Any point in UKARA?

ipxfreeze14
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Don't get mad at me for asking this, but do you guys/girls see any point in UKARA any more as people always find ways around it?

It enables me to buy stuff online easily if I want, it gives me a little more confidence when travelling with my RIFs that not only can I explain myself at the time, but I can also point to it as proof that I'm a 'regular' player. It doesn't cost me anything.

Do all in all, I don't see why anyone has issue with it.

If it was (say) £50 a year 'membership' then I probably wouldn't bother.

It enables me to buy stuff online easily if I want, it gives me a little more confidence when travelling with my RIFs that not only can I explain myself at the time, but I can also point to it as proof that I'm a 'regular' player. It doesn't cost me anything.

Do all in all, I don't see why anyone has issue with it.

If it was (say) £50 a year 'membership' then I probably wouldn't bother.

Asi said its my opinion thanks fr the view

Asi said its my opinion thanks fr the view

If I were being pedantic I'd say you didn't actually state your opinion at all - you asked if any of us saw a point to it ;)

I know it doesn't ACTUALLY mean anything if I happen to get stopped transporting RIFs - but on the basis that any copper I'd be dealing with probably wouldn't know the rules themselves, it could be convenient to point it out to them......

Thanks for pointing that out I just think Britain's over protective with things like that. We should just have the orange flash hider like the USA

Yeah, the law as it sits was the best option we were given, that or have the sport out right banned.

UKARA helps prove that we actually play, so means that we can buy online and get parts shipped in.

• Supporters

Don't get mad at me for asking this, but do you guys/girls see any point in UKARA any more as people always find ways around it?

Do you understand the implications of the VCRA and the valid defence (not UKARA) that allows the sport of airsoft to carry on?

The VRCA states:-

36Manufacture, import and sale of realistic imitation firearms(1)A person is guilty of an offence if—

(a)he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;

(b)he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm;

©he sells a realistic imitation firearm; or

(d)he brings a realistic imitation firearm into Great Britain or causes one to be brought into Great Britain.

The VCRA then allows certain defences and one of those coveras airsoft skirmishers who are over 18 years old.

UKARA is simply the method that retailers use to check that the buyer has a valid defence and protects the seller from prosecution under 36©.

A child, such as yourself, may be able to find ways to buy a RIF but i doubt if it would be from a UKARA retailer and your statement that "people always find ways around it" has no foundation. It is so easy for airsoft players who are over 18 to get a valid defence and UKARA registration that there is no need for them to `get around it'.

• Supporters

No harm in having an opinion but it helps to have a basic understanding of the issue before expressing your opinion. Stating that people will find a way around UKARA shows that you do not understand what UKARA is all about.

It would help if you read the faq's on their website at http://www.ukara.org.uk/questions.php

Who are UKARA ?

UKARA are a group of Airsoft retailers who have formed an association
to protect their businesses and enable the sale of Realistic Imitation
Firearms ( RiF's), to the newly restricted recognised and approved
customers resulting from the Violent Crime Reduction Act (VCRA).

You do not have to register with UKARA in order to buy a RIF - the SELLER just needs to be able to check that you have a valid defence in order to avoid breaking the law - it is the seller who would break the law and not the purchaser (unless the pourchaser is under 18).

If people are finding ways of buying RIFs without having a valid defence then they are not getting around UKARA but the sellers are breaking the law.

No harm in having an opinion but it helps to have a basic understanding of the issue before expressing your opinion. Stating that people will find a way around UKARA shows that you do not understand what UKARA is all about.

It would help if you read the faq's on their website at http://www.ukara.org.uk/questions.php

Who are UKARA ?

UKARA are a group of Airsoft retailers who have formed an association

to protect their businesses and enable the sale of Realistic Imitation

Firearms ( RiF's), to the newly restricted recognised and approved

customers resulting from the Violent Crime Reduction Act (VCRA).

You do not have to register with UKARA in order to buy a RIF - the SELLER just needs to be able to check that you have a valid defence in order to avoid breaking the law - it is the seller who would break the law and not the purchaser (unless the pourchaser is under 18).

If people are finding ways of buying RIFs without having a valid defence then they are not getting around UKARA but the sellers are breaking the law.

Fair enough

Thanks for pointing that out I just think Britain's over protective with things like that. We should just have the orange flash hider like the USA

orange tip? no thanks.

Orage tip = No registration required and no two tone. but would mean orange tip would have to stay on regardless.

Current state = rent or two tone untill you get your ukara registration form which you can then own a realistic looking rifle with no bright tip.

the two tone is a pain in the arse, but I think the registration is the better opition, mainly as it helps out should you get pulled over my police, the ability to prove on the spot that you have a reason as to why you are carrying a bb gun is nice.

• Supporters

Loads of Us players don't use the red tips on their guns so there must be some way around it.

Seeing as we can both completely black guns, the comparison is between 2tone and orange tips- I know which I'd rather.

• Supporters

Had a look at some US forums and there seems to be a bit of confusion about what is allowed etc. Some say the orange tips are only required when transporting the guns whilst others say they have to stay on when playing. It also seems to vary from state to state.

I would still prefer a system which allowed any member of a recognised airsoft site (with parents able to become members if their kid is a registered junior member) to buy RIFs and then either scrap all two-tones or rstrict their power to a low level suitable as kids toys.

Restrict the power......Now thats an idea no one wants.

Loads of Us players don't use the red tips on their guns so there must be some way around it.

Seeing as we can both completely black guns, the comparison is between 2tone and orange tips- I know which I'd rather.

I say orange tip

I say orange tip

The main reason for the 'Orange tip' in the US is because you can legally own an AR15 and various other rifles. It is supposed to be a quick way for law enforcement to distinguish between the real firearms and the toy guns.

Never quite got how that is supposed to work as you could paint your real steel flash hider orange????

• Supporters

Restrict the power......Now thats an idea no one wants.

Would only want that for two-tones if there was a way for all genuine airsofters to buy RIFs - that wiould include a system where the parents of junior members could buy them.

The only need for two-tones in airsofting is for the under 18's

The main reason for the 'Orange tip' in the US is because you can legally own an AR15 and various other rifles. It is supposed to be a quick way for law enforcement to distinguish between the real firearms and the toy guns.

Never quite got how that is supposed to work as you could paint your real steel flash hider orange????

I would still rather have the orange tip in the UK instead of Two-Tone

I would still rather have the orange tip in the UK instead of Two-Tone

I am quite happy with the way it is.

UKARA is there for the retailers and ourselves if we need it.

As long as you are over eighteen and can prove a defence you can buy an RIF. You don't need UKARA as long as you can provide a defence. But it's nice to know it is there and recognised so if the wrost happens you have a legitimate way of proving your defence to the boys in blue.

I am not sure how old you are but it seems you are more bothered with the fact that it has to be someone over the age of eighteen, with a defence, who is allowed to buy an RIF? Therefore your parents cant just go and buy you an RIF.

• Supporters

It's the same Agenda behind all these threads that pop up complaining about two tone's U18's want easier acces to RIF's and so they get pissy because Mom and dad won't go play as they think ukara is the law when corrected it quickly become's a comparison between the US and UK which have totally different Mindset's and are then Uncomparable!

TT's are a perfectly Good solution that I'm content with.

Would only want that for two-tones if there was a way for all genuine airsofters to buy RIFs - that wiould include a system where the parents of junior members could buy them.

The only need for two-tones in airsofting is for the under 18's

that doesnt make any sense really. no under 18's would play the game because they would be at a disadvantage. and as it is at the moment at least, with no ukara, they can get the same rifle as every one else, just two toned.

Archived