Hello, Help a noob.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

:D Hey.

Recently got into airsoft and decided to purchase my own weapon, so I chose the very sexy AK- 47. Now I have a question about batteries ( p.s I am technologically terrible so please bare with me )

I have two to choose from, one is 1100 mAh 9.6v and the other is 3700 mAh 7.6v. I have gathered the importance of the mAh - basically how long it will last on you before it goes for a snooze? Approximately how long would 3700 mAh last for? from an AK - 47 which would be used on semi automatic for the majority of the day. Also, is a 7.6v too low and will this affect the gun badly? And is my best option the 3700 mAh 7.6v? ( I will have it fully charged)

That's all I'd like to know, thank you very much. :)

Also, it may possibly be worth mentioning that this is the gun - http://www.airsoftworld.net/aeg-ak47-special-new-year-offer.html

Thank you :D

• Supporters

You also need to consider voltage, as this will affect you motor speed, and thus your rate of fire. The rule of thumb is "The higher the voltage the higher the rate of fire"

7.6v is rather low, the norm for airsoft nimh/nicad's etc, is either 8.4v or 9.6v.

As for how long it will last is subjective, as there are other things to consider such as spraying auto temperature etc that said a 3700 I would expect to last a weekend of heavy use but like I said its subjective to other factors.

Lipo's/life's another battery type are another story though.

• Supporters

Ah ok thank you! I don't suppose rate of fire should matter too much however if I just use semi automatic? :blink:

unfortunately it dose, as your gun still has to cycle ... so there may be a more noticeable delay in pulling trigger and a bb firing out the barrel :mellow:

going from airsoft worlds website, its compatible with a hell of a lot of batteries though ... how about a 9.6v 1600mah >> http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/9_6v_airsoft.html only £14 or one of the others they have on stock ;) I would be tempted to wait till you get the gun, measure the battery compartment, then buy one ;)

unfortunately it dose, as your gun still has to cycle ... so there may be a more noticeable delay in pulling trigger and a bb firing out the barrel :mellow:

going from airsoft worlds website, its compatible with a hell of a lot of batteries though ... how about a 9.6v 1600mah >> http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/9_6v_airsoft.html only £14 or one of the others they have on stock ;) I would be tempted to wait till you get the gun, measure the battery compartment, then buy one ;)

I see. I already have the gun by the way, just yet to use it. Well once test firing I'll see how it goes, thanks for your help.

• Supporters

I see. I already have the gun by the way, just yet to use it. Well once test firing I'll see how it goes, thanks for your help.

no probs mate B)

• Supporters

1100mAh batteries are only useful as emergency backups. Unless you hardly ever fire, they won't last a whole day and if you fire a lot they won't last a morning. I once ran one flat in 35mins of heavy skirmishing with a CYMA AK47.

+1 to measuring the battery compartment before you buy. Absolutely imperative.

I'd expect a 3700mAh battery to last a weekend too. I've never come across a 7.6V battery before. Would you link to it please? Off the top of my head I'll guess at 7.4V which would be a 2 cell LiPo battery. A very good choice, but one which requires a balancing charger. Component Shop is your best bet for that too.

If I were you I'd want to see the inside of the gearbox before I'd make regular use of a 9.6V battery with that gun, because my bet is that the gears are probably fine but that the piston is POM plastic with just 1 steel tooth. The rest of the teeth will be plastic and will be vulnerable to being stripped a lot sooner at higher Rates Of Fire, even if used on semi-auto (because as has been pointed out, the gearbox will still cycle faster).

It depends on your plans for airsofting, but you've chosen a cheap gun so I'm going to advise you assuming you want a cheap solution: look at this page you'll see an 8.4V 2200mAh battery for £14.20 - notice you can choose the connector; you want Tamiya rather than Mini-Tamiya or Deans. This link may open the info page of the one I mean. This battery will give you a ROF of about 600rnds/min, which is fine, and last you a full day of moderate to heavy skirmishing.

You'll also need a charger. The simplest type would be fine, but they come fitted with Mini-Tamiya connectors so you would have to buy an adaptor to make it fit the larger type which your gun uses, so you're better off just getting something like...

150_mw3110.jpg 600mA Smart charger for 7.2 / 8.4 / 9.6V Airsoft Batteries. ~ £9.50

- on this page.

Or you could look on fleabay, because people are always selling chargers which come with Chinese guns. You shouldn't pay more than a fiver + P&P for one, but bear in mind that you'll need a Small Female to Large Male Tamiya Adapter, so you might want to be patient and get one for a quid or so + P&P.

Then again, if you fancy taking an educated punt on the reliability of little known or unbranded Chinese battery packs etc. you could get this. Which is everything you need for US$17.71. Bear in mind that even if the battery pack rating is a bit ambitious, 2800mAh is plenty more than you need for a day's skirmishing, so it's likely to be fine. They offer a 30 day warranty from the time of dispatch, which means we can be reasonably certain that both the battery and charger will arrive working, because they'd have to pay the return shipping which would cost more than they get for the item... as I say, "an educated punt".

Remember though that the smart charger I mentioned automatically detects when the battery has reached it's preset Voltage and stops over-charging.

• Supporters

1100mAh batteries are only useful as emergency backups. Unless you hardly ever fire, they won't last a whole day and if you fire a lot they won't last a morning. I once ran one flat in 35mins of heavy skirmishing with a CYMA AK47.

1100? Only a back up?

Pah! I made a 1000Mah 9.9v LiFe last me an entire day at Skirmish last weekend.

Though, there are few with my skills. B)

:P

• Supporters

1100? Only a back up?

Pah! I made a 1000Mah 9.9v LiFe last me an entire day at Skirmish last weekend.

Though, there are few with my skills. B)

:P

There are few that have spent over a grand on their gun to get the range and accuracy that bought you :P;)

yeah, I got by for most of the GZ weekender last year on a 1400mAh battery, only had to change late on the second day.

I did get through the whole weekend on 1 1600mAh, but let's be fair, GZ isn't like the average skirmishing where you spend a lot of time in contact with your opposition, eh? It's so huge that it takes a fair while to walk around, and when you need to patrol keeping alert it takes even longer. Plus when you get hit it's another yomp to a dead zone and wait out, then patrol again...

Not that I'm complaining, I loved it, but it is different. Thinking about it, Ed, it would be right up your alley.

• Supporters

There are few that have spent over a grand on their gun to get the range and accuracy that bought you :P;)

I did get through the whole weekend on 1 1600mAh, but let's be fair, GZ isn't like the average skirmishing where you spend a lot of time in contact with your opposition, eh? It's so huge that it takes a fair while to walk around, and when you need to patrol keeping alert it takes even longer. Plus when you get hit it's another yomp to a dead zone and wait out, then patrol again...

Not that I'm complaining, I loved it, but it is different. Thinking about it, Ed, it would be right up your alley.

There was significant time out of enemy contact?

But there were like, 1700 people on site! I thought it'd be a gigantic cluster fuck from start to end, that's why I was always put off going.

• Supporters

Mate, it's HUGE!

• Supporters

Dang.

Well, Ai500 is my priority now, as it's more likely I'll get the Uni lot down there. But if I can afford it and find a way there, NAE is certainly on the cards.

• Supporters

NAE was awesome! Also yeah, there's SIGNIFICANT amounts of time out of contact and a lot of opportunity for sneakyness. Only time in the whole weekend (during daylight at least) where I was rattling through ammo was when me and a couple of lads were defending the prison camp waiting for a supply drop. Must've gone through 500 BBs in about 20 minutes. The night game also I rinsed 2 full hicaps, but the scenarios for those were designed to be quick and brutal with definite victory conditions.

• Supporters

Well, carrying a full bergen to Ringwood and back on public transport from up here isn't what I'd describe as easy, but it's do-able without severe discomfort. If I can't get a lift, I'll be doing that again. They don't mention MTP on either the tan or green teams in the blurb for Ai500, but I'd guess tan. Are you booked? How are you getting down there?

+1 to measuring the battery compartment before you buy. Absolutely imperative.

I'd expect a 3700mAh battery to last a weekend too. I've never come across a 7.6V battery before. Would you link to it please? Off the top of my head I'll guess at 7.4V which would be a 2 cell LiPo battery. A very good choice, but one which requires a balancing charger. Component Shop is your best bet for that too.

If I were you I'd want to see the inside of the gearbox before I'd make regular use of a 9.6V battery with that gun, because my bet is that the gears are probably fine but that the piston is POM plastic with just 1 steel tooth. The rest of the teeth will be plastic and will be vulnerable to being stripped a lot sooner at higher Rates Of Fire, even if used on semi-auto (because as has been pointed out, the gearbox will still cycle faster).

It depends on your plans for airsofting, but you've chosen a cheap gun so I'm going to advise you assuming you want a cheap solution: look at this page you'll see an 8.4V 2200mAh battery for £14.20 - notice you can choose the connector; you want Tamiya rather than Mini-Tamiya or Deans. This link may open the info page of the one I mean. This battery will give you a ROF of about 600rnds/min, which is fine, and last you a full day of moderate to heavy skirmishing.

You'll also need a charger. The simplest type would be fine, but they come fitted with Mini-Tamiya connectors so you would have to buy an adaptor to make it fit the larger type which your gun uses, so you're better off just getting something like...

150_mw3110.jpg 600mA Smart charger for 7.2 / 8.4 / 9.6V Airsoft Batteries. ~ £9.50

- on this page.

Or you could look on fleabay, because people are always selling chargers which come with Chinese guns. You shouldn't pay more than a fiver + P&P for one, but bear in mind that you'll need a Small Female to Large Male Tamiya Adapter, so you might want to be patient and get one for a quid or so + P&P.

Then again, if you fancy taking an educated punt on the reliability of little known or unbranded Chinese battery packs etc. you could get this. Which is everything you need for US$17.71. Bear in mind that even if the battery pack rating is a bit ambitious, 2800mAh is plenty more than you need for a day's skirmishing, so it's likely to be fine. They offer a 30 day warranty from the time of dispatch, which means we can be reasonably certain that both the battery and charger will arrive working, because they'd have to pay the return shipping which would cost more than they get for the item... as I say, "an educated punt".

Remember though that the smart charger I mentioned automatically detects when the battery has reached it's preset Voltage and stops over-charging.

Thanks for the information! I already have a charger and battery and tried out the gun a few hours ago for a lil test. My bad - it was 7.2v*, not 7.6. 7.2v proved to be good enough. Here's the battery http://www.airsoftworld.net/large-battery-packs.html and how dare you, my gun is not cheap! ... it was on sale. :D

• Supporters

Cheap doesn't necessarily mean crap. My CYMA AK was £125 full price last year and it was one of the best guns for range and accuracy that I've seen so far.

I'd completely forgotten that 7.2V 6 cell NiMh batteries existed for airsoft. I hope it works out for you but I fear that you'll want another battery before long to have enough power for a full day.

Dang.

Well, Ai500 is my priority now, as it's more likely I'll get the Uni lot down there. But if I can afford it and find a way there, NAE is certainly on the cards.

the only reason im going ai500 is because i cant get down to nae if i could i would and the site is that big you dont see people for a fair while,me and a friend went the back way round (which is 1.5mile) and seen 2 other players which were dead,because how its laid out alot of the site doesn't get used,i bet theirs 100 acres which are like ghost towns.i love the place great atmosphere and very social aswell.

I don't tend to be too trigger happy so hopefully it will do.

welcome to the forums

Archived