AEP or GBB

Kaza66
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, sold my previous, two tone sidearm.

Now decision time. To get a G18C AEP - fit it with a lipo get a few mags (Cheaper, more relbiable option)

OR

A GBB of some sort (More realistic, nicer option but maybe not worth it for the use it gets)

Your thoughts?

I've got both and have fitted a Lipo in a CYMA Dessie, which has improved the trigger response no end, but I'm pretty sure even using a small 800mAh Lipo that it would not fit in the space in a G18C.

For most of the year a GBB will be a much better bet, what with it being nearer to realistic than an AEP, but an AEP will be useful in really cold weather when a GBB will vent after a few rounds. On balance, go for the GBB.

e.e Not sure now,

Was previously leaning towards the AEP due to in - frequent use of my previous GBB at skirmishes and yet still paying out for gas and silicone oil. Whats the hop up like on the AEP I hear its supposed to be really good?
Thanks

• Supporters

What matters more?

Reliability, or realism?

Realism = GBB.

Reliability = AEP.

Personally, I'd like to have an AEP for the dependance. If I need to pull it out, I know it'll work. With my gas pistols, I always have to sort of pray before I resort to it lol. They never seem to work properly for me.

But I hate the shoddy feel of AEPs, so even though they're more likely to get me shot to pieces, I'd still opt for a GBB every time.

What matters more?

Reliability, or realism?

Realism = GBB.

Reliability = AEP.

Personally, I'd like to have an AEP for the dependance. If I need to pull it out, I know it'll work. With my gas pistols, I always have to sort of pray before I resort to it lol. They never seem to work properly for me.

But I hate the shoddy feel of AEPs, so even though they're more likely to get me shot to pieces, I'd still opt for a GBB every time.

Yep, correct indeed. Although I think realism more comes into play when your plinking, and have time to appreciate the realism, whereas in a game scenario you just want to get BB's out there, although granted, it feels better when you can fire your BB's in more style.

Personally I don't believe id get enough use out of a GBB for it to be worth it, and id probably end up forgetting about it and letting the seals dry out- whereas a AEP you don't have to worry about that, its there when you need it.

Still un decided :/

A GBB is on average going to push out BBs at around the 270 - 300 fps range, whilst most AEPs will sit around the 200 mark, as they are more difficult to upgrade than an AEG, so are sat at a much softer state of tune. An AEP will also work best with 0.2s at that power output, whereas the GBB will be happy on 0.25s or above, giving you a bit better range with the hop set correctly.

The only real advantage of the AEP, over the GBB, in normal playing conditions is that they will usually fire on auto, rather than single shot, which "might" be an advantage, although as most sites specify single shot in CQB encounters you would lose that advantage anyway. If you can only go with one, why not see if you can have a play with both types at the next game and see which is going to suit you best before splashing the cash.

That's a good point, fps is a factor. But when you call on your back up, it's likely to be in a CQB situation where the fps and range aren't going to make that much of a difference. However if you run out of ammo that's a different story.

Still got the cash lying around so any extra opinions ideas and experiences would be helpful :)

Thanks for your help guys

if i was buying a side arm again, i wouldn't even bother with a pistol, id go for a short shotgun. why, cheaper, no gas costs etc, no reliability issues with weather, cool factor, no worrying about seals, gas leaks etc, no batteries to change/squeeze in, not having to carry a tin of gas, not having to remember to charge batteries/replace etc, better at range as a backup if my main fails, etc etc...

though something that hasn't been said for gas, even when i miss with it usually people put up their hand and go back to re-spawn due to the intimidation factor (mostly newbs though)

But it means having to carry around a still large gun that will just get in the way, unless you get a shotgun holster.

Pistols are far more maneuverable and a decent pistol can easily replace a primary.

Plus the coolness of GBB. My shotgun is fun, but just the small thud of the cylinder and springs is very disappointing.

i love my pistol, and have great fun, but if i was playing seriously i would rarely if ever actually need it, and considering it cost around the same as my main... realy if your set on gbb ignore shot gun but if electric is a possible that your thinking about also think shotgun(smaller one probably)

as i said dont discount the gas blow back intimidation factor. i think i had 3 people who surrendered rather than let me shoot them when i fired at them, it just sounds more painful.... :D

• Supporters

I love my GBB pistol and have on occasion used it on it's own for CQB as it's so much more pointable.

BUT!

I honestly do not believe I am getting my money's worth with it. My pistol simply does not get enough use to justify the cost and the only reason I tend to carry it for woodland games now is that it's on the same belt as my dump pouch.

That said, if you really want a pistol (they are cool) go with GBB, you'll use it so infrequently that a single can of gas will last you months anyway and the feel of shooting a GBB is so much more satisfying than an AEP which feels and sounds gutless.

GBB, nothing ads more ralisum to a game like a man sat behind a rock bashing his weapon against a rock while screaming "work you f*cking piece of sh*t"

but yeah, GBB pistol ftw. only reason i went back to my AEG over my GBB rifle was because mag cost, otherwise id be a full time gas man.

• Supporters

I decided that the main reason I would pull my pistol would be if my primary had run out of ammo or, and this was, and sort of remains, sadly an all too frequent event, if it was fucked. So reliability and a reasonable range were important, but also cost because i) I had less money available for airsoft then and ii) because I didn't want to risk a lot on something which I expected to break fairly easily.

I bought a Palco Firepower CO2 Raider for £35 from Action Hobbies - NBB, powerful, accurate enough for skirmishing, still working fine. Check my review. The main problem with it is that it's too powerful for a lot of sites but, as a woodland backup, it's very good.

Archived