The 'What have you just broken' Thread

Ian_Gere
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

blew the cylinder head gasket on my truck, an airlock must've developed while re-filling the radiator and I just forgot to continually top it up. Hottest day of the year, going an easy 70 on the motorway, next thing I know steam is piling out of the engine. :(

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

blew the cylinder head gasket on my truck, an airlock must've developed while re-filling the radiator and I just forgot to continually top it up. Hottest day of the year, going an easy 70 on the motorway, next thing I know steam is piling out of the engine. :(

Sh!t, that is what's known in the trade as 'sub-optimal'... fingers crossed you don't need the head skimmed :s

To much of something, Sp00n, or just one sudden jerk? ;)

Sh!t, that is what's known in the trade as 'sub-optimal'... fingers crossed you don't need the head skimmed :s

even better than that, need a new cylinder head and gasket, fortunately the valves and pistons are okay :(

Brought myself an ICS Galil

ARM a couple of weeks ago, and just found a whopping great scratch agenised the
receiver. Bound to happen eventually, but it would have been nice to keep my
new gun “new” for a while.

Not really airsoft, but just broke my wireless card on my PC.

I was wondering why it took 10 minutes to load the forum :/

• Supporters

Tore the little button hole on my Soviet Flask pouch :/

I have some OD thread somewhere. It's a 2 minute job to fix,thankfully.

Oh the irony! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Fried my gate nano mosfet last week 10 mins into the first game.

I must stress this was a failure of the operator NOT the mosfet,I have already replaced the mosfet and am very happy with the quality.

What happend was the spade connector dropped off the motor and cause a short circuit on the bottom of the pistol grip...now sorted with heatshrink! :)

• Supporters

I prefer to solder my contacts. Lower resistance too.

I think I've kinda sorta broken my MP5's hop unit. Well, I was after a new one anyway. Anyone know of a decent aftermarket one which fits a CYMA?

• Supporters

That reminds me, Tac, the hop unit of my AKS74U has died. I didnmt actually break it, it just fell apart once I had the screws undone. I think that the years of vibration have cause 'plastic fatigue' (it was well used when i got it and i haven't shown it any mercy + this is the 1s time i've managed to break it down, so it's had precious little maintenance).

Also its selector plate was jammed, so I replaced it. Could have refurbed i think, but i'd bought the poxy plate expecting worse, so i tthought i may as well. Time to also upgrade to 6.02mm barrel, 105 spring, aluminium piston head, copper shims, Systema Energy hop rubber, and buckets of Teflon grease...

I've had trouble with it since I put a TBB in the gun back in February. I've taken the TBB out and re-installed it multiple times, thinking I hadn't aligned it properly with the hop unit, but after a quick look with an electrician's snake camera it was fine.

I think I had the hop on full whack when I jammed the TBB in, and I think the nub on the arm's been sheared off. I hope I'll find a replacement Cyma one for cheap, it wasn't altogether bad in use.

not quite ive just broken but my new pistol grips dont quite fit without putting the mechanism off so trying to fix that... also i bought an aug that the batterys were dead in so really cheap, trying to get it to work. every time i find a problem and fix it it turns out theres another problem. but thats why i bought it to learn about internals etc... must do a list of things wrong at some point....

• Supporters

I've had trouble with it since I put a TBB in the gun back in February. I've taken the TBB out and re-installed it multiple times, thinking I hadn't aligned it properly with the hop unit, but after a quick look with an electrician's snake camera it was fine.

I think I had the hop on full whack when I jammed the TBB in, and I think the nub on the arm's been sheared off. I hope I'll find a replacement Cyma one for cheap, it wasn't altogether bad in use.

This post is the main thing I was hoping for when I started this thread: an opportunity to learn from each others' mistakes. Thanks Tac, I'll be checking hop position before re-barreling from now on.

not quite ive just broken but my new pistol grips dont quite fit without putting the mechanism off so trying to fix that... also i bought an aug that the batterys were dead in so really cheap, trying to get it to work. every time i find a problem and fix it it turns out theres another problem. but thats why i bought it to learn about internals etc... must do a list of things wrong at some point....

Maybe do a 'saga thread'. A documentation of the problems, your attempts at solutions, what works, what doesn't, why you choose certain parts over others, etc. and the triumphant debut in the field :)

• Supporters

Oh yeah, lost rather than broken:

My G36 Stock

rrb4.jpg

- is now missing the bit for adjusting the length, which can be seen here:

kojq.jpg

- which doesn't stop me adjusting it, because those nuts and washers I've added allow my to easily grip the bolt and pull it, but it is loose enough to rattle, looks sh!t, and isn't as easy to use as simply pressing that angled lever. I didn't mess with it, it just wasn't there when I got back to the safe zone one time... :(

Maybe do a 'saga thread'. A documentation of the problems, your attempts at solutions, what works, what doesn't, why you choose certain parts over others, etc. and the triumphant debut in the field :)

mmm, i could if anyone would be interested? im still not sure how far to take it if i even do(the 328fps limit means ill have to be very careful with upgrades etc.)or with the amount ill have to would it be better just to get it working and sell on or sell it as parts... probably all depends on wither or not parts are still accessible for it. i found some but others i cant even find an out of stock on... decisions....

• Supporters

Oh I think anyone who has built/repaired their own guns would be interested to see how somebody else got on - pick up tips, offer their own experience, debate the merits of one choice over another... you know, shoot the sh!t, as you do.

Having finished installing upgrades into my AKS74U, I discovered upon reassembly that the internal selector lever is knackered. I think I must have done it when it failed me - too much wiggling the fire selector about trying to get the poxy thing to behave! 'Kin £20-ish for gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd's sake! But I'll have to get another, there's no repairing the fcuked one. Lonex I think, from Helmet World on fleabay.

well ill see what i can do but no promises. also dont know what i did but its now shooting further, occasionally. think ill see if ive scewed the hop up up....?

• Supporters

Sounds like a hop thing, yeah.

Archived