Does being a PCSO provide you a defence to buy an RIF?

snowy70838
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As above, does being a PCSO provide you a defence to buy an RIF?

I am not sure as I thought that a police officer was not a Crown Servant (legal term) but a servant of the crown?

Anyone know the answer to this one?

Thanks

I'm guessing that you're trying to refer to 37.2f of the VCRA:

"(f) the purposes of functions that a person has in his capacity as a person in the service of Her Majesty."

It wouldn't as your role within your service does not tie into using or owning a RIF. You would have to seek your defense elsewhere, such as a skirmisher.

Also PCSO isn't a real police officer :P

• Supporters

short answer is no.

the corwn servant bit, is basically the goverment buying one, with a goverment order number etc, for goverment use etc (i.e. meaning it is still the property of the goverment, and you cannot take it home etc)

sorry to be abrupt but there is alot of questions like these

I'm guessing that you're trying to refer to 37.2f of the VCRA:

"(f) the purposes of functions that a person has in his capacity as a person in the service of Her Majesty."

It wouldn't as your role within your service does not tie into using or owning a RIF. You would have to seek your defense elsewhere, such as a skirmisher.

Also PCSO isn't a real police officer :P

I am not a PCSO, someone who is wants to buy an RIF from me and is using this as his defence.

short answer is no.

the corwn servant bit, is basically the goverment buying one, with a goverment order number etc, for goverment use etc (i.e. meaning it is still the property of the goverment, and you cannot take it home etc)

sorry to be abrupt but there is alot of questions like these

Thanks. Just what I needed to know. As above, I am not a PCSO lol

The fact that this pcso has suggested this is a little bit dishonest! It's actually illegal to use your position to obtain an object or service you otherwise would not get by abusing trust or your authority. I've heard of pcsos/officers sacked for much less!

It's like a male police officer saying "because I am police I can use the ladies toilets". First things first why would you need to and why should you be allowed if not in the course of duty and secondly just NO!!! Lol I hope I have made my point well

The fact that this pcso has suggested this is a little bit dishonest! It's actually illegal to use your position to obtain an object or service you otherwise would not get by abusing trust or your authority. I've heard of pcsos/officers sacked for much less!

It's like a male police officer saying "because I am police I can use the ladies toilets". First things first why would you need to and why should you be allowed if not in the course of duty and secondly just NO!!! Lol I hope I have made my point well

That is a little harsh as anyone, including police officers, can get confused by the legislation. It is not exactly the clearest act ever written.

Plus maybe there is something about his job etc he hasn't told me yet.

i saw this thread and thought i would chuck in my two cents.

A/ I dont think that you can class PCSOs as not real officers they are employed to do a different job.

B/ Without full facts you cant decide if it was a breech of postion,

C/ PCSOs do engagement work within the community at schools youth groups involving those who use BB guns and weapons, knives, motorbikes illegally and some have or are setting up engagement groups to take youths motor-crossing or airsofting instead.

and as pointed out even those in the know get it wrong or have been misled by others who think they are in the know.

after searching the net heres a nice 3 page spread from officers to officers in the public domian.

http://www.policespecials.com/forum/index.php?/topic/104108-crown-servants/

showing that even they are confused what hope is thier for the rest of us

i saw this thread and thought i would chuck in my two cents.

A/ I dont think that you can class PCSOs as not real officers they are employed to do a different job.

B/ Without full facts you cant decide if it was a breech of postion,

C/ PCSOs do engagement work within the community at schools youth groups involving those who use BB guns and weapons, knives, motorbikes illegally and some have or are setting up engagement groups to take youths motor-crossing or airsofting instead.

and as pointed out even those in the know get it wrong or have been misled by others who think they are in the know.

after searching the net heres a nice 3 page spread from officers to officers in the public domian.

http://www.policespecials.com/forum/index.php?/topic/104108-crown-servants/

Deleted comment ......

Obviously from where I'm sitting I don't have all the facts as you never do when you have one of those 'friend of a friend' situations lol

What I would say is the fact as a pcso he's not allowed handcuffs/asp/CS gas/response drive/use force in general... I can't see how he'd be except from a ukara. Even a police officer would t be exempt and he has 10 times the powers. Even if he wanted it for demo sake this would be obtained by someone else higher up the chain and it certainly would not be second hand (only brand new from reputable mainstream shop).

I don't mean to sound like I'm jumping down this guys throat it it seems a bit silly a pcso asking a civvy bout obtaining a RIF when he has a supervisor.

I don't mean to come across strict or like a dick but obtaining a RIF is pretty serious stuff and we don't need any high profile cases bringing the sport into the spotlight

Archived