Help with power on the AEG AK47 Airsoft Rifle - (Asia Electric Guns)

Infraone
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, I just has this Airsoft Gun delivery to me today, however the power connector from the power supply is clearly American or Japanese, I went and brought an adapter, two in fact, one Europe>UK and Another one Europe>Japan.

The amps and voltage are correct according to the power unit, however the red light for charging does not seem to come on, am I doing something dumb, or do I need now a special adapter, and if so, from who?

• Supporters

If you're using the battery and charger that came with the gun, bin it :P

Get onto component-shop and buy yourself a decent battery and charger

Yeah but it should least charge right, like I said it's the standard charger, which a red light on it (..which isn't lit plugged in)... my question is it charging?

• Supporters

Generally speaking I would expect the red LED to come on when you plug it in. After that it may be supposed to stay lit during charging and go out once the battery reaches a predetermined voltage, or start blinking and/or change to green. It may be supposed to go out while charging and come back on once the battery reaches a certain voltage, or blink/turn green.

Still, it may be supposed to stay off until the battery reaches a set voltage. How long have you left it plugged in? Was the battery flat when you plugged it in? Did it charge at all? If you haven't tried plugging a flat battery in and leaving it for a few hours, do so and see what happens. It is totally possible that the LED is defective, or not properly connected to its circuit, but the charger works just as intended.

It's not impossible that the LED is just supposed to stay on, or off unless a problem such as short circuit happens.

Notice I didn't say "once the battery is charged" above. This is because, if they have a cut off at all, these cheap chargers have a very simple system for detecting when to switch to micro-charging trickle. The battery is not necessarily charged to capacity by them.

If I were you, I would test to see if the charger charges a flat battery. If it doesn't, complain to the supplier. As Nutster and Padraig have said, those chargers are rubbish, but they're better than nothing and they will charge good batteries ok (I used a crappy CYMA charger to charge VP batteries for 9 months and it was ok), they just take ages to do so (this Forum's App has a widget to work out how long you need to leave any particular battery and charger combination). The 1100mAh batteries which come with Chinese guns are really crap and will run out quite quickly. I have literally run one from full charge to flat in 35 minutes of heavy skirmishing. Nevertheless, they can be used as a backup if you have nothing better.

So yeah, the battery and charger that came with the gun are not great, but not entirely useless and, since you have paid for them, you should at least have the opportunity to put them in a cupboard as insurance against the horrible chance that you lose / have stolen / break the better ones which you probably should get as soon as you can. You could post a pic of them and the adaptors you bought here so we can check that they ought to work together...

The crappy one I have has 2 pins and I plug it into a Shaver Adaptor - works fine. Still, it doesn't have any LED's to confuse the issue.

Archived