something to keep your weapon handling skills up then take a look at this.

http://www.tokyohobby.net/blog/2010/08/02/top-m4a1-carbine-ultimate-ejection-blowback-air-gun/

Very realistic in operation and being an electric rifle you can get really good results in range

• Supporters

The nature of the mechanism limits you to around 350fps though, there's also no feedback from the cycling of the bolt, so I'd say a gas rifle would still be the better choice for target shooting.

Or a TM recoil series rifle.

Instead of shooting targets at 100 yards, why not reduce the size of the targets by 75% and shoot for 25 yards? You could use a much wider selection of airsoft guns then, without suffering as much from any loss of accuracy.

• Supporters

It wouldn't be accurate out to 100 yards, maybe about 60 at a push if the hop can handle up to .46g BBs.

I'm not sure if it'd be possible with a gas blowback rifle though, the mechanics don't perfectly copy over. The gas pressure gets split between sending the shot down range and cycling the bolt. You can set how much gas escapes the magazine, but you can't set how much of it gets sent forward to send the round, and backwards to cycle the bolt.

So one shot you might see 5cm^3 of the gas go into cycling the bolt, when on the next shot it might go to sending the shot downrange. You just can't make it consistent enough to maintain accuracy at those sort of distances.

You'd need to make some heavy hop modifications too, and GBBR housings wouldn't really cater for the mods. You'd have to pretty much redesign the whole breach section of the rifle.

The NPAS is exactly meant to let you decide the amount of gas sent forward to the BB, and rearwards to the blowback.

It's pretty consistent, its only cooldown that affects the variance, but for WE guns, the new GenII mags are pretty good for this.

My Ra-Tech 416 shoots 60m quite accurately on .3g bbs. I bet if you put up the FPS to a DMR level, and put a much longer TB in you could see better.

• Supporters

I guess that was a failure to explain on my part. It's not so much that you can't set what gas goes where, it's that you can't account for minor variations. If we're talking about accuracy at 100 yards, even an NPAS kit isn't going to be good enough at splitting the gas.

• Supporters

Although really, handling skills are no different at 100 yards or 25 yards, the difference being is that with an airsoft gun at 100yards you're going to be lucky to hit a man sized target and if there's any wind at all you might as well give up entirely.

If you want a gun to practice changing mags quickly and going through NSPs then just get a standard AEG and use touch drills. I'm guessing your weapons handling 'skills' are largely from the SA80 as you're a cadet so realistically you're never going to achieve a 'speed reload'. Failing that I think someone makes a GBB SA80 so that might be worth looking into.

If you want something to target shoot at 100yards and maintain muscle memory for the SA80 platform, you're going to need to shoot an SA80, that's just how it is!

If you made a G36 DMR, it would be pretty stable. The mags are pretty good for that.

WE do a GBB L85

Handling skills ARE the same with any type of gun, but you can get away with sloppy practices with an AEG more so than a GBB. It forces you to be much more stable and reliable with your weapon.

For target shooting I don't think Airsoft weapons will give you the constants you need for target shooting, I'd of thought an air rifle would be a superior choice, stable ammunition, rifled barrel so less variables for you to worry about. You'd only need to concentrate on you position, sight picture wind all that good stuff!

Or a GSG mp5.

.22 cal mp5 clone, good for gun control and good at 100y targets too.

Even an air rifle is going to be struggling at 100 yards for consistent accuracy, unless you go down the FAC rated air rifle route, in which case going for a 0.22LR rifle would be a more suitable option if an FAC is a possibility. A standard sub-12flbs air rifle is going to be shooting at about the limit of it's usable range at 100yds, as the amount of aim off with a 0.22 would be huge and even a 0.177 would be a fairly looping shot at that range. If you want accuracy you really need to go down the cartridge route, or reduce the range to about 60 yards with an air rifle.

Yeah, my comment is for a .22LR so FAC is required.

Its a good choice, I mean £100 for a safe, £50 for license and £500 for a HK MP5SD, or you can get a Remminton speed master (which is a pretty damn good rifle BTW) which ive seen sell for as little as £50.

and CCI ammo is pretty much the best .22LR ammo you want to buy, as the rest always seems to have issues with cycling in my mp5.

I mean if you have a good range local (the range by me is a target range only which means shooting jackets) which I hate, i rather real shooting not arm in a tangled up strap with no ability to move my arm once its strapped in. any way, if you want to get some trigger time and such, go for the FAC opition, if you can check out the NRA website for their next open day (they let you try out a wide selection of guns) they do a few every year all around the country so if youre against the fence on which you want to do it can help push you in the direction you want.

It wouldn't really work. Propane is a constant 200~ PSI. It expands as it is released.

Using compressed air from a compressor, it will start 200psi, but then would drop. After a few shots you would be at a much lower PSI, and thus less FPS.

Compressing to a higher psi would knacker the seals.

Archived