Gun cams

ipxfreeze14
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Best thing to do is buy a small camcorder and fashion a small picattiny/barrel mount for it. But tbh, a camcorder on the side of your head or mounted on your helmet is, in my opinion, a lot better. It gives the viewer a clearer perception of what you're seeing and looks better than a gun cam

Best thing to do is buy a small camcorder and fashion a small picattiny/barrel mount for it. But tbh, a camcorder on the side of your head or mounted on your helmet is, in my opinion, a lot better. It gives the viewer a clearer perception of what you're seeing and looks better than a gun cam

Ok thanks

Here's an alright cam, not best for quality or FPS (Frames Per Second) but it's an alright starter. Small and compact aswell.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-DV-Smallest-Resolution-Camcorder/dp/B003URUXVQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365889499&sr=8-2&keywords=muvi

I see it for £20, a bit unsure for the £8 I linked above though.

best setup (and the only one I'd consider running) would be a headcam facing forwards, showing your perspective with a rifle cam facing back at you showing your movements and that.

I second that. With a gun cam half of the footage is of the ground, but with a headcam you get good footage even when you're not firing.

I use an HD Contour to film. It's good quality (1080p) and compact so it doesn't get in the way of my gear. You can get loads of mounts for it including rail and helmet mounts. You probably won't be able to find one under at least £100 though. Have a look at my channel to get an idea of quality. I think a few other guys on the forum also use one. I've also heard good things about the go pros but personally I prefer the Contour because it's less bulky.

I wouldn't advise getting anything too cheap that doesn't film in HD if you plan on uploading to youtube.

• Supporters

Seems to me it's all about the Contour series nowadays, that said, if cheap is the word, there's a camera called the ACT10 which is of average quality and comes in about £40.

I know relatively little about it, other than a lot of bikers have them on youtube and it'd mount in a standard ring-mount (like most torches use). I was actually considering getting one of these for my gun, then a Contour for my helmet, meaning I can start getting videos from my helmet for the most part, and then edit in a kill-cam or something, though funds don't permit anything at all just yet.

• Supporters

I know this isn't in precisely the same vain as the OP had in mind, but has anyone ever put any thought into cameras that would be suitable for recording night games?

Are there any that have built in Gen1 style night vision? How well would a standard camcorder with a "Night mode" setting work if I also bought a massive IR torch? 'Cos I think I'm going to want to record some night time sniper ops once I get my sniper up and running properly.

I've always much preferred GoPros to contours as I just find the film quality to be better and I'm confident it'll see off a hit from a BB, however, the trade off is that they are bigger.

GoPro have also released an NVG mount a while back :D

I know this isn't in precisely the same vain as the OP had in mind, but has anyone ever put any thought into cameras that would be suitable for recording night games?

Are there any that have built in Gen1 style night vision? How well would a standard camcorder with a "Night mode" setting work if I also bought a massive IR torch? 'Cos I think I'm going to want to record some night time sniper ops once I get my sniper up and running properly.

These are the only one's I've seen with IR LEDs - may also fit in a standard torch mount on a gun or helmet. You could boost the IR level by getting an IR bulb for a cheap Ultrafire torch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/007-Spy-Cam-Camera-Torch-Mini-DVR-UK-Shop-/320953932889?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item4aba585c59

• Supporters

These are the only one's I've seen with IR LEDs - may also fit in a standard torch mount on a gun or helmet. You could boost the IR level by getting an IR bulb for a cheap Ultrafire torch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/007-Spy-Cam-Camera-Torch-Mini-DVR-UK-Shop-/320953932889?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item4aba585c59

That may well do the job if I get some stronger IR LEDs, cheers for that.

I've always much preferred GoPros to contours as I just find the film quality to be better and I'm confident it'll see off a hit from a BB, however, the trade off is that they are bigger.

GoPro have also released an NVG mount a while back :D

Thing with Contours is that their shape lends itself to being on the side of your head, whereas the Go Pro is better suited to sitting on the front. If you're riding a bike, or the footage is literally just to show what you saw, then the GoPro is fine and you're right about the footage being better quality. But if you're holding something and the focus is as much on that as what you're looking at, such as a gun, whilst you're airsofting, then I think the Contour is a lot better. The Contour is also a lot simpler to use, which is great for when it's on your head. You can easily use all the controls without having to look at it.

Additionally, if my mate's GoPro HD Hero3 is anything to go by, the Contour ROAM's battery rapes it to death. I can get at least 7 hours of continuous video, I've only ever run out of battery twice, 95% of the time I've been able to record every single second of game time without having to worry about turning it off and on when I'm dead and walking to regen etc. His Go Pro can rarely make it through two average games.

Contour gets my vote every time.

• Supporters

kinda like this >>>

i know little but a friend was intending to use this with his smartphone for team play, could certainly give an advantage...

http://battletac.com/web/guest;jsessionid=281C6161EE7845062C76EB1724C8C978

Just downloaded it, going to give it a try next game!

• Supporters

i know little but a friend was intending to use this with his smartphone for team play, could certainly give an advantage...

http://battletac.com/web/guest;jsessionid=281C6161EE7845062C76EB1724C8C978

I know for a fact that my phone wouldn't last until lunch time with that switched on lol.

kinda like this >>>

And yes, exactly like that. I've seen that video before, but I assume what's being used there is a bit out of budget.

You could try these sunglass cameras. Only problems that could arise is that the eye glass part may not withstand impacting BB's, and the camera itself might take a direct hit, but that could also be said about any other mounted camera system. I suppose you could always wear these underneath a full face mask or other eye protection.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360626042430?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Just thought I'd add: There's a pretty good high quality video review of a more expensive set of sunglasses camera. Recorded footage seems the mutts.

You could try these sunglass cameras. Only problems that could arise is that the eye glass part may not withstand impacting BB's, and the camera itself might take a direct hit, but that could also be said about any other mounted camera system. I suppose you could always wear these underneath a full face mask or other eye protection.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360626042430?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Just thought I'd add: There's a pretty good high quality video review of a more expensive set of sunglasses camera. Recorded footage seems the mutts.

I'll have a look thanks

Wouldn't wearing a mask or other eye wear on top obstruct the view of the camera? Much better if you could somehow integrate the camera into proper eye protection.

Personally I'd go with the contour over the Go Pro simply due to practicality. I don't really notice much of a difference in quality between the two. I remember I mate wearing a Go Pro. Looked like a giant BB magnet on his head. That said the footage was very good.

I think scoutthedoggie uploaded footage with one of these a while back:

http://guncam.com/

I don't think the quality comes close to a Contour or Go Pro but it's the most compact camera I've seen.

• Supporters

I know for a fact that my phone wouldn't last until lunch time with that switched on lol.

And yes, exactly like that. I've seen that video before, but I assume what's being used there is a bit out of budget.

WAY out of budget, gen3 PVS14... 2 grand plus for a used one!

Archived