New guy with a few qustions ...

MrNexus8
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

New here ...

I have never been airsofting yet but am keen to start now
the weather is warming up. I have a few questions, which I cannot find answers
here but would apologise in advance if I am replicating what others have previously
asked.

1) The UKARA thing ... progression via those three initial games is straight
forward but who keeps records of the number of times you attend a site? I
guess it's easier to keep a track if you attend the same one, but not sure how
they do it. I'd not want to attend the right number of games and not be
recorded so as to not be able to register the for UKARA.

(2) Why is there this restriction on the initial three games? I am
trying to understand the logic to restricting those games so that you cannot
squeeze all three into the first 8 weeks. What am I not seeing here??

(3) Does UKARA cost anything?

(4) The nearest site to me is "The Academy" in Leamington
Spa ... I wonder if anyone has any comments for this site? If I'm going
to start this up I'd prefer it to be a decent site is all.

(5a) Is it better to just hire the guns and accessories on the day or would
it be ok to bring my own 2-tone* G36C? I'm not sure if should bring my own
on the first occasion or not, is all. I have no idea what the fps is so
if it exceeds whatever the site limit is I'm not going to be able to use it ..
how do you know what the gun's fps is anyway? The shop probably told me
but it was last August and I've forgotten.

(5b)* Is two tone considered laughable at these events? Mine is a darker blue and black and actually looks good to me (I hate the green though).

(6) Do many females play airsoft? Just I know one who might be into
it.

Again, if these have been asked before forgive me.

Thanks in advance anyway, and it's good to be amongst what appears to be a
healthy, vibrant, friendly and knowledgeable community!

Regards and fun play times to all,

Guy

• AF-UK Founding Member

Welcome to the forums :)

1. If you ask at the site they'll let you know how they do things. Typically you will have a form which you get 3 stamps on.

2. So that you can't play 3 games in a very short space of time to get a RIF. It proves you have a prolonged interest in the hobby rather than the want for the RIF.

3. No.

4. I can't help I'm afraid. Someone else may be able to.

5. What make is it? If you've spent over £100 on it, it will likely be fine to skirmish. Contact the site and ask for a rental to be put aside, that way if your gun is firing too hot, you have something to play with still. You won't be laughed at and two-tones are a fairly common sight. There will always be a select few who can't bare to lay their eyes on them.. you're there to have fun so don't worry.

6. Yes although it is a very small percentage.

Someone else with more time might expand on my answers a bit more, but hopefully that has resolved most of your queries.

Thank you for that .. very helpful. The gun I own is a Umarex G36C (JG) and cost me £139.98 in September last year. I guess I'd need more than one battery if I used it, but anyway, in answer to your question, that's what I have :)

Hi, welcome to AF-UK :D

Thank you for that .. very helpful. The gun I own is a Umarex G36C (JG) and cost me £139.98 in September last year. I guess I'd need more than one battery if I used it, but anyway, in answer to your question, that's what I have :)

Do you still use the battery that came with it? If you are then consider buying a branded battery, best I've had is a Warrior 8.4v and it lasted me 6 hours of non-stop skirmish on a full charge (in fact my gun was still firing well at the end, so maybe it lasts longer?) typically you'll only get 1-2 hours play on the default with a full charge.

The Academy is a First & Only site. Look here under "Venues" & "Midlands" for details, FPS limits, etc.: http://www.firstandonlyevents.co.uk/ . As F&O is also a Retailer, once you complete your three games, at any F&O venue, you can get your UKARA registration form signed off and F&O can also probably add you to the UKARA database as well.

Thank you for all your replies. I am pleased you mentioned the Academy venue is F&O and I am really pleased you mentioned the battery - yes I use just the original one, so your tip is good advice and I shall be following it.

My thanks :)

Hi, welcome to AF-UK :D

Do you still use the battery that came with it? If you are then consider buying a branded battery, best I've had is a Warrior 8.4v and it lasted me 6 hours of non-stop skirmish on a full charge (in fact my gun was still firing well at the end, so maybe it lasts longer?) typically you'll only get 1-2 hours play on the default with a full charge.

Hey actually, I just looked at the battery that shipped with the gun and it's an 8.4v (1100mAh) battery ... as for the make, it just says Umarex. You reckon 8.4v is good for all day or is 9.6v better? I can only go on what you experienced guys tell me :)

One question though ... I see a higher voltage battery means faster R.O.F but is that detrimental to the gun's motor?? Would hate to get a fast battery (eg LiPo 11.1v) and it burns the motor out!!

The higher voltage of the battery, the more stress it will put on your motor. I would stick to an 8.4v for your gun to gun the motor the best life on it. A 1100mAh battery should last you all day if you have good trigger discipline, otherwise I would consider getting a spare or a battery with more capacity

The higher voltage of the battery, the more stress it will put on your motor. I would stick to an 8.4v for your gun to gun the motor the best life on it. A 1100mAh battery should last you all day if you have good trigger discipline, otherwise I would consider getting a spare or a battery with more capacity

I hear you and have bought another 8.4v 1600mAh as a spare, and the shop (Action Hobbies in M/Keynes) agree with your comments :)

(On a side note, I have booked my very first event at The Academy in Leamington for 18th May ... wooha!)

can i just ask something nexus, if you havent been airsofting yet, how come you have a g36 and a digital camo loadout?

Sure. I am about to go in the next three weeks. Rather than fork out for kit all in one hit, I have been accruing it over the past 6 months, and now I am ready :)

• Supporters

Your defence - playing your three games ane maybe getting UKARA (not essential for buying RIFs) shows your committment to airsoft as a sport as Devastator said. The idea is to make it slightly more difficult for someone to buy a RIF and then use it to rob a shop or something! This may sound a bit ridiculous when anyone over 18 can buy a RIF immediately so long as it is classed as an air gun - in face there was a thread a while ago about a shop selling a dessert eagle airsoft pistol without the need for a defence and that was because it was listed as an air gun and not an airsoft one.

I think that as it is so easy to play your three games then it does help the airsoft case as being a responsible sport and hopefully would help againgst the anti-gun lobby. Hiring a gun or using a two-tone during those games also gives you the chance to see what other [players are using and talk to them about their guns before making your own choice.

Your two-tone would be fine and many sites can adjust the fps if it is over their limit (they have a crono machine that tests the fps). The two-tones that come in the dull blue and black blend in well and you can always use a bit of camo tape at the site (remove it before you leave) to disguise it even more. The main problem is with the bright orange/green two-tones as most players wear some form of camo gear to make themselves a harder target - bbs can sting when they hit you so best avoided if possible! A bright orange gun can make you stand out a bit - would you play wearing a flourescent vest? Not many players use a two-tone once they have their defence and so it tends to be those under 18 with no family UKARA available that have to use them.

Many sites have fast chargers in the safe zone and you can recharge your battery during the lunch break. Otherwise the 8.4v 1600mAh will last for the morning session unless you are really firing non-stop. Would probably last a full day with a more experienced player who only shoots when they know they have a decent target/range - then you just carry a second battery for the afternoon.

Your defence - playing your three games ane maybe getting UKARA (not essential for buying RIFs) shows your committment to airsoft as a sport as Devastator said. The idea is to make it slightly more difficult for someone to buy a RIF and then use it to rob a shop or something! This may sound a bit ridiculous when anyone over 18 can buy a RIF immediately so long as it is classed as an air gun - in face there was a thread a while ago about a shop selling a dessert eagle airsoft pistol without the need for a defence and that was because it was listed as an air gun and not an airsoft one.

I think that as it is so easy to play your three games then it does help the airsoft case as being a responsible sport and hopefully would help againgst the anti-gun lobby. Hiring a gun or using a two-tone during those games also gives you the chance to see what other [players are using and talk to them about their guns before making your own choice.

Your two-tone would be fine and many sites can adjust the fps if it is over their limit (they have a crono machine that tests the fps). The two-tones that come in the dull blue and black blend in well and you can always use a bit of camo tape at the site (remove it before you leave) to disguise it even more. The main problem is with the bright orange/green two-tones as most players wear some form of camo gear to make themselves a harder target - bbs can sting when they hit you so best avoided if possible! A bright orange gun can make you stand out a bit - would you play wearing a flourescent vest? Not many players use a two-tone once they have their defence and so it tends to be those under 18 with no family UKARA available that have to use them.

Many sites have fast chargers in the safe zone and you can recharge your battery during the lunch break. Otherwise the 8.4v 1600mAh will last for the morning session unless you are really firing non-stop. Would probably last a full day with a more experienced player who only shoots when they know they have a decent target/range - then you just carry a second battery for the afternoon.

I refer to the comment "Your defence - playing your three games and maybe getting UKARA (not essential for buying RIFs)" ...this quote in bold is interesting ... I thought you can only buy a RIF if you have a UKARA "licence". Are you saying it's needed for airsoft but not airguns? Just a little cloudy on this, that's all.

Really informative post though, thank you!

• Supporters

UKARA is worth having as the main online retailers have access to the database and can easily check that you have your defence. However, site membership is also a valid defence as indeed is the face that your have completed your three games over a minimum of two months at a registered site (with public liability insurance). The seller could just call your local site and ask them to confirm that you have completed the number of games but it is easier for them to use the UKARA database - but if they want your business they should be willing to make the call.

If you decide to import a RIF from USA or the Far East then having the UKARA number on the outside of the package may avoid delays with customs. As registration is easy then UKARA registration seems a logical thing to do but some airsofters may feel it an imposition by retailers and avoid it for that reason.

The rules for airguns are different - you have to be 18+ and transactions have to be face-to-face although you can order over the internet and they either deliver to a local registered firearms dealer or some say they can use couriers who will carry out the ID check. For airguns the retailer has to record the gun seriel number and your name/address.I believe that you can not `gift' an airgun to anyone under 18 whereas you can `gift' an airsoft gun - other differences in the law as well.

Archived