RIF in suitcase?

royaljoejoe
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have recently bought a RIF off the USA's Evike.com. Very good site, btw. I don't own UKARA though. To bring it back (we are going on holiday there) should I split the receivers and put them in seperate suitcases, or just Two Tone it there (the people we are staying with have orange spray paint)? Thanks alot.

• AF-UK Founding Member

I can't really remember the regulation around this. Personally I don't think you should be 2 toning it yourself as it is much easier to get off again compared to the moulded guns.

You cannot split it as you would then be manufacturing an RIF when you got back here.

You cannot split it as you would then be manufacturing an RIF when you got back here.

I know, but my point is would the airport detain me/luggage/gun?

Most probily i mean wouldnt you if you saw what looks like a rifle that was just simply split in half

I recon the best thing to do is post it to your slef

• Supporters

If you can get it into the country in a single piece, that is fine and it can be left un two toned.

but customs will NOT let it thru, so it has to be cleverly smuggled - Illegal

If you split it into two parts, when you get it back here and assemble it it couts as 'manufacturing a RIF' - Illegal

two tone it AND split it if I were you.

If you can get it into the country in a single piece, that is fine and it can be left un two toned.

but customs will NOT let it thru, so it has to be cleverly smuggled - Illegal

If you split it into two parts, when you get it back here and assemble it it couts as 'manufacturing a RIF' - Illegal

two tone it AND split it if I were you.

Luggage scanners and things can easily detect anything (they even see clothes). Even plastic knives and porcelin guns show up bright as day. Most airports have computer software to assist in the scanning. Unless it was fully declared I wouldn't bother. It'd probably be spotted with you trying to leave the country because the plastic/fibreglass parts show up just as clear as the metal, disassembling won't do a whole lot.

Then there's the bloody-mindedness of most officials towards RIFs that you have to remember. It's like the Psueodophoto arguement, the fact its not real doesn't alter the way the law see's it. In law, these things count the same as real. In some juristictions - especially the US I believe - an imitation firearm is the same as a real one. If they wanted to make trouble, it'd be pretty bad.

As for what they happily confiscate, the list of things you're allowed on a plane, either in luggage or hand-luggage, is pretty ###### small. I got taken off a plane in Amsterdam because I had a short length of nylon rope (don't ask) in my suitcase. They didn't care why or want to ask about it, they just took me off the plane to show me they'd removed it after seeing it on the scanner. Making me miss my flight was essentially the unofficial punishment to make sure I 'didn't do it again'.

It depends where you're flying from in the US, their security is pretty hit-and-miss but I personally would not bother. Two-toned and disassembled probably won't change it one iota unless its fully declared, you get a slip from the airline saying they're happy to carry it AND that its not a violation of the AIRPORT rules carrying it through their infrastructure.

Edit: The word filter scrambled the word damned?

OK thanks, I'll probably get it two toned, bring upper receiver, then get the people we're staying with to post the lower receiver later. Thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
Admin please close.

Well said Royal...

From the forum Rules...

• Illegal/Banned Subjects

You cannot discuss anything that will help someone break the law in his or her locale. This means talking about:

How to evade paying tax on imported goods

How to get restricted items past customs..

• Supporters

not correct, taking an RIF on an aeroplane isnt illegal providing you have defense I.E UKARA, i believe a number of flight company let you take RIF's and IF's on there flights providing you let them know about it and get it checked out.

not correct, taking an RIF on an aeroplane isnt illegal providing you have defense I.E UKARA, i believe a number of flight company let you take RIF's and IF's on there flights providing you let them know about it and get it checked out.

Matt Fair enough, I have learnt some things on this forum....

However I draw your attention to the opening post....

"I have recently bought a RIF off the USA's Evike.com. Very good site, btw. I don't own UKARA though."

• Supporters

thought the guy was getting it 2 toned?

anyone its a bit of a dumb thread as you would do research before buying it? not after and wondering why it wouldnt work, sorry Ettienne didnt see that bit of the thread either.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Matt Fair enough, I have learnt some things on this forum....

However I draw your attention to the opening post....

"I have recently bought a RIF off the USA's Evike.com. Very good site, btw. I don't own UKARA though."

Its not illegal to own RIFs in the UK without UKARA, so what he said is not incriminating. The VCRA pertains to purchase and sale in/to the UK. If they had made ownership illegal, all those of us who have been airsofting the past ten years (like me) would be in deep.

If the RIF is in checked luggage, I highly doubt anyone will care. I have brought RIFs from other countries no problem (once when actually moving from US to UK, so it was in with the rest of the house furninture) and one time a cheap plastic springer from greece to UK. Both times no issues at all.

• 5 months later...

Sorry for posting in a such old tread but I have a similar question.

Not being UKARA registered, can I own RIF parts? ea. I see a really good offer, if I wait two months it will be gone and if I buy it now it will have to be sprayed (ruined). So can I now legally ask the seller to take it apart, then I just leave it as it is until I legally can put it together again? (and can he legally do that?)

After reading what I wrote I feel a bit silly thinking that those offers surly will come up in a few months time and that I probably should wait, but I am still interested to know the answer to the question.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Not sure I understand what you're saying, but it sounds like you want to be sold a broken up RIF.

The person selling it can't possibly satisfy himself that you're not just going to put it together when you receive the parts so no you cannot do it.

If this hasn't answered your question then please make a new topic (this one was asked to be closed by OP and we missed it)

Cheers.

Archived