zombie apocalypse.....would your gun do the job!?

Pointman PUG

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

In the situation I set up in people's minds, pretend I had said I had a "1 to 3 foot long, metal stick, with a pointy end" instead of a katana.

I don't see why it matters that it's a sword and I have no sword training. I wouldn't be swinging it in a doorway, I'd have held it with one hand on the actual handle part, and my other on the back of the blade near the tip, as a guide. Then when I'd lined it up with a zombie's head, thrust it through it's face, severing the spinal cord and rendering it a motionless sack of meat, in my door.

At the distance you use a sword from, and using my forward arm to aim it, missing it would be impossible and having been in high adrenaline, potentially life threatening situations before, I think I'd do alright keeping my cool. Especially with the knowledge that keeping my cool would keep me alive and massively increase my survival chances.

If swinging were required, so what if I dulled the blade or was shit at using it properly? It's a metal stick. It's going to fuck up whatever it smashed into, whether it hits sharp end first or otherwise.

Swords? Knuckle dusters? Really?

I'm going for the semi-auto 12 bore and some 42 gramme BB cartridges. They'll make a BIG hole at close range, and will slow pretty much anything down out to about 30 yards.

And yes, it is another weapon that you need training to use effectively in a stressful situation. Try sticking a solid slug into a charging wild boar for stress, zombies don't even come close!

Airsoft gun, maybe (though all the stuff about needing the space to get a proper swing works as much with a swung "club" as a sword.) Real steel shotgun though, not in the slightest! A couple of thousand cartridges should keep you going for a while, and that's the minimum I keep in the ammunition safe!

Would be fun picking them off at 200-300 yards with the stalking rifle too, though that might give the position away somewhat.

think what you are looking for is a bottle neck that dosent restrict your movement. also by the movements your planing, (stab through the head, surely a spear/halbard would be of a better design for your plan? course im just not a fan of trying to hold out like that against zombies, never works in the movies/games/tv shows etither, they always get bogged down eventually. either get behind some really thick walls, or move around, taking out the isolated ones as safely as possible... unless that door has a remote and will smash through zombies when closed so you can recover when you get eventually tired. im no saying you wont get through 10+ zombies your way, just you will have your limit, as would even a trained swordsman... just dont know the rest of you plan? blaze of glory, taking as many as possible, distraction for others etc. not that its a bad plan, a bad plan is like the camper they found in the walking dead whom hung himself to prevent becommig a zombie, died became a hung zombie.... yours may well have merrit, infact if i ever get round to making a zombie movie/comic it could well be one of the examples i use at some point...

also by no means anywhere near as good as a katana but this is probably what i would run with in zombieland,(probably just the head though, depending...

554472_10151054489180686_1004918315_n_zps3f8f4bb9.jpg

• Supporters

Y'know what? I'm just going to stop commenting.

I read this thread as "Oh look a zombie thing, that'll never happen, let's have fun for 10 minutes"

What I got was, "Hey look, I'm feeling like a pedantic douche, let's all point out every possible flaw in everything Ed's said for the past 3 days"

I KNOW IT'S FLAWED, you could point out flaws with everything everyone has said, as the whole point of zombies is that there's more than one person can ever deal with. Guns, swords, bombs? It doesn't matter, you can't kill them all, your perfect plans will always fall apart in the end.

Otherwise zombie movies would be the most shit movies ever because it'd just be a load of people sat in a bunker until they starved to death.

Stabbing zombies in the face would kill them, no? Whether with a knife, a fork, a sword, a fucking spoon if you stabbed hard enough. You could even punch them in the face until their head's came off.

If they died slightly ahead of a door, they'd slump into it. Zombies coming through would stumble on them, fall in the door as well, positioning themselves perfectly for me to stab them all in the head.

Simples.

I don't care that it wouldn't work forever, I don't care that there are better tools for the job, I don't care that I'm not trained or that apparently, stabbing zombies in the head with sharp things is really hard to do (it isn't btw, have you never seen a zombie movie?)

Now everyone stfu, or I'm going to edit all your posts to just look like you're coming out of the closet or something.

...*evils*

• Supporters

I'm coming out of the closet everyone Can i get a Hand?

I'm secretly gay, everyone. Or at least, I was until now. What better thread to come out of the closet, eh?

Edited by Airsoft-Ed
He asked for it.

Lol.. I agree I think most of us have over thought this out. But it's difficult when you are used to combat (real or airsoft) it's difficult not to risk assess in detail and over complicate a simple discussion

It reminds me once of when I asked my mrs the silly basic question of what would you do with lottery winnings. We got into an argument about what members of friends and family would be given what amounts only to suddenly realise we have not and probably never will win the lottery. Next time I will just answer with the generic answer "buy a Ferrari ' lol

dude no, you buy a farm/ old factory complex /abandoned fairground and turn it into the most awesome airsoft site in the world(one that breaks even at least so it dosent go under eventually...), pfft ferrari....then buy everyone on this forum an awesome gun/ give us free days play etc.... and give the mrs a personal spa or something so she lets you do it.... lol.

and ed, sorry no offence intended i just like to think things through, as i said im thinking of doing some zombie things(probably one of those plans that never happens....) so just like ideas....

also one of these could well be quite handy fo the hypothetical apocalypse...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=anti+zombie+table&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_niwUe7bHeaX1AWG64GgAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1241&bih=567#facrc=_&imgrc=JwafGzs2fIX-rM%3A%3BS8ZkTXrDJwdzTM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn0.lostateminor.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2010%252F04%252FAnti-Zombie-Night-Table.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.lostateminor.com%252F2010%252F04%252F28%252Fanti-zombie-night-table%252F%3B480%3B465

• Supporters

What makes it a "night" table? :huh:

dude no, you buy a farm/ old factory complex /abandoned fairground and turn it into the most awesome airsoft site in the world(one that breaks even at least so it dosent go under eventually...), pfft ferrari....then buy everyone on this forum an awesome gun/ give us free days play etc.... and give the mrs a personal spa or something so she lets you do it.... lol.

and ed, sorry no offence intended i just like to think things through, as i said im thinking of doing some zombie things(probably one of those plans that never happens....) so just like ideas....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=anti+zombie+table&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_niwUe7bHeaX1AWG64GgAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1241&bih=567#facrc=_&imgrc=JwafGzs2fIX-rM%3A%3BS8ZkTXrDJwdzTM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn0.lostateminor.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2010%252F04%252FAnti-Zombie-Night-Table.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.lostateminor.com%252F2010%252F04%252F28%252Fanti-zombie-night-table%252F%3B480%3B465

Will add this to my lotto list. Buying everyone a good gun is a brilliant idea. Should get a good bulk discount from just BB guns lololololol

I'm coming out of the closet everyone Can i get a Hand?

I'm secretly gay, everyone. Or at least, I was until now. What better thread to come out of the closet, eh?

Edited by Airsoft-Ed, Today, 12:45 PM.

He asked for it.

And you gave it to him, didn't you Ed? ;)

What about sharpened steel wire coat hangers? They'd slow a zombie down pretty well if they were wide enough to fill a door frame.

• Supporters

I don't think that night table would work in a doorway. Even if you have the shield part right up against the left door frame, there wouldn't be enough room to swing the club properly. Without training.

• Supporters

And you gave it to him, didn't you Ed? ;)

Shut up you, if I wanted people to know, I'd have told them by now

Quiet you.

I don't think that night table would work in a doorway. Even if you have the shield part right up against the left door frame, there wouldn't be enough room to swing the club properly. Without training.

nah not for the door, for when the zombie has you cornered in your room if whomever you share the room with dosent allow you to keep firearms in the room. course being in the country im in i have a couple of bats etc around my bed...lol. see the opening of the zombie movie where they are at the mall, well i mean the 'remake' the kid in the bedroom scene.... after that throw it away and get something better of course...

Will add this to my lotto list. Buying everyone a good gun is a brilliant idea. Should get a good bulk discount from just BB guns lololololol

yea something to shoot at!(will be put in the lands of my scarecrow target, lol....

• 10 months later...

I'd just stand in a doorway with one of my katanas.

Ain't no zombies getting through there then.

Airsoft guns vs 28 Days Later style rage-zombies? You are f*cked my friend.

Walking Dead style, been rotting for a few months, you'd probably have a fair chance against them. Though, not as fair a chance as you might get from, say... A hammer. Or really, anything else.

WE Katana? ;)

Oooooooh, let's re-kindle the cunt rage.

My plan would be;

1)Acquire supplies. Travel into one of the villages where there will be a less dense population of zombies. Look through farmer's houses for weapons.

2) Travel to a supermarket. Risky move but it might pay off. Get some tinned food and stuff myself with free chocolate.

3A) Once I am nice and full with the free food, end it all. Probably going to live out a lonely existence anyway and it means one less zombie. America will probably nuke us anyway to stop the spread of infection.

3B) Risk acquiring some advanced weaponry. Police stations here hold all sorts of weapons, I have seen H&K G36, H&K MP5 and H&K 33. There is also TA centre nearby that holds MP5's at least. Not sure if they hold L85 or anything heavier.

4) Move to a large estate a few miles out of town. There are a few major ones where I live. In the long term, food is going to be a problem. It has a river that contains game and course fish, and a large resident deer population. There are also boats and can be used to access Islands, which can be used to evacuate to incase of emergency, and to hold supplies. Assuming there are other factions, rivals or not, both the food and defensible space, as well as seclusion, would all benefit in your survival.

My master plan has been shared with great contempt. Now that other people may share in my plan in the case of a real outbreak, I might have done myself out of a survival niche.

Still, feel free to sticky.

• Supporters

enough rations on a RN frigate/destrtoyer to last 400 people 3 months (on a pretty lean diet), I expect even with 200 people on board it'd be enough to keep us ticking over for a while til things settle down and we can go out scavenging. Or, loose the lines and put to sea, plenty of fish out there.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.