Swapping out 2tone parts for black replacements?

TacMaster
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Anyway, I want to swap out my MP5's handguard for a torch one, and the normal is handguard painted in some obscure turquoise colour that I could not hope to find without massive expendature. I've found one which is relatively cheap (and black of course) would I be breaking the law if I replaced my handguard with it?

Why does UKARA come up on all these? UKARA doesn't "approve" you. It is not a licence. IT does not allow you to do anything (in law). All it is is a cheap and easy way for a retailer to check that you come under one of the groups of people for which they have a defence in law for selling RIF's to.

sp00n, whilst you are correct it is not illegal to own a RIF, it IS illegal to manufacture one without a defence. Changing a coloured part for a plain black one such that it decreases the percentage of bright colour to blow 50% is manufacturing.

If you wish to alter an IF in such a way that it becomes a RIF (less than 50% in one of the allowed bright colours) then for it to be legal you need to have that defence, so in airsoft you need to skirmish "regularly" at a place where public liability insurance is carried for playing airsoft. Whether you are a site member or not matters not a jot. Whether you have registered with UKARA or not matters not a jot. It is being able to prove that you have a defence against prosecution under the VCRA that is the important thing, otherwise you stand to be prosecuted for manufacturing a realistic imitation firearm if you are caught.

Archived