FPS ...

MrNexus8
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I attended my first event on Saturday just gone (The Academy, Leamington Spa) and discovered my G36C was firing at a little over 370 FPS. The limit was 350. I was using .20 ammo. Subsequently I had to use a hire gun, which in the event was fine, although I would like to have used my own.

I have today emailed the company I bought it from (Action Hobbies, Milton Keynes) to ask if they can put a different spring in it but I was more interested in whether you think I could use 0.25 ammo to reduce the FPS without the need for a spring change.

Since there will be a weight difference, that would logically equate to reduced FPS and I wonder if you reckon this would bring the FPS to sub-350?

If you think I can get away with this, it would negate the need for a less powerful spring and I could use the gun on my next event in a few weeks.

Thanks in advance :)

Guy

with my m100 spring i use .25 bbs and i get 330 fps but dont forget the af uk app will help with this :) look at the top of the page and click on "app"

Just to clarify for you; as it hasn't been mentioned above; When a site chronos your gun, they're not looking for the velocity per se; but rather the power output of it.

A majority of sites have a limit of 350fps with a 0.2 gram BB (Which equates to about 1.13 Joules).
With a 0.25g BB it would be roughly 313fps: As you can see, for the same power output, the velocity decreases.

With yours firing at 370fps, it has a power output of roughly 1.27J; which is obviously over the limit.

The reason for the 350fps limit is purely a matter of making it easier for the site organiser; by insisting that all weapons are chrono-ed with a 0.2 BB all they have to check is that it's under 350 (Or whatever the limit for that particular site is) so they can get people through and checked as quick and easily as possible.
(Although some sites have chronos that will allow you to set it for 0.25s)

It's a common mistake to make when you're just starting out in airsoft; but be aware that using heavier ammo to reduce the velocity of your gun is seen as cheating and trying to circumvent the rules.
Like the gentlemen above; I'm afraid you'll have to look at getting a replacement spring!

OK that is all very useful, thank you. I genuinely wasn't at all aware using 0.25 would be frowned upon and I get the points above ... accordingly, I shall seek to get the spring adjusted, as advised.

Thank you all for this valuable help.

By the way, out of interest, is 0.20 the most commonly used ammo on account of its range? I have both 0.20 and the heavier 0.25 but I'd be interested in what is the most appropriate/common type. That was I can only buy one type in the future.

So charliesoft is also hot, at 370fps on .2's! (unless his site allows 370fps as an upper limit)

for example, if I decided to use .3g in my cyma AK as it came from the shop, it would register as 350fps on the site chrono, if I told them I was using .2's, but it would actually register as 420fps on actual .2's!

It is the energy that the bb has which is potentially harmful, especially in large numbers in an AEG or at close range in the case of a sniper. This is why 500fps snipers have a minimum engagement distance and AEG's have a fps limit.

So get your spring sorted :)

lucky beggars get to have higher fps than over here, we're stuck to having 1 joule grumble grumble. so yea dont get caught up on the fps its power output they are really measuring. for which is better heavier ammo is more accurate, but will have a lower fps. it also costs more than .2 which is why i use .2....

So charliesoft is also hot, at 370fps on .2's! (unless his site allows 370fps as an upper limit)

for example, if I decided to use .3g in my cyma AK as it came from the shop, it would register as 350fps on the site chrono, if I told them I was using .2's, but it would actually register as 420fps on actual .2's!

It is the energy that the bb has which is potentially harmful, especially in large numbers in an AEG or at close range in the case of a sniper. This is why 500fps snipers have a minimum engagement distance and AEG's have a fps limit.

So get your spring sorted :)

i am freinds with my site manager and i spoke to him about it and he had a go with my gun with .25 and he said it is the same as a .20 but better accuracy with a .25 so he is fine with it he just said if i bring the fps up to 350 with a .25 then i will need to lower the spring i used to say i was using a .2 :o rebel ! but i am now on .23 and they work better and give me about 340 and thats good with me and site manager compromise :)

Using that method to bypass the chrono WILL get you banned from ALL first and only sites, immediately and permanently.

Get the spring changed or chopped, it's not hard to do for those with experience.

luckily i live in the middle of airsoft nowhere and we only have 1 site with in a 1 hour drive :( finny for the win! (not first and only)

luckily i live in the middle of airsoft nowhere and we only have 1 site with in a 1 hour drive :( finny for the win! (not first and only)

From finmeres website

"All players can expect to have their guns chrono'd on a random, spot check basis at least once throughout the day. Any gun found to be over the Site limits (see the FPS rules) will not be allowed to be used. All checks on weapons will be made using a 0.2 bb."

"AEG's:

350 fps (not one fps over).

No MED - please use common sense!"

I find it hard to beleive a sight owner would allow you to be over tbh.

Charlie, as stated above you are actually at 370fps on a .2g, I don't give a damn that "hey you're only using .23g so you have 340fps", as I have said I can use .3's in a 420fps AEG to get it to read 350fps on a chrono if I'm naughty and don't tell the site manager, but if he's my mate then I'm sure he will be all right with it.

1: there are site rules for a reason, safety and enjoyment for all.

2: hot guns are hot guns, deliberately using a hot gun week on week makes you a knob.

3: Airsoft is built upon trust, trust that you are following the rules, trust the site is run in a fair and even manner, and players play as such. Deliberately circumventing those rules should result in a ban.

So from you're post you are looking like a dick for deliberately using a hot gun, or a bit of an idiot to not see what has been said in this post ref bb, fps and imparted energy. (.25's at 330 are a bit bad, but thats allright I now use .23g at 340fps, its the exactly same bloody energy that hits the opposing player!)

The site looks bad as the manager seems to offer favouritism to regular players knowingly using over the limit guns to gain an advantage.

Mr Nexus is coming across as a new player willing to play by the rules, learning as he goes and willing to accept advice from others.

Whereas I am coming across as a grumpy old barsteward, which to be honest I am.

...and breathe......time for my cocoa and slippers I think....

When we go to chrono, there is always an M4 mag with .20's in or a speedloader with .20's in to fill one of your own mags before being chrono'ed! No getting away from it then. Best way as well I think, keeps the game fair.

isnt there a setting on the chrono to change the wirght of ammo and do the count by differing weights(least there is at our site afik) in norn iron from what ive read we are supposed to be at 328 limit fps on .2 and theres a slight leway on it but is up to the site managers. if you break the conditions and you cause an accident, well cant see anyone sticking up for ya if you did it on purpose. and your site manager, consider his licence/insurance lost too... plus if you need to cheat to play then you shouldnt be playing at all...

Does no one ever learn anything at school???

KE=0.5mv²

Increasing mass to decrease velocity does fuck all to energy.

Sites measure your energy at the muzzle, it's just easier to measure velocity with a chrono with 0.2g bbs to avoid maths.

guys please calm down yes i am allowed by my site manager but i have a few restrictions;

1. my med it further away from others

2. my hop up is down and set by the techie

guys chill i am freinds with the site leader he says as i am now down to .23 he is more happy with that guys just calm down. and its not favoritism he just trust me not to get too close as he has limited my med know what you are saying before you say it bigsheep ! i am limited if my gun is hot and if the hop gets put up or i go too close i get pulled back not as far as the dmr's but just further away and dont insult the site manager you have no idea he is fair its not favoritism, just trust that i will stick to my personal med !

EDIT:

i just read that through and i know how nooby and pathetic it sounds basicaly my MED is near that of a DMR okay??

• Supporters

guys please calm down yes i am allowed by my site manager but i have a few restrictions;

1. my med it further away from others

2. my hop up is down and set by the techie

guys chill i am freinds with the site leader he says as i am now down to .23 he is more happy with that guys just calm down. and its not favoritism he just trust me not to get too close as he has limited my med know what you are saying before you say it bigsheep ! i am limited if my gun is hot and if the hop gets put up or i go too close i get pulled back not as far as the dmr's but just further away and dont insult the site manager you have no idea he is fair its not favoritism, just trust that i will stick to my personal med !

What is your MED, and are you still allowed to use full auto?

What are the MEDs and FPS limits for everyone else?

Why is having your hop set relevant at all? Sites usually make sure you have your hop set when they chrono, because having a hop completely off or fully on will cause a noticeable change in FPS on the chrono reading.

Also, that is pretty much favouritism. Why not make it a rule for all players, slightly higher FPS but also a slightly higher MED allowed? Giving you an exception to the normal rules is favouritism.

What is your MED, compared with other players? And are you still allowed to use full auto?

What are the MEDs and FPS limits for everyone else?

Why is having your hop set relevant at all? Sites usually make sure you have your hop set when they chrono, because having a hop completely off or fully on will cause a noticeable change in FPS on the chrono reading.

Also, that is pretty much favouritism. Why not make it a rule for all players, slightly higher FPS but also a slightly higher MED allowed? Giving you an exception to the normal rules is favouritism.

okay med i think for DMR's 30 meters mine is about 15 where as normal aeg's have no med which makes cqb a bit of a pain when we play at that end of the site and, the hop is down as the .23 makes my gun fire better accuracy and range so they wanted to bring my range down so i suggested adjust the hop and they felt more comfortable with that.

and any player can do it as long as they talk to the site manager and he feels comfortable that they will stick with what he says, and i know this sounds a bid dodgy yes it does on the internet it is much better in practice.

and yes i can use full auto but only 3 round burst but i think that is a rule at a lot of sites anyway

• Supporters

I think it's stupid either way and if I go to the site you play at, ever, I will raise my concern with the site manager.

Why would they want to bring your range down?

I think you're just badly trying to squirm out of a situation that you realise you should have never told anyone about. If your gun's range is stupidly better than everyone else's, your fps would have to be significantly higher and if they want to lower your range, that can only be to cover their tracks because the more experienced players might figure out you're firing hot.

As if it isn't obvious enough anyway by the pain when you hit them.

You're on a slippery slope. I'm almost tempted to close the topic for the sake of Finmere's reputation.

It's things like this that cause older players to have a negative opinion of younger ones.

I think ill call bullshit on that excuse charlie, Il fire the owner of finmere an email and find out if this is allowed at his sight.

• Supporters

I think the point has been made for MrNexus8.

As Tariq said, regardless of weight and velocity, the energy output will always remain the same and that's the reason we have fps limits set with .20s.

It's not the fps we measure for, it's the impact energy of the shot. So using heavier ammo to appear under the limit is a heath risk. You are using a more powerful gun and hiding the fact from the site staff.

Simples.

I see no need to keep the thread open any longer. So to save Charlie any more grief, it's now closed.

Archived