Hi all I'm new

GarageEpic
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone. I purchased an AK74 a while ago off a nice gent, and since then I have been blatting leaves in my back garden. It's good for the odd five mins of fun, but to be honest I don't think I will use it much, other than to shoot the odd tin can, or to take moody photographs looking like a Syrian.

Does anyone know how I can get it valued?

This is not a for sale thread, I'd just like to know how much its worth, as I can't find any info at all on the web.

Also, can anyone recommend good targets to shoot, or what they shoot for fun.

It's a CM full auto AK74 (47). I'm thinking a sniper rifle maybe more fun??

Anyway, hi everyone

• Supporters

Some photos of the whole gun and some close ups, including any trademarks, the battery, with the top cover off, and with the magazine out looking up into the magazine well, would help in identifying it, but the CM probably means it's a CYMA. There's good news and bad news. As is traditional, the bad news first: they are some of the cheapest skirmishable guns new. The good news: despite their price, CYMA AK's are very good.

Is the receiver (main body where the pistol grip & stock attach) made from metal or plastic? Whereabouts is the trademark? Do you have a box with it? If so a photo of that might help too.

Also there are some legal implications, but we'll get to them when we know what we're dealing with.

• Supporters

true, true

• Supporters

Didn't spot that M_P - yeah, that's what it is then.

Here you go, Epic.

Now, the legalaties. You should not have been able to buy that gun because it is a Realistic Imitation Firearm and you are not yet an airsofter in the eyes of the law. You are not committing an offence by owning it, but the "nice gent" did by selling it to you. If you are spotted outside with it by somebody who get's freaked out and calls the old bill, they will confiscate it and attempt to prosecute the gent. I expect that they would charge you with perverting the course of public justice, or something of the sort, unless you are demonstrably helpful with their enquiries, or have a bloody good reason why you can't be (it was John, in the pub; no dunno him, just seen him about; 5'9" dark hair, leather jacket, jeans, trainers; white guy yeah, but a bit tanned, maybe mixed race; look I've only seen him a couple of times and I was pissed - is going to get you a minimum 36hr lockdown in the cop shop). For more info google Violent Crime Reduction Act and/or check the UK Law section of this forum.

As for value, depending on the condition and what comes with it, you could get anything from £75-£110.

Edit to revise value down b/c you can get them from gunfire.pl for £134.26 inc Free Shipping (EU - no import tax)

• Supporters

BUMP in case OP misses above edit.

Thanks for the replies.

I understand the legalities, unfortunately I believe that a person of sound mind is responsible for what he can, or cannot do (own or buy), and people do not need a retarded nanny police law every 5 seconds to tell them what to do, how to drive, what to buy, and where to shop. I'm responsible for my own actions, and I will not be told how to live by people distant to me and my way of life.

Luckily the life I live seems to adhere mainly within someone else's vision of right and wrong haha (I must be of sound mind- lucky me)

Thanks for the info though chap

That said, it is an electric gun, made from abs and metal and is a100% replica (material wise) of an actual firearm. It's desert sand and black in colour

Foldable stock etc and a couple of mags. Has semi and full auto

I will get the code off the box in a minute and post it up.

I don't think airsoft is something I want to get into (the dressing up, shooting each other bit) but do like to shoot the odd tin can I must admit.

Does anyone know the best sort of targets?

Yeah sounds like a CYMA to me.

As for the law, it is what it is. its a load of crap, but its there.

I understand you not wanting to play the sport, the dressing up puts many off.

But doesnt change the fact they are nice to hold and shoot.

You can get the metal traps which people use for air rifle shooting. Or if you want cheap, flatten out some tin cans ad cut them to shape and use segments of a metal coat hanger as a stand. assemble using hot glue for cheap and easy home made targets.

I thinks the words from Ian are a small word of caution to you and others.

The law is there to protect people as airsoft gun's pose such an intimidation to lets say the "general public" and i understand. This is due to the fact that most people can not tell the difference and so if you are doing some legitimate target practice in your back garden and some one see you they may not understand the difference between the plastic ball bearings and a small piece of lead that will kill. Especially with all that is going on in the world.

After all my experience and expertise i can say the police are there to protect the "general public" and its the odd few that have caused the airsoft laws, but they are right to be in place.

I agree. I wasn't knocking them. I was just saying give me credit for knowing what's right and wrong.

I have informed my neighbours (only have one as I own a country farmhouse) that I have a replica gun, so they don't call the Popo when I'm in the back garden.

I also don't like my kids seeing me use it. Too many real guns in the hands of idiots in the world. So I'm pretty careful. My kids know about it, but I hate the idea that they think indescriminate shooting should be taken lightly.

I'm loving the tin can idea with the hanger! Thanks for that.

Ive made plenty of ghetto targets in my time. You can also try getting Impact sensors from Maplins and rigging up a circuit to time your shots (I like doing quick shot challenges, 5 targets 5 rounds quick as I can)

Also you can try and make a rail system from pvc piping (costs about £2 for about 8feet of the stuff) use rollerblade wheels or skateboard wheels and make moving targets.
Lots of little tinkers you can do on the cheap for entertaining shooting practice.

• Supporters

Yeah, it's often been said that the law is an ass. It's probably good that you've told your neighbour, you will want to avoid being seen by the general, unknown to you, public too: you just don't need the aggro. The reason the old bill will go seemingly nuts at you is because, if they do get called out to somebody wielding an assault rifle, it'll be several armed response units that turn up - probably the coppers with the least sense of humour, but also such a callout costs money: even though they may personally realise that this section of the VCRA has serious flaws, they will want a conviction, or some bean counter somewhere will press the "sh!t rolls downhill" button.

These targets are a bit crap, because the frame gets shattered by BB hits :lol: however, the sticky surface is great stuff and very durable. You can put whatever image you like behind it and, obviously, make your own frame (you can get 6" square ones too if cutting a round hole out of plywood is too much hassle). They allow you to see exactly where you hit the target as the BB sticks for a while. Another good idea is net BB catchers for use behind targets - so long as your target does not damage the BB's, you can collect them and reuse them. Note - doing this is not recommended, but I do it all the time (and so do others) and I've never had any problems. You just have to sort them through your fingers to remove any shattered bits (BB's can shatter against each other).

miKgtcdjpLbzg9FidaLt0WQ.jpgmJKNpHb_WvmWT5Qr9oS74HQ.jpg251032335790_4.jpg

• Supporters

Had a call out twice to my friends garden when we were shooting, the armed police didnt care to much, they had pistols in a holster but they just walked in to the garden and couldnt really care that it was a bb gun. I think they had asumed as much when they came out due to how relaxed their were when they came into the garden (I guess they could hear the motor as they walked down the ally) While one was talking to us about gun saftey and the importance of leting people next door know it was only a toy gun, the other officer was stood shooting the aeg getting the targets feeling all cuffed wen he hit all the cans of the wall.
had a very plesant experience with the guys to be honest.

• Supporters

@da-rif: i'm pleased to hear that, but trust me, that is far from normal armed police behaviour!

Archived