Hello All!

calcal
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi folks!,

Literally so new to all this its kind of overwhelming...what i need,Dont need..what to do and where to go?

Im ordering my first lot of stuff tomorrow,

After reading up and doing my research i obviously came across UKARA and the fact i need to use two tone guns for the first 3 times i go?

A couple of things :- Does everywhere allow you to use two tone?
Are you kind of looked down on for using them compared to guns everyone else uses?

Just wanted a quick insight in to how i will be judged when i show up with a lovely orange gun :)

Thanks in advance for any replies,They would be much appreciated.

• Supporters

Hi, welcome to the forums :)

Glad to see people read around before just buying stuff willy nilly.

Most sites will allow two tones, I have yet to visit one that doesn't. Though I would suggest you try playing first and hire a gun before you dump any money into it. The hire guns most sites use cost in the region of £130-150, so if you're spending less than that you'd be better off hiring for your first 3 games anyway, any guns cheaper than that won't be competitive. Certainly don't get anything electric for less than £100 and certainly don't get a sniper rifle.

If you'll be wanting a second gun in real colours once you've got UKARA sorted, it'll be more financially viable to just hire 3 times, get your UKARA and buy a proper RIF in real colours from the off. As bear in mind you'll need batteries, chargers, gun bags and probably a few magazines to go with any gun you buy.

If you've been a few times you get a feel for things too, you can ask people what sort of gear they use, pick up some opinions, maybe try out a few people's guns to see what sort of thing you like the feel of.

It gets expensive very fast so I hate to see people blowing money on things and regretting it later. For the sake of waiting three games, it's really not worth getting a two tone.

I know resisting the urge is tough, but the experience gained in the wait will save you no end of trouble.

The best advice I can give aside from what I've already said, is to give this thread a read through, it's rather aptly named; "The Beginners Guide to Airsoft"

• AF-UK Founding Member

Welcome to the forums :)

As above, if you do decide to go the two tone route, don't worry about it and other people. The aim is to have fun and enjoy yourself.

Morning guys! Thanks very much for the advice,Appreciate it!

Yeah..Think i'l hold off on the two tone then,That Urban Assault place is close by so going to book myself and a friend in their and see how we get on :)

Looks like a really good forum so will be sticking around!

Thanks!

• Supporters

Before you spend any more, calcal, bear in mind what Ed said above. It goes for gear just as much as guns. The only things I'd advise you to get at this stage are boots and mesh eye protection. If you have an idea what sort of camouflage you want, choose your boots and eyepro colours to match, if not, black goes with everything!

As a general rule, modern boots with neoprene, goretex, etc., are more comfortable but rarely waterproof and, even when advertised as waterproof, sometimes don't survive getting soaked all that well. Directly Moulded Sole (DMS) leather boots such as German Para Boots or British Assault Boots are much less comfortable as they come, but can be improved considerably with insoles. They are completely waterproof.

There is an ongoing debate about whether mesh or lenses are better for eyepro. I much prefer mesh, but have a read of the many threads about them...

Yeah i bought some glasses,And a mesh mask aswell? Been looking aound different sites for clothing and camo..Was thinking of going all black because i seen a LA vest i liked! haha Enjoyable way of spending money if i do say so myself!

Getting the essentials first :)

• Supporters

True Dave, but they still fall into the two broad categories: modern materials vs leather, but you've also got to consider then that some civilian fell walking boots, like Peter Storm (which I wear myself, just not for airsofting), are really just slightly more rugged trainers - not much good to protect the soles of your feet from punctures and not as good for protecting ankles from getting turned over as more serious boots.

The thing is that if you are going to go for civvi leather boots, they won't be any more comfortable than surplus military boots with insoles, but a lot more expensive.

Archived