and nobody saw this coming!

adam bussey
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Imagine pulling up at a McDonald's drive through in one of those though!! :o

• Supporters

Imagine turning up at McDeathnalds in one of those but with real miniguns...

needless to say, they wouldnt refuse me service, nor will they charge me.........if they wanted to live.

But in all honesty, the design isnt that bad. but could do with some improvements, the adjustable lets are a nice idea. but you would need much larger wheels such as those on 4x4 for all terrain use. or instead use omni directional wheels

also Id want it more like a Mech as I could get, so I wouldnt use tracks. I much rather the 4 wheels on a legs idea.
Two arms with Vulcans on each arm, with missile systems built into the arms them selfs so that they could pop out when armed (iron man style)

needless to say, they wouldnt refuse me service, nor will they charge me.........if they wanted to live.

But in all honesty, the design isnt that bad. but could do with some improvements, the adjustable lets are a nice idea. but you would need much larger wheels such as those on 4x4 for all terrain use. or instead use omni directional wheels

also Id want it more like a Mech as I could get, so I wouldnt use tracks. I much rather the 4 wheels on a legs idea.

Two arms with Vulcans on each arm, with missile systems built into the arms them selfs so that they could pop out when armed (iron man style)

I was thinking tracks on legs

Tracks on legs would be inefficient. The additional weight of the tracks would cause additional strain to parts, when you could perform the same job with a single tire with lots of traction, it would weigh less, and be more maneuverable

Also You could incorporate a spike system alone side each tire to shoot a hydrolic spike into brick work so It would lift its self or have additional support in dodgy angles.

Tracks on legs would be inefficient. The additional weight of the tracks would cause additional strain to parts, when you could perform the same job with a single tire with lots of traction, it would weigh less, and be more maneuverable

Also You could incorporate a spike system alone side each tire to shoot a hydrolic spike into brick work so It would lift its self or have additional support in dodgy angles.

you're over complicating thing!

walkers would be a cool design.

A dual leg design would be hard to pull of and keep stable though, so a quadruped would be the design of choice for a walker. Would be fun too. wouldnt be a top speed machine, but it would be the easiest to build out the 3 ideas so far

Think I can get a £300,000 kickstarter to make one of these things?

2 legs not 4!!! although really slow and short strides.

Maybe looking something like this: :P

Dreadnought02.jpg

I want an AT-AT
........ XD a tad big though..

AT-AT-Hoth1.jpg

• Supporters

why don't we as a forum make a simplified one for airsoft and demonstration? i would fund it!

We would have to make two... so they could fight!

Yeah the issue with the Warhammer concept, is that its a game. In real life there is this issue known as "Gravity - thou art a heartless bitch" So they would need a very wide base to be stable. or a very complicated design to keep them well balenced on a small frame. which is more effort than any of us are willing to do.

Adam, your little concept is a practical one. Wide base, four stilt legs for best balance, and the leg design would provide the abiltiy to raise and lower the cockpit.

Quite cheap. I also chose to get a crappy iPhone too. I think I might use that as target practice.I'll keep my S3 instead. And I think "HEYAYAYAYA....." will be devastating for N. Korea.

North Korea are going to be ordering 1 for each soldier...

Yeah the issue with the Warhammer concept, is that its a game. In real life there is this issue known as "Gravity - thou art a heartless bitch" So they would need a very wide base to be stable. or a very complicated design to keep them well balenced on a small frame. which is more effort than any of us are willing to do.

Adam, your little concept is a practical one. Wide base, four stilt legs for best balance, and the leg design would provide the abiltiy to raise and lower the cockpit.

I based the legs off of backhoe diggers

post-5813-0-23870500-1365930574_thumb.jpg

It wouldn't be that hard to do actually. Its just finding a hydraulic pump compact, but also powerful enough to move the thing. In reality the pump would be the size of a shed. More possibly needed if you were to bog the machine down with amour.

• Supporters

One way to make a walker much more stable would be to use a couple of hundred kilo heavy flywheel mounted horizontally as part of the power system - vacuum bearings rolling on PTFE; charge it up by spinning the flywheel up to 20-30K rpm - the spinning weight would make it resistant to tilting.

Its not bad for a prototype build by a software tech in his shed.

Give it to a couple of engineers with a bigger budget and you'll see that thing taking over New York in a couple of years.

It can never be "quick" though. The way the legs are, it has to drag itself forward which is never a fast method of propulsion.

Archived