Potential Skirmish sites.

SheriffHD
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok, well I thought this may be an entertaining topic to go over.

Lets see how friendly our country is for airsofting.

Go to google and look in the areas near you which you think might be ideal for airsofting. Post up pictures to give others ideas how the site could work/operate.

Who knows, some one might see your proposed field and open a site up. or others could discuss upsides and downsides to your ideas.

I'll start with this one mine that I used to live near. I poked around several times when I lived in the area because there was nothing else to do.

Front-entrance_zpscda37f07.png

As you can see from the front gates, The buildings make for a good playing field. and the fencing that goes around the site can be expanded by a few feet to offer better protection on the road from stray BB's.
The gate also follows through to a little area which could be used for Parking and as a safe zone.

main-Buildings_zps837e7a42.png

Another angle from the front shows more of the Buildings. The vegetation being nice and thick will make for good and easy flanking, while the buildings will make for close combat and also as an objective base for the entire map. So game play could really benefit from the mix of open woods and light industrial.

Train-Station_zpsbda84189.png

Being Right next to a train station also means that getting to the site is very easy for players who do not drive. Which can be an issue for many. As alot of sites are a awkward walk down country roads.
Parallel to the train line is also 2 rows of tree line, and by limited the skirmish to the first tree line would limit the amount of stray shots that could drift onto the track.

Assault-plan_zps24ca289f.png

The red line equals the game play area.

The red cross lines are the buffer zones. which means that BB's could fly saftly in these areas and still not pose a high risk of going onto public view (gardens roads train line) how ever on some parts additional safe guards would need to be put into place. (road and train line)
Additional parking can be seen on the bottom right on the above picture, which is an old unused working mans club. Shops are located down too.

The size In general equals to about 60 acres with more woodland not seen int he above image further up on the field. The game mode could vary for a longer lasting rush game mode with plenty of space for flanking as well as a more urban area for doing a deathmatch style game mode.

So, lets see what sites you can find which could be used.
You could also Impliment a Dynamic game mode

That looks like it would be an amazing site – it's kind of perfect.

I think the problem with these plots becoming airsoft sites is that the value of the land supersedes the potential profit over many years. That place right there – probably worth £1M or above easy.

That looks like it would be an amazing site – it's kind of perfect.

I think the problem with these plots becoming airsoft sites is that the value of the land supersedes the potential profit over many years. That place right there – probably worth £1M or above easy.

Indeed. Its usually a case of getting in contact with the owner and seeing if they are willing to rent the area. Seen this alot with sites that are due to be demolished. If you can get lucky you can get it for free, but id guess for a site like this I would picture the owner doing a contract rental so you would really want to make sure that you could get a good turn out to every game to avoid being at too much of a loss

Indeed. Its usually a case of getting in contact with the owner and seeing if they are willing to rent the area. Seen this alot with sites that are due to be demolished. If you can get lucky you can get it for free, but id guess for a site like this I would picture the owner doing a contract rental so you would really want to make sure that you could get a good turn out to every game to avoid being at too much of a loss

Benefit of the site you picked is the sheer number it could hold comfortably. Probably get 100 people each side. Now that's an earner if you can get that many people.

• 2 weeks later...

Your site suggestion looks really good! I suppose, if a rent-per-day-you-use-it contract could be negotiated, there's no reason why you couldn't hold an event here just once a month, to ensure that it was maxed out. If you discovered that there were often not enough spaces, you could then do twice a month etc.

Im surprised Shadow Opz in Dover has not asked to you the massive empty barracks in dover. its huge and been sat empty for like 7 years.

it has part of an old fort attached to it as well, its got all the elements for CQB,woodland an urban fights.

Connaught Barracks please someone use them!!!

yeah I remember Connaught Barracks, broke into there a few times to explore. would be a pretty decent site. although I thought they wanted to turn the place into houses? Lots of Old MOD bases that people want to throw housing onto always end up remaining empty for years.

I mean, dover has these two sites, I too am surprised shadow ops havnt looked into these places. Wouldnt mind if Invicta Airsoft was still going too, they had some nice fields which they used.

connaught is massive and has so much potential. i dunno dino the guy who runs it, not sure if he has inquired at other places, we suggested the phizers sites as theres so many unused buildings there.

• 2 months later...

Funnily enough, although I've only just stumbled across this, I did look at this site in the last six months myself. I've been all over the site, mostly the best part of 20 years ago on motorbikes.

It has several buildings near the road, ten a large open area before woodland at the back (about half a mile from the buildings). I thought that the coal board might be up for getting a bit of cash for it, seeing as its stood empty for decades.

Unfortunately when I spoke to the chap (Phil Brandrethi think his name was) at the coal authority in charge of the site he wasn't enthusiastic. I basically asked him if it was worth me putting a proper written proposal together and he told me it wasn't something he would be interested in at all.

As for value of the site (someone suggested a mil) IIRC the landowner turned down an offer in the region of £5million in 2007. Basically the coal authority pays rent of £170,000 p.a. Plus substantial security costs for this derelict site - has done for the last 20 years and still must until at least 2042.

An added complication is that there is rare, and possibly protected, plant life growing in the central area and between the buildings and the railway station.

Overall it's a potentially great site (hence why I looked at it) but will never happen for the reasons above. Shame really.

Archived