Side arm or second rifle

Mike1971
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

OK first of all Sp00n you have alot to answer for.

Right I'm just waiting for a Black/two tone G&G raider -L to be back in stock and I have my main weapon.

As a rank starter and not even been to a game(due to my crappy shift system).

Should I buy/invest in a side arm.

My reasoning is that as when in the TA I had my trusty fall to bits L85A1 and a browning 9mm side arm.

Should I invest, do I go MP7(or similar) or go the side arm route P229, Glock 17, M92F etc.

ORRR cash allowing go main, secondary and side arm???????

OH and sp00n this is totally your fault, HAPPY Birthday Buddy !!!!!!!!!!!!!

main is most imortant, youll use it at least 90% of the time, if not more. so for you is it going to really be worth spending around £100, which was as much as my main, on your sidearm? for me looking back it asnt the best investment, and to be honest if i was doing it again i could have bought 2 shotguns and a bunch of shells for the same price as my sidearm. and depending on your play style will change what will be the more important back up for you, if you even need one. id advise getting your main and rig protection broken in before deciding secondary issues incase you change your mind. in the meantime however keep browsing for deals, get to know how much the sort of guns you like cost then if you decide what is really going to be worth while...( untill your inner nerd takes over and makes you buy a pistol purely as its from a movie you like...:()

I like The G&G raider as I have tried Sp00ns.

I'm steering away from the L85 & L86 as I use and teach the use of the real things and the price of the Airsoft variants puts me off.

The G&G raider looks a good starter weapons system and reviews are more positive than negative.

As for side arms I do like the M9( Barretta 92F) I have a springer one and looking on zero one air soft I'm liking the P226 or the M9.

I'd run a few games with just the primary first to get a feel for how you will end up playing. I do have a sidearm, but I cant remember the last time I used it in anger when I wasnt playing as a sniper.

I really should make myself us the side arm more, but I tend to find I just prefer my primary.

That said there is nothing like that sneaky little kill with a sidearm, its a great feeling.

• Supporters

Before you buy a 2nd gun remember you'll need either 1 fat or 2 skinny decent batteries + charger, mags (and if you go with midcaps you'll want probably 6, more like 12 for locaps), a sling, maybe an optic. G&G have a good rep so it's not likely to break down, unless you dick around with it, so you won't actually need a backup. After playing you might want an RIS & foregrip and then a taclight for night games / dark indoors.

You know how you're looking at loads of guns now, maybe checking them out on different websites, seeing other ones, thinking, "I could use this in a combination with that, maybe this as well.", well that's only going to get worse and you'll soon start doing it about weapon accessories then upgrade parts too and then gear... As a mental exercise to prepare you for the reality of airsoft once you start skirmishing, take out your wallet and contemplate it for a moment; now open it and contemplate the cash within; think of the things you could spend it on, the small things you buy for no real reason other than because you like a little luxury now and then; now lean down and reverently kiss that all goodbye. You don't want to waste money. You're going to get enough grief off everyone you know about how much you spend anyway: you want to at least get stuff which will actually prove useful.

Before you skirmish, think about eye protection now and try a few options if you can; see what suits your face/vision; decide if you can use lenses without fogging or whether mesh is better for you. After your 1st time, decide if your boots are comfortable for the whole day; if not either sort the insoles out or think about getting new ones. Get your UKARA. Buy a primary weapon. Get it set up for a whole day's skirmishing. Think about your rig - belt kit / chest rig / both? Vest or plate carrier, maybe NI style chest rig? Get your loadout sorted. Then and only then think about another gun... then decide whether it'd be better to upgrade the one you have first.

• Supporters

Before you buy a 2nd gun remember you'll need either 1 fat or 2 skinny decent batteries + charger, mags (and if you go with midcaps you'll want probably 6, more like 12 for locaps), a sling, maybe an optic. G&G have a good rep so it's not likely to break down, unless you dick around with it, so you won't actually need a backup. After playing you might want an RIS & foregrip and then a taclight for night games / dark indoors.

You know how you're looking at loads of guns now, maybe checking them out on different websites, seeing other ones, thinking, "I could use this in a combination with that, maybe this as well.", well that's only going to get worse and you'll soon start doing it about weapon accessories then upgrade parts too and then gear... As a mental exercise to prepare you for the reality of airsoft once you start skirmishing, take out your wallet and contemplate it for a moment; now open it and contemplate the cash within; think of the things you could spend it on, the small things you buy for no real reason other than because you like a little luxury now and then; now lean down and reverently kiss that all goodbye. You don't want to waste money. You're going to get enough grief off everyone you know about how much you spend anyway: you want to at least get stuff which will actually prove useful.

Before you skirmish, think about eye protection now and try a few options if you can; see what suits your face/vision; decide if you can use lenses without fogging or whether mesh is better for you. After your 1st time, decide if your boots are comfortable for the whole day; if not either sort the insoles out or think about getting new ones. Get your UKARA. Buy a primary weapon. Get it set up for a whole day's skirmishing. Think about your rig - belt kit / chest rig / both? Vest or plate carrier, maybe NI style chest rig? Get your loadout sorted. Then and only then think about another gun... then decide whether it'd be better to upgrade the one you have first.

ian, mike is an adult instructor in the ACF, he pretty much already has all the kit (clothes/boots etc etc), minus airsoft specific stuff of course. he may need a face mask though .... he aint pretty :P:D

• Supporters

Yeah Sp00n, I read some of his posts already. You probably know that British Army gear, particularly PLCE, is great for it's intended purpose - ie lasting in useful condition through anything you might put it through, but it's not light, eh? And I was thinking about what Mike said about choosing a different gun to what he's used to; maybe he'll want different gear too. Also, boots that are comfy enough for everyday may not be so good once you start running around and jumping in holes etc. in them - mine weren't until I sculpted new insoles.

You know yourself about eyepro. That's all he needs to get sorted now, or it'll be a fogged up rental mask that puts you in as much danger from broken bones or getting impaled as it saves you from due to BB's! If he's ugly enough to scare kiddies, best stick to goggles only for the tactical advantage :P

The only things you need for airsoft:

Gun + Mag + battery + charger

Face protection

Boots

Casual clothes

Things useful for airsoft:

Gun + Extra mags + extra battery + charger

Boots

Face protection

Some form of camouflaged clothing

Gloves
Assault/load bearing vest for spare mags and BBs

2-way radio

Things people want for airsoft:

Gun + Extra mags + LiPo batteries + LiPo charger + Optics + foregrip + silencer + torch + laser + grenade launcher

Boots
Face protection
Full uniform including helmet etc
Gloves
Load bearing vest or plate carrier with molle pouches
Hydration bladder

Sidearm + spare mags

Radio equipment including headset and push-to-talk unit

I've been playing for over a year with nothing but some DPM surplus clothing, a pair of surplus assault boots, face protection and a gun with an extra mag and BBs stuffed in my trouser pockets. The first thing I wanted to do was spend all of my money on Airsoft but you get sucked into a very deep hole very quickly with spending money on gear and it's hard to get out once you've started!

Great advice!

Guys your advice is invaluble.

Boots I have 4 pairs to choose from all good for wearing all day, Lowa issue desert, Standard Hi legs, Gortex lined hi legs and Hi-tec magnums, I put nike trainer insoles in them so running is good in any pair of them.

Eyeware,I have got both a set of revision sawfly glasses or revision ant goggles, both used many times for shooting, in the field and on live fire ranges.

My rigs One is all osprey Mk iv MTP pouches on a disciple belt with a black hawk drop leg panel and holster, one is the old DPM PLCE belt rig, also got an ops waist coat in dpm all good and no problem running in them.

I have my issue blackhawk knee and elbow pads very good bits of kit, along with MTP PCS uniform ubacs and other gucci kit.

I was thinking of a vest but going by what my osprey MKiv is like i would want somthing lighter (recommendations please)as mine is heavey on its own and after a 3 mile run in it you are well hanging out.

So now I just need to sort out when i can get to our local site in Grimsby with sp00n, when our shifts allow.

• Supporters

There's some Bulle gear on flecktarn.com that looks good quality and light and it's pretty cheap too. You could use your Osprey pouches on that too, if you don't mind re-threading your molle when you need 'em for work.

How are your eyepro when you're hot and sweaty?

With so much gear already you are in particular danger of spending money on absolute shite. Serious mate, be patient. Get some experience of what skirmishing is like before you spend money you'll realise later would have been better spent on mags...

They are good Ian, the anti-fog cloth you get with them is good.

Kit wise I'm all good and I will only use kit that has been proved in the field.

This is what I'm looking at getting first:-

1. G&G Raider-L in Black

2. the battery Sp00n recommended(can't remember which one at the moment).

3. 2 off Hi cap mags

4. mesh half mask

If I can get all that for £200 I will be a happy camper

• Supporters

I disagree. You'll want 2 STANAG hicaps - they only hold about 320rnds each. You can easily get through 600 in 20mins.

Mesh 1/2face masks are good, but be prepared to modify to make it comfortable. I've added foam pads inside mine that stop it rubbing my nose and cheekbones. The type with 2 straps joined vertically at the back are best because they don't bounce up and down as much when you run, or you can do what I did before the 2 strap type became easily available - add your own.

Sp00n WTF was that battery you recommended for the raider-L?

Can you tell we are busy at work ;-)

• Supporters

I've found VP batteries to be the best, but I have a 2200/2300mah G&P 8.4V stick made from 7 long cells, so it's essentially the same as that one you linked and it lasts all day in my AKS-74U (and I can be pretty trigger happy with it in woodlands because I get better range on full auto than semi).

Although something to consider is that, if you get into airsoft, sooner or later you'll probably want to switch to LiPo batteries and, if you don't, a NiMh battery and bog standard charger adds nothing to the resale value of a CM16, whereas a LiPo and balancing charger are an extra worth considering, even though they might not cost much more.

• Supporters

I've got a CA 330Rd High Cap and a JG 330Rd Knocking about I'll Chuck in 3 Black MagPul's because not having them on Mag's is Driving me Banana's! The CA Has Definetly been through more than it's fair share of Cr*p though! £10 Posted?

Sound's Like Just a Sub-Load with a Mag Pouch, Vertical GP Pouch for your Spare Battery and a Bag of BB's + a Banger Pouch would suit you Dandy

The 8.4v 2200mah one on zero one lasted me all day on Saturday >>> http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=274_418_422&products_id=6074

You might be best buying your battery from Component Shop: http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/airsoft_etc_.html

They have very good service and their products are considerably cheaper than anywhere else. Like Ian I'd also recommend a LiPo though, as I just got my first one and I'm extremely pleased with it.

For a LiPo and charger I'd recommend these: http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/vp25c2s1300as.html & http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/le-3.html

• Supporters

You might be best buying your battery from Component Shop: http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/airsoft_etc_.html

They have very good service and their products are considerably cheaper than anywhere else. Like Ian I'd also recommend a LiPo though, as I just got my first one and I'm extremely pleased with it.

For a LiPo and charger I'd recommend these: http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/vp25c2s1300as.html & http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/le-3.html

I recommended that as its what I got, nice and easy to use, and not having to worry about balance chargers etc perfect for someone buying there first AEG.

I have bought a battery from component shop, but I got the size wrong and it doesn't fit my stock (hence why I am after another).

Sp00n when you get back to work we need to talk batteries, chargers etc

I need to clear it with the boss but sunday 25 may is looking good.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just having this discussion with my friends put all your resources into getting the best rifle you can afford and forget the second rifle pistols are never as useful as a proper rifle and your better of having one very good then two average guns you can only use it one at time after all

Archived