has anyone done this before

adam bussey
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

right my idea is to play airsoft as my role playing character and be in role while playing?

I think there have been similar things before.

I saw a Fallout 3 style game being organised somewhere, with radiated areas and stimpaks etc.

• Supporters

I leave my normal persona in the safe zone with the other stuff i don't need/want on the field. When I'm skirmishing I'm impatient, trigger-happy, often reckless, a lot less considerate, somewhat single-minded, driven even. Whereas ordinarily I have the patience of a stalagmite, I'm cautious, thoughtful, socially aware, receptive, extremely tolerant and almost completely uninterested in our society's prevalent goal oriented "success".

The thing is that being who I am does make me a bit weird, because although many of the character traits I've worked at achieving are considered virtues, in reality it seems that people would rather they remain impossible ideals. I know that many people who know me get bloody frustrated at how long it takes for plans which I launch to come to fruition and that they more often than not become so altered by exigent circumstances and expanding data pools that the original plan is unrecognisable. I also know that people get seriously pissed off by my unwillingness to commit to definite agreement without more info... but you know what? I get bloody frustrated with people who know damn well that what they are doing is either not even close to optimal or even actively against their/our own self-interest, but they do it anyway, often purely out of lack of patience but worse even more often out of inculcated conservatism, and unconscious mammalian group dynamics wind me up so much it's difficult to explain...

I need a safety valve. LCpl Ian Gere is it. To quote the oft neglected Arlo Guthrie, he wants to kill. Burn dead babies and veins in my teeth. Kill!

im working on going to that fallout game if i can get around to actually getting tickets...(also cant decide which gang/side to choose) airsoft is essentially role play, b it of video game/historical/military/ movies etc. am also working on an umberella corp load out too( think i just need to get a gun and vest now...) and will possibly try for other loadouts in the future, money deciding... it also helps with the banter afterwards, that dude that looks like predator totally owned you man!, whoot i killed master cheif, anyone know where dredd went to? also act as good conversation starters, had several people start into discussions of the resident evil game and movies after noticing my patches. course being the only tompson player at my site also helps to do the same thing...

I leave my normal persona in the safe zone with the other stuff i don't need/want on the field. When I'm skirmishing I'm impatient, trigger-happy, often reckless, a lot less considerate, somewhat single-minded, driven even. Whereas ordinarily I have the patience of a stalagmite, I'm cautious, thoughtful, socially aware, receptive, extremely tolerant and almost completely uninterested in our society's prevalent goal oriented "success".

-

I need a safety valve. LCpl Ian Gere is it. To quote the oft neglected Arlo Guthrie, he wants to kill. Burn dead babies and veins in my teeth. Kill!

Totally agree, I find that I become a totally different person on the field

Look up shadow-wars, they call it Larpsofting.

its Larp or Live action Role play.. Shadow wars is a near future Live role play with Airsofting elements for combat http://shadow-wars.webs.com last event had 40-50 players and crew and was held at gunman midlands honiley site.

Ah bugger, I was going to mention larping but everyone else beat me to it! :lol:

Nahh, it's not weird playing a character whilst airsofting!

I think my photography lecturer did something simular to what you're talking about actually!

Just be sure to tell people though.

It might catch them off guard if you suddenly adopt a different accent.

Dressing up is one thing, but putting accents/voices on is what I used to do when I played "the A-team" as a kid.

If a grown man started speaking to me in a stupid voice, I couldn't take him seriously and I would question his mental health.

works for batman?... having people weirded out by you is fun though, never tried it?

Have a look at Protocol 7. It is a "larpsoft" style event run by a few friends of mine. It got a write up in airsoft Action a few months back. Its very limited ammo event so its more about the character interaction than shooting each other..... The Airsoft element is mostly a "vessel" to facilitate post apocalyptic violence...... Has quite a following and is on to its fourth or fifth event i believe.

Archived