ICS L85 VS ICS GALIL

Willz248
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

I'm asking for some advice on the two guns stated in the title.

For a long time now I have been debating in my mind whether to buy the ICS L85 or GALIL ,I have searched up videos on u-tube about the two guns ,but never found a good long range shooting test ,as this is what I would want the gun for , because I generally play woodland.

So I was hoping for personal opinions on these guns and some statistics e.g. affective range. Or any other gun suggestions for under £300. I have also thought about the G&G UMG as I am told the hop up is very good on it , but any replies or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :)

• Supporters

Get the L85, the GALIL is a git for magazine compatability.

With a few tweaks you can pretty much get the L85 to become a "point and kill" weapon, before mine had a meltdown (my own fault), it was disgustingly accurate at 60m.

Ask Ed about his because at present I think it's outperforming mine by quite a bit.

Thanks Ile take that advice, but was that a stock l85 and was it a L85A2? because I don't really have cash or time for many upgrades ,thank you yet again .

• Supporters

I imagine the Galil is as good at range, but the L85 is definitely good for it as well, I've hit people at 60m before with relative ease and the only real upgrade I've fitted is a 6.01mm tight bore barrel, set it to fire at around 320fps with .25s and set up my sights so they actually work.

Also, you can't get the L85A1 in airsoft anymore I don't think. The Army Armament one is the only one that comes in the A1 config, but I don't think you can buy them new anymore, I've certainly not seen any for sale anywhere.

Look on my YouTube channel if you want some skirmish footage of the ICS L85A2, I use mine in almost all of my videos. The Skirmish Airsoft videos will probably give you the best idea on range.

sorry I meant l85a2 carbine It has a couple inches shorter barrel ...I will have to save a bit more for the standard l85 ..but have u got the carbine or standard l85?

• Supporters

I have the standard, but the performance will be more or less exactly the same, the only internal difference is about 3 inches of barrel length, which shouldn't really make too much, if any difference.

Thanks for the advice m8 ,I will most likely buy the l85a2 standard and save up a little bit more for that little extra performance ..by the way would you say that the tight bore is necessary ,if so what's the length of it?

• Supporters

If it means saving up to get the full length, I wouldn't bother to be honest, you really won't get any noticeable performance gain from it. You'd be better off getting the carbine and using the money saved on a new inner barrel.

I swear the ICS L85a2's come with a 6.04 or 6.03mm barrel anyway so the tight bore doesn't seem to be a necessity does it?

• Supporters

The standard fits up to a 510mm long barrel, but it comes with a 480mm with a bore of 6.05 (if memory serves - it's definitely not a tightbore), so it might be that they use the same barrel in both and just have the outer barrel different to match the aesthetics of the real one.

For quite a long time though, I used a 455mm barrel and saw the same performance as I do from the 510 I now have.

So just go for the Carbine if you don't mind it, the performance will be the same. I personally don't like the carbine, I don't think it looks as good. They're also made up for airsoft, there's no such thing as an L85 Carbine in real life.

Plus, if you decide you want to add RIS, I don't think you can with the carbine version. So the standard is more modular in that respect.

Depends what you've got to spend and what you want to get out of it, it's entirely up to you. But the performance will be the same.

Yeh thanks .Do you have a scope on yours because it has 19mm rails so is it hard to find a scope or not?

• 2 months later...

@Willz248 You can get a replacement top rail that is a 20mm RIS rail so you can mount standard optics here's a link but it is a bit pricey for one rail.

Link: http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/product.asp?page=product&id=ML28

Its out of stock at the minute but WA seems to get new stock in fairly regularly also to make sure you don't miss it you can pre order one.
Home this helps.

Milspec have this in stock (it's pretty much the same as the real one currently issued).

http://www.milspecsolutions.co.uk/shop/airsoft-accessories/spectre-dr-scope-riser-mount-for-we-l85sa80/

Pretty nice bit of kit, allows me to mount an EoTech 551 on my L85 & carbine.

Alternatively (if you have an ACOG) go for one of these - fits on the original 19mm rail.

http://www.milspecsolutions.co.uk/shop/airsoft-accessories/sa80-acog-riser/

The carbine shouldn't have different performance to the L85 rifle. Mine does, but only because my L85 rifle is buggered.

Ed is correct, if you go for the carbine you can't mount the flashy railed-handguard - unless you do some very serious work (it involves a lathe and hack-saw) to modify it.

Thanks guys for the great modification tips, took my l85a2 to a skirmish and it is performing really well, even without the 509mm tight bore I'm planning to buy :D

The galil is an awesome gun both in its looks and feeling of the gun, but I chose the L85 because its performance out dose the galil, it has a longer barrel, it is slightly lighter and mags are easy to get (standard M4 mags) unlike the galil where mags that fit are scares and expensive.... Sooooo I chose the L85 which to add , is a British rifle :D

• Supporters

Hk designed all the changes from the a1 to the a2, BAE will of just got in the way trying to get them to make the flash hider out of cheese or something

expensive cheese. camembert or something that costs the MoD £8,000 a kilo.

• Supporters

It's a wonder the military rations aren't made at The Ritz at £150 a pop, considering how much the MoD love to spend loads on what is essentially no better than someone living on the street could make in half an hour, for 50p and a bag of chips.

But yeah, whether the L85 upgrades were done by British hands or not, they basically just ripped the guts out of a H&K 416 and chopped them up to fit into an L85, so the design is wholly German.

It gave us the most reliable bullpup service rifle in the world though ('cos there are soooooo many bullpup service rifles...), so who's going to fuss over it?

It is in essence just a bullpup 416 with different fire controls, I think I read that in testing, the only thing more reliable than it was an actual 416. Tested against the US standard M4/M16, the SCAR and obviously the 416. Results were 416 top, L85, SCAR and then the M4.

So it's pretty good.

Wrong way round Ed, the 416 was H&K ripping the guts from an L85 and G36 and putting them into an M4-chassis.
In turn, the system from those came from Armalite/Sterling in the mid 1960s.

BAE / H&K's rebuild of the L85 - wasn't a rebuild. It's literally the same parts as the A1. Only the parts are made to better tolerances. H&K did not redesign anything. You open it up, and the internals will look exactly the same as the parts from Sterling's AR-180 - which is what Enfield based the SA80's gas parts on. Only now, the parts have H&K stamped on them. (And are painted a dull red when they leave the factory)

The only change, was what the parts (bolt, cocking handle, recoil/buffer springs, hammer, firing pin, extractor-assembly) were made from, and how they were made. When the SA80 was originally built, it was made by RSAF-Enfield staff who were (due to the impending privatisation and selling of RSAF) about to be made redundant and did not do their usual good job. Corners were cut, money was saved at the expense of doing a good job.

H&K were used because in 2001, they were (and still are) the only firearms manufacturer left in the UK, with operational factories. Had Sterling not gone bankrupt in the mid 1990s, they would have done the same job. Hell, had BAE not closed the RSAF after they bought it, they'd have probably done the job anyway.

• Supporters

H&K were used because in 2001, they were (and still are) the only firearms manufacturer left in the UK, with operational factories.

Are accuracy international not based in the UK anymore? I thought they were based in Portsmouth?

Archived