Idea for an Airsoft Crossbow?

Hav0c
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, I was watching The Walking Dead, and I'd heard that they used some Airsoft guns in the making of it. As I was watching it and watching the bad ass that is Daryl Dixon I started to think if it would be possible to create a Crossbow in Airsoft? What I came up with after laying in bed brainstorming was something along the lines of the X-Bow from BF3 ().

I was thinking it could be gas operated, with a short (possibly L96/Short M4) magazine. Also, the inner barrel should be of Carbine length which could be housed inside a fake bolt outer barrel. Evidently the Crossbow would be like a Carbine length Sniper Rifle, firing one BB at a time with quite a high FPS (About 380-420?). I was also thinking that when loading another BB into the chamber it should be loaded by pulling an M4 style charging handle which would act like the actual bow being racked back. Hop should be VSR/AEG type possibly?

Thoughts on this idea, is it just me being a crazy fool or could this actually be feasible? Cheers lads.

I like the idea, personally I'd use a DMR style as the main body (SR25, something like that) Not to sure about having to load 1 bb at a time, I can only really see the actually bow end as a prop.

But thats just me.

I like the idea, personally I'd use a DMR style as the main body (SR25, something like that) Not to sure about having to load 1 bb at a time, I can only really see the actually bow end as a prop.

But thats just me.

I think if an SR-25 body was used it would end up too expensive, and heavy. The actual internals would probably be best as a gas M16 with TBB and Sniper Rifle hop unit with a high FPS to give it a fair stand in the field

• Supporters

Why not just utilise an actual crossbow?

Get two PVC pipes/tubes, lay them on top of each other, get a crossbow bolt and stick a piston head onto it, link the two pipes together and cut a openable/closable breach into the back of the upper tube so you can put BBs into it, then job's a good 'un.

Put a BB in the top tube, maybe fit an inner barrel and hop unit into it, draw the string, then when you fire the bolt, it will fly into the lower tube, with the piston head pushing air under pressure into the top tube to propel the BB.

It's been done before with bows in paintball, not sure how successful it is and it probably wouldn't be good enough to be worth bothering, but it'd certainly be more of a crossbow than a DMR that you're just calling a crossbow when it bears next to no resemblance to one...

Why not just utilise an actual crossbow?

Get two PVC pipes/tubes, lay them on top of each other, get a crossbow bolt and stick a piston head onto it, link the two pipes together and cut a openable/closable breach into the back of the upper tube so you can put BBs into it, then job's a good 'un.

Put a BB in the top tube, maybe fit an inner barrel and hop unit into it, draw the string, then when you fire the bolt, it will fly into the lower tube, with the piston head pushing air under pressure into the top tube to propel the BB.

It's been done before with bows in paintball, not sure how successful it is and it probably wouldn't be good enough to be worth bothering, but it'd certainly be more of a crossbow than a DMR that you're just calling a crossbow when it bears next to no resemblance to one...

Fair enough...

• Supporters

After looking at that X-Bow, I can't help but think that the project is going to be a lot of work however you do it, so why not go the whole hog? Install a 500FPS piston sniper powered by the bow onto a 350FPS semi/full auto AEG.

Could always use a crossbow with an extremely low power, for example one of those toy ones if you tampered with it to give it some range.

Then just make use a nerf football to make a few bolts?

OR

• Supporters

OR

Yeah, or you could tie an elastic band to your dick and use some kind of Ronald McDonald-esque bendy straw to feed BB's to it. It wouldn't be quite as embarrassing...

Archived