Noob from West London - Some questions

Kosmickid
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all,

I'm Sam from Heathrow and been lurking on these forums for a little while and interested in getting involved in Airsoft. My cousin played a few years back in America and suggested I give it a go!

I've been reading through the guides and did a search to find answers to some questions I had but there's so much information to take in, so forgive me if I sound thick and confused!!

1) How do you go about buying a RIF (non-two tone/luminous gun) when you have joined the UKARA? My understanding is you have to have played no less than 3 games in 2 months, If so what do you use in those initial games?

I'd rather buy a RIF than have to buy a IF first and then change to a RIF after I have those games under my belt?

2) I'm interested in the AEG M4 or G36 from the guide on here, where's the cheapest to buy these from? Im after something sound say the £150ish mark and something that i can add a scope, light to etc for functionality and realism? Could someone suggest the guns and retailers along with the appropriate add ons?

3) Are transparent guns in the same category as luminous ones ie you don't need UkARA registration to buy one?

4) I'm in west london near Heathrow, is there any local airsoft sites and can go and have a look at games being played if possible?

Thanks in advance and hope to see you all soon.

Hi Sam and welcome to airsoft!

1) As you've said above, to get a UKARA, you need to play 3 games in no less than 2 months but in no more than 1 year. Most sites offer a hire service or you could buy a two-tone gun and then get it painted black/camo once you get your UKARA.

2) Combat Machines from G&G are great starter guns and come in different types such as an AK, and an M4 with/without rails. For a G36, you could maybe look at SRC.

3) Transparent guns are classed as an IF (which means it can be brought without a UKARA) as long as its 51% transparent/two-tone (which they all should be anyway).

4) This map has more-or-less every skirmish site in the UK, have a look at what ones are near to you. :)http://www.airsoftmap.net/Skirmish/

By the looks of it, there are quite a few near you.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Oh yeah, some decent websites in my opinion are:

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/

http://www.airsoftworld.net/

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/

HI kosmic :-)i can reccomend g and g as a good solid starter brand....you can get quite a good gun for around 150 quid but dont forget to factor in the cost of some batteries,charger,bb's and in some cases shipping!

about 200 quid sounds right.

I use the G&G GR15 blowback AEG which is an m4 style rifle with rails and I can highly reccomend that rifle and it retails for about 150 to 180 depending where you look.

happy hunting and welcome to the fornum buddy...its a madhouse here :-P

• Supporters

Anthrax, anyone?

...It's great with tea, apparently.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. The above posts have c,eared up some confusion and I've narrowed down what I want.

I'm going to go for a G36 transparent with extra mags,batteries etc, not sure which brand or shop though?!

After lurking on the forums I do like the US desert/tan camo gear. uKtactical seem to have a vast collection of authentic kit, some reasonable prices, some bl**dy expensive! Again, any other cheaper shops for this other than the aforementioned?

Hey kosmic!

I pick up a lot of my kit from army surplus stores.....some of it can be a little overpriced but you can pick up some real gems as well....check out the ones in your area fella!!

My personal favourite for kit: Try out www.military1st.co.uk They have a ride range of kit for good prices

Seems like a good site, will keep me busy this evening!

Hey kosmic!

I pick up a lot of my kit from army surplus stores.....some of it can be a little overpriced but you can pick up some real gems as well....check out the ones in your area fella!!

Hey bud. Seems to be quite a few suppliers online and local. What are wolfarmouries like? They're based in Camden and have a shop as well were I can check out the guns and gear.

I think it may be sensible to perhaps get the clothing/gloves, helmet etc and play a few games with a hired gun before I get a RIF as I'd much rather spend the initial money sensibly.

There seems to be loads of airsoft sites according to airsoftmap.net as I don't mind travelling upto 2 hours and play in woodland, sandpit, rural areas which is my preference rather than built up areas. It's left me a little confused as to which one to join.

However, UCAP airsoft looks awesome, they do sandpit, bunker, greenops, the wing and Virus which is an excellent mix of game scenarios. Does anyone on here go to any of these aforementioned sites?

Just to add, I'm also a cancer patient and have a colostomy, would this stop me playing Airsoft at any sites? Obviously I'd be wearing a vest and be protected and concealed. I'm perfectly fit and unhealthy otherwise, walk, run and ride a motorbike so there aren't any physical limitations aside from pain I get from the tumour which is controlled by medication.

I just want to be sure before I splash out on any gear.

No site should kick you off for that. They never ask for any medical issues either. Just maybe get a bit of extra protection. You should also be fine for the day if you're perfectly fit, have fun airsofting :)

I know the law with regards to carrying, using RIFs. However, with regards to tactical gear/clothing, do you guys wear it to the games or get changed on site?

More specifically is there any issue with the law being stopped or being seen wearing say full combat gear, vest, goggles, etc say if you had to nip out to Tescos or put fuel in the car enroute to a game. It's probably a silly question but I knows there's laws about impersonating a Police officer so wondered if there's any laws or dangers in impersonating military personnel, or certainly someone who loos like they're gonna kick some butt :) again probably really thick but I'd thought I'd ask now!

Anything got me thinking. There's far more two-tone/luminous guns than there are transparent, AFAIK, does that make it more difficult when playing games and visibility for the enemy? I've got some black dye which I use to professionally dye stock horrid luminous yellow Rc car wheels, so rather than change the gun I could dye it black once I get UKaRA registered?

I'm probably going to go for this gun:

http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/product.asp?page=product&id=GE0636IIDT

Can I ask for people's opinions on it? Does it have a Hop-Up? I know its not the type 3 gearbox, would that make any difference for a noob.

There's also this:

http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/product.asp?page=product&id=GE0501TMIIDT

What's a good scope that will fit either gun?

i usually just wear the shirt and trousers etc, then when i get there I put the vest and belt with all the pouches etc.

with regards to the weapons, if they mean type 2=Gen 2, then no i wouldn't recommend you get them, they aren't as good as the gen3 versions (unsurprisingly lol)

and yes you can just colour it once you have a defence (UKARA), or at least that's my understanding of it. if im wrong hopefully someone can correct me.

If I remember later, I'll try to find a website with Gen3 guns on it so you can take a look at them.

with regards to your health, usually sites only ask about asthma, incase someone has some sort of breathing problem, then they know what to do. If I'm understanding this right, then you shouldn't have any life threatening in the middle of a game, and you have your medicine if you feel pain anyway so I'm sure you'll be okay.

And by scope, do you mean magnification or a red dot sight? They aren't really nessacary but I'm sure someone else can reccomend something, I just use some cheap chinese red dot and a proper hunting scope for my sniper rifle :P

-Zak

i usually just wear the shirt and trousers etc, then when i get there I put the vest and belt with all the pouches etc.

with regards to the weapons, if they mean type 2=Gen 2, then no i wouldn't recommend you get them, they aren't as good as the gen3 versions (unsurprisingly lol)

and yes you can just colour it once you have a defence (UKARA), or at least that's my understanding of it. if im wrong hopefully someone can correct me.

If I remember later, I'll try to find a website with Gen3 guns on it so you can take a look at them.

with regards to your health, usually sites only ask about asthma, incase someone has some sort of breathing problem, then they know what to do. If I'm understanding this right, then you shouldn't have any life threatening in the middle of a game, and you have your medicine if you feel pain anyway so I'm sure you'll be okay.

And by scope, do you mean magnification or a red dot sight? They aren't really nessacary but I'm sure someone else can reccomend something, I just use some cheap chinese red dot and a proper hunting scope for my sniper rifle :P

-Zak

Cheers bud, in that case I also found a cheaper £110) with the Type 3 gearbox : http://www.airsoftworld.net/airsoft-guns/airsoft-bb-gun-type/airsoft-bb-gun-rifles/airsoft-bb-gun-modern-rifles/aeg-h-k-g36c-styled-airsoft-aeg-rifle-xmas-offer-deal.html

Is this any good considering its about £40 cheaper and better gearbox?

I think the red dot and scopes are just to make it look cool more than anything else!! So yes any recommendations as to cheapy red dot sights would be great as I'm not looking to get a sniper rifle so wouldn't need magnification.

If I went for say the SRC M4, are the RIS rails and handguards from other manufacturers of M4s compatible, ie G&P, ICS etc?

Ahh, airsoft gets a bit more confusing now. SRC are the ones that marks their generation of guns as 1.2 or 3. and different guns use different models of Gearboxes, M4s=Version2, AKs=Version3, MP5s=V2, and G36s=V3

So the one you just sent from airsoft world is ACM (All China Made), and therefore a lower quality but it uses the V3 gearbox because it's a G36...I hope i am making sense.

TL;DR/Didn't make sense? Gen3≠V3 sorry if i caused confusion :P

http://airsoft-club.com/shop/ take a look around here for accessories, on the main page it has a currency changer thing, you can change it to £££ there. It's based in Hong Kong, but I've used them lots as have others. Just be careful how much you buy :lol: the prices are tempting but the postage costs aren't, and it can take up to 3 weeks, because its by air mail.

And also, the ICS RIS rails won't fit because ICS are f*cking idiots and changed the size of their handguards so they're a bit smaller than everyone elses... <_<

the G&P should fit, although don't quote me on that.

Ahh, airsoft gets a bit more confusing now. SRC are the ones that marks their generation of guns as 1.2 or 3. and different guns use different models of Gearboxes, M4s=Version2, AKs=Version3, MP5s=V2, and G36s=V3

So the one you just sent from airsoft world is ACM (All China Made), and therefore a lower quality but it uses the V3 gearbox because it's a G36...I hope i am making sense.

TL;DR/Didn't make sense? Gen3≠V3 sorry if i caused confusion :P

http://airsoft-club.com/shop/ take a look around here for accessories, on the main page it has a currency changer thing, you can change it to £££ there. It's based in Hong Kong, but I've used them lots as have others. Just be careful how much you buy :lol: the prices are tempting but the postage costs aren't, and it can take up to 3 weeks, because its by air mail.

And also, the ICS RIS rails won't fit because ICS are f*cking idiots and changed the size of their handguards so they're a bit smaller than everyone elses... <_<

the G&P should fit, although don't quote me on that.

LOL my head hurts now haha. Seriously, I think I've got it!! Thanks for the heads up on the link, I think my credit card is going to take a hammering this month (without lube) :D

Hey kosmic sorry to hear about the cancer.....go kick the shit out of it son!

on the subject of guns I noticed you went for a gun with a folding stock....are you sure thats what you would feel happy using?

I use my m4 with a sliding stock as it lets me 'balance' the guns weight better..I recently used a mates folding stock gun and foun it awkward to flip it open and closed because of my kit getting in the way....I had to take the sling off to flip it,also being a lefty I found it hard to open and close the stock with ease and lastly....if the length of the stock doesn't tailor to your arm length then there is no adjustment...I found after an hour or so my wrist started giving out....just thought I complicate it a bit more for ya!!! ;-)

Hey kosmic sorry to hear about the cancer.....go kick the shit out of it son!

on the subject of guns I noticed you went for a gun with a folding stock....are you sure thats what you would feel happy using?

I use my m4 with a sliding stock as it lets me 'balance' the guns weight better..I recently used a mates folding stock gun and foun it awkward to flip it open and closed because of my kit getting in the way....I had to take the sling off to flip it,also being a lefty I found it hard to open and close the stock with ease and lastly....if the length of the stock doesn't tailor to your arm length then there is no adjustment...I found after an hour or so my wrist started giving out....just thought I complicate it a bit more for ya!!! ;-)

Thanks matey!

I haven't bought a gun as yet but just putting out suggestions on what to get. I may go with the SRC M4 transparent with retractable stock but thanks for the heads up... I wouldn't haven known otherwise.

Does anyone know if the UCAP sites allow clear/two-tone guns? Wolfarmouries said that some sites don't allow them. I have emailed UCAP but as its the weekend I may not get a reply until the week.

yeah, im sure ucap will allow it, if not £10 camo tape will sort that out :)

Thanks Chaps. Ok ready to order ze gun...what do you think of this:

http://www.airsoftworld.net/airsoft-guns/airsoft-bb-gun-type/airsoft-bb-gun-rifles/airsoft-bb-gun-modern-rifles/aeg-h-k-g36c-styled-airsoft-aeg-rifle-xmas-offer-deal.html

Seems excellent value at £99+ £10 for two tone paint

It's a G36 with Gen III gearbox.seems ok to perhaps get me going?

I didn't realise how difficult it would be choosing a gun, has anyone had that problem or am I being a fussy git?

Am I right in thinking I can use camo tape as mentioned to cover the horrid two tone paints and then remove it prior to leaving the airsoft site to comple with the law?

Archived