Just starting out !

Ghostmachine
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

welcome to the forums ghost B) Please stop by the newbie section and have a read on the sticky threads, lots of good info there :)

please please dont get a sniper as a first gun, they are very unrewarding to play out of the box and require upgrades. Airsoft skirmishes are fast paced and bb's do take time to travel, and AEG's have almost the same range as a (semi) upgraded sniper!

Generally:

Spring= more power but can only fire as fast as you can cock. Requires patience usually sniper rifles apply. (Unless your dual weilding spring pistols :P)

Electric = Fast rate of fire, can get high capacity mags that hold around 300-400 rds. Simple straight forward recommended for a beginner- low maintenance.

Gas= Comes in pistol or gas blowback rifle form - high maintence. Not recommend for beginners, but über cool :D

Cheers mate , also what's the differance with gas , spring , electric ?

Gas you have to buy bottles of gas and refil the gun (most sights only allow gas pistols), spring only really snipers use spring and so do some shot guns and electric (AEG) is the most common that uses a special type of battery that all sights let you use.

• Supporters

To add to Kara66 's post

Spring = sniper or shotgun, abit limited (in my opoinon), pistols i wouldnt advise (i have a few from along time ago, no real use in skirmishes etc)

Electric = Cheap! only running costs are (usually) bb's and battery charges, very low maintainence (unless upgraded and or model dependant) huge mag capacities, and you can get almost any gun in aeg format. mags are relativly cheap too. lots of upgrades.

Gas = Expensave! gas isnt that cheap, not every type of gun is covered yet, yes they do look cool, but if you run them on propane to save money they stink

Yeah as every has said already. Spring rifles are only really worth it when you have a decent sniper rifle, which you then want to upgrade to get it to a point where it has good range.

AEG (electric) rifles are by far the most used rifles out on the field. they are easy to maintain, good for a beginer and not only are the guns cheap, but parts are also cheap, including additional magazines.

Gas rifles are my personal favourite, the give you a little kick which I would compare to a .22LR rifle, but they require alot of maintance, the replacement parts can be a pain to get hold of (kight just be me being a retard though) but they do have the better trigger response over an AEG.

Gas pistols, alot of people own these, but never use these. On large woodland sites the only times ive seen these out of their holsters are when they have fallen out. But if you are doing a game that has CQB areas, or are doing a site that is CQB only, then they are alot of fun. The realistic block back action looks cool as hell too. but its a good way to learn and get used to maintaining of a gas gun.

• Supporters

The best gun to start with is the hire gun at your local site. Use those while you get your defence as then you will have an incredible choice of RIFs to choose from.

During the breaks in the game day, talk with the other players and look at their guns - hold them etc (some may even let you fire a few bbs if the site has a test range.

On a game day try acting in a sniper role - maybe the hire gun will not be ideal for this but it will give you an idea if you enjoy the role or prefer a more attack/defence one. Just remember that you should only fire if you are at the minimum site distance for using a sniper to make it a better test.

A spring gun is only really useful in a sniper role as they are single shot, recock and fire again. Nowhere near the fire rate of electric or gas. Electric guns require less maintenance and work all year round - some gas guns struggle in cold weather.

Enjoy the sport and welcome to the forum.

Something I've noticed with these new members is that almost ALL of them want snipers. Clearly there is some sort of illusion that sniper rifles in airsoft are incredibly efficient, accurate and powerful (Like in the real steel world), whereas realistically it is far from that. I admit making a mistake buying a Snow Wolf back in October, but unfortunately I'm stuck with this rifle now, and all I can do now is upgrade it to s**t!

You should start out using your local site's hire gun, then once you get a defence, buy your own AEG. If you want to buy an airsoft sniper rifle, you MUST be prepared to fork out at least another £100 on upgrades. My best advice is to not buy a spring rifle at all, instead just buy an AEG and turn it into a DMR (Buy something like a VFC/Umarex HK417, which is already practically a DMR out of the box, badass looking too.) You will get the same results as you would with a spring rifle, but you can put more rounds down range if you miss with an AEG than you can with a spring rifle. Cocking a spring rifle also disrupts your aim, whereas with an AEG you can keep firing successive shots while you continue to track the target.

Well, that's my advice, hope it helps. ;)

Something I've noticed with all these new members is that almost ALL of them want snipers. Clearly there is some sort of illusion that sniper rifles in airsoft are incredibly efficient, accurate and powerful (Like in the real steel world), whereas realistically it is far from that. I admit making a mistake buying a Snow Wolf back in October, but unfortunately I'm stuck with this rifle now, and all I can do now is upgrade it to s**t!

You should start out using your local site's hire gun, then once you get a defence, buy your own AEG. If you want to buy an airsoft sniper rifle, you MUST be prepared to fork out at least another £100 on upgrades. My best advice is to not buy a spring rifle at all, instead just buy an AEG and turn it into a DMR (Buy something like a VFC/Umarex HK417, which is already practically a DMR out of the box, badass looking too.) You will get the same results as you would with a spring rifle, but you can put more rounds down range if you miss with an AEG than you can with a spring rifle. Cocking a spring rifle also disrupts your aim, whereas with an AEG you can keep firing successive shots while you continue to track the target.

Well, that's my advice, hope it helps. ;)

Blame COD and battlefield for this

When I started airsoft I thought I could maybe roll a sniper with an EOtech or with the iron-sights and be a mid to long range rifleman (like those in WWII) but when I realized that the minimum engagement distance was 30m for anyone with a sniper I was just said to myself "looks like I'm getting an AEG!" And so now I have this great SRC SR4 in my possession and works like a charm.

Archived