Which upgrades should you do to a SR-25 to make it a proper DMR?

Hav0c
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey there guys, I'll be getting a SR-25 in the near future and I want to make it into a proper DMR style AEG and was wondering what upgrades will I have to do (I'm not a gun tech, at all). I already know I'll have to get a new barrel and hop-up unit, but what else should I get?

Was thinking something like this (please correct me or add if I am wrong):

• M120 Spring
  • New air nozzle
  • New piston and head

It's the A&K SR-25 so you know for parts reference. If anyone could tell me what else (or less?) I'll need and what brand to get (which are compatible with gun/other brand) it would be a massive help!

Thanks, Hav0c

P.S. Wasn't sure whether or not to put this in General Disc. or G,G&L, apologies if wrong forum.

• Supporters

I'd have probably put it into the advice and general help section under the AEG category, I'll move it for you and leave a link.

Kind of a sneaky way for people to still see it lol.

It depends how far you want to go with it really, you could easily sink about £1000 into it if you want to go the whole 9 yards. Gears, cylinders, cylinder heads, nozzles, pistons, piston heads, mosfets, batteries, wiring, connectors, motor, bushings, shims, spring, spring guide.

It uses a Version 2 gearbox, so there are plenty of parts available, it'd be best to check with someone who owns one first, but more or less everything intended for a V2 gearbox ought to fit fine, maybe with the exception of the cylinder and piston, depending on whether it has an extended gearbox or not, since the SR25 7.62mm stylised receiver is longer than the standard 5.56mm M16 style one.

I'm planning to sell my LSW and put the money towards an SR25, probably the G&G one. I'm going to swap out the barrel and hop first.

Swap the gears to high speed ones, that's with a ratio of lower than 1:18, get a very powerful high torque motor, an M130 or maybe even an M140 or M150 spring since my regular site have a 500fps DMR limit, shim the gearbox to perfection, lock it to semi and then run it until it breaks.

Once it caves and I have an idea of the tolerances I'll swap the parts that failed out for something better, or just build on it gradually as parts show signs of wear. I imagine to up performance further it be wise to get a bore up cylinder set, new cylinder head and air nozzle, new piston and piston head and a metal spring guide; ought to help with the consistency a bit.

Once you're past that stage, I'd maybe add a fancy mosfet to help with the trigger response. I'd be hoping that with good trigger control and correct gearing I could have the gun working well enough for it to not jam up anyway, but a mosfet ought to remove that worry altogether anyway.

Also, I'd probably just pay someone to install the parts I said, 'cos I'd rather kill myself than try and put a V2 gearbox back together with anything stronger than an M120 into it lol.

• Supporters

well with some 330 fps it wont be bad with .25's

i would go out have a skirmish or 2 then look at where you think you need to make improvements ;)

if the barrel/hop is anything like my CM16, its gunna have plenty of range...

• Supporters

Yea they don't use Standard V2's but someone somewhere said the G&G doe's?

I Plan on having a Custom Hop Machined to sell to SR25 user's so they can just use a standard V2 Gearbox as the Casing's are hard to find apparently other than that as Ed has Said

G&G uses a standard V2 with elongated hop

G&P, A&K, CA and JG/Echo1 use the oposite with an elongated V2 but reg. hop so barrel's are compatible.

Thanks for that essay Ed, really appreciate it and I shall be using it for reference in the future lol -_-

Thanks Sp00n, I have a G&G currently and all guns circa 2011 have 6.04 barrels in them and a stronger hop so I agree with your statement there!

And TPI, are you going to be getting a few to sell to a fair bit of people? Or are you just getting one for yours?

I Plan on having a Custom Hop Machined to sell to SR25 user's so they can just use a standard V2 Gearbox as the Casing's are hard to find apparently

"I'd rather kill myself than try and put a V2 gearbox back together with anything stronger than an M120 into it"

Cant stop laughing at this, because its true.

Archived