what to buy?

Ash
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hey guys im thinking about getting an L85 (SA80) can you recomend what make to buy??

thanks

• Supporters

had experience of two. they have both f***** completely.

huberts was f***** completely, now is working (more or less)

a marshall at the local site has one.

it fires only on full auto. Permanently. Pull the trigger, will fire full auto, even if the trigger is released.... it just keeps going until the mag is taken out.

hmm thanks for the advice guys i mite just leave it for a bit and get sum stuff for my SRC M4 instead dunoo thoo.

Right, L85s.

The buys and not to buys.

Army Armaments - do not buy, unless you're prepared to spend another 5/8th of the price (so far) on repairs, services and spares.

I've had mine for just over a year (no joke, it arrived last year, on yesterday :lol: )

Since then, I've had to get everything repaired. Its gotten to the point where the guys who do it (for a fee) have said to just not bother anymore.

Luckily for you - AA is no-longer avaliable on the market.

GG - the replica AA copied. So - it has all of the faults the AA has - but at a much higher price tag. IF you're willing (and have the cash) you could fix everything. But - price, time and skill. But - in comparison to ARES and ICS, it has a nice, affordable price tag. And, when they get sorted out (remove blowback) they are good to use.

STAR/ARES - these are for the person who loves L85s - someone who wants something that is so close to the real steel, you could convince a veteran that it was real. The real SUSATs and DD -ris handguards fit it.

Newer ARES have a metal gear box. This is good. Also, they are possibly the easiest to buy spares for. Avaliable in three flavours - L85 IW, L22 AFV (baby carbine) and L86 LSW.

Problems? Price tag mainly. Might not be such as problem for you. But, price is putting me off. Complexity. You need a double PhD in electro-mechanical engineering to take one apart/rebuild it. Wires everywhere. So many screws and pins...

But - they are good. I've only ever used one briefly - and boy was it good.

ICS - nice price tag (ish). Do the IW and the LSW. All of this is stuff I've been told/read. Never used one. But I intend to get one in the future.

Reliable, very easy to take apart and maintain. This is functionality over looks - the handguard is based on the new A2 (second generation A2) handguard so is bigger - but ICS made it even larger so that battery problems are solved. Has a RiS rail and the standard dovetail (so you can mount SUSAT or any optic you want)

Problems - spares. Not many at the moment, so should you need a fix, it could be a pricey 'return to sender' job.

There was an L85A2 being made by Army Code or Classic Army. Ive seen the promo video on youtube - but I've never actually heard of anyone who owns one, letalone uses one.

So - price wise - ICS are on the high side (compared to SRC) but, cheap in comparison to ARES. I've been told that at the moment, ICS is the best. G&G and ARES are split - G&G is easy to take apart, but has huge flaws. ARES is difficult to look after - but doesn't have crippling features like 'blowback'.

I think that covers it.

Happy hunting.

Right, L85s.

The buys and not to buys.

Army Armaments - do not buy, unless you're prepared to spend another 5/8th of the price (so far) on repairs, services and spares.

I've had mine for just over a year (no joke, it arrived last year, on yesterday :lol: )

Since then, I've had to get everything repaired. Its gotten to the point where the guys who do it (for a fee) have said to just not bother anymore.

Luckily for you - AA is no-longer avaliable on the market.

GG - the replica AA copied. So - it has all of the faults the AA has - but at a much higher price tag. IF you're willing (and have the cash) you could fix everything. But - price, time and skill. But - in comparison to ARES and ICS, it has a nice, affordable price tag. And, when they get sorted out (remove blowback) they are good to use.

STAR/ARES - these are for the person who loves L85s - someone who wants something that is so close to the real steel, you could convince a veteran that it was real. The real SUSATs and DD -ris handguards fit it.

Newer ARES have a metal gear box. This is good. Also, they are possibly the easiest to buy spares for. Avaliable in three flavours - L85 IW, L22 AFV (baby carbine) and L86 LSW.

Problems? Price tag mainly. Might not be such as problem for you. But, price is putting me off. Complexity. You need a double PhD in electro-mechanical engineering to take one apart/rebuild it. Wires everywhere. So many screws and pins...

But - they are good. I've only ever used one briefly - and boy was it good.

ICS - nice price tag (ish). Do the IW and the LSW. All of this is stuff I've been told/read. Never used one. But I intend to get one in the future.

Reliable, very easy to take apart and maintain. This is functionality over looks - the handguard is based on the new A2 (second generation A2) handguard so is bigger - but ICS made it even larger so that battery problems are solved. Has a RiS rail and the standard dovetail (so you can mount SUSAT or any optic you want)

Problems - spares. Not many at the moment, so should you need a fix, it could be a pricey 'return to sender' job.

There was an L85A2 being made by Army Code or Classic Army. Ive seen the promo video on youtube - but I've never actually heard of anyone who owns one, letalone uses one.

So - price wise - ICS are on the high side (compared to SRC) but, cheap in comparison to ARES. I've been told that at the moment, ICS is the best. G&G and ARES are split - G&G is easy to take apart, but has huge flaws. ARES is difficult to look after - but doesn't have crippling features like 'blowback'.

I think that covers it.

Happy hunting.

wow thats sum awsome advice rite there thanks soo much, i reckon if im gonna get one it will be the ICS since ive head lots of great things about it, once again thanks this realy helps and it sounds as if you know ur stuff :)

wow thats sum awsome advice rite there thanks soo much, i reckon if im gonna get one it will be the ICS since ive head lots of great things about it, once again thanks this realy helps and it sounds as if you know ur stuff :)

No problem. It comes from many hours spent wondering why I bought the AA/G&G whilst using a rental or mates gun :lol: (Not to self - CA G36's are nice and reliable, if slightly cheaper alternatives...)

In all fairness, should you do the modifications and replacments as soon as you get either I've been told that they can be very good guns (remove blowback, change piston, modify/replace selector gear, change electronics and a few other things). Its just I didn't know of this when I bought mine, so mine didn't last long before parts started breaking. Or falling off. Or bursting into flames.

ICS. Yes, they are in the £300 - but only if you buy from a UK retailer.

Last time I checked (a few weeks ago) an ICS L85A2 IW, if imported from a foriegn shop (or direct from ICS) would cost around about (give or take about £10) £260. Import duty varies, but I've been told its around about £8.50 to £20

However, this is providing you are UKARA'd, or are importing through a second party who will/can two-tone it for you (but at £300....would you really do that? :lol: ).

(If you are UKARA'd and import it - make sure the exporter marks it as an IMITATION FIREARM and not TOY. I've read of people who's nice and shiny new toys have been taken away by over zealous customs officials.

So, if you have your heart set on an L85, that is easy to look after, use and doesn't need a degree from NASA or REME to use and maintain, ICS is the way to go.

All I'll say is - L85s, are rather like the real thing - very pricy and few in number, when compared to the Kalshnikov or Armalite....

*By coincidence, there appears to be a similar thread like this on Arnies. That one is based on the L86 LSW, but it seems to cover the same stuff here, but in more detail (and by people who own numerous L85s, of all manufacturers)

No problem. It comes from many hours spent wondering why I bought the AA/G&G whilst using a rental or mates gun :lol: (Not to self - CA G36's are nice and reliable, if slightly cheaper alternatives...)

In all fairness, should you do the modifications and replacments as soon as you get either I've been told that they can be very good guns (remove blowback, change piston, modify/replace selector gear, change electronics and a few other things). Its just I didn't know of this when I bought mine, so mine didn't last long before parts started breaking. Or falling off. Or bursting into flames.

ICS. Yes, they are in the £300 - but only if you buy from a UK retailer.

Last time I checked (a few weeks ago) an ICS L85A2 IW, if imported from a foriegn shop (or direct from ICS) would cost around about (give or take about £10) £260. Import duty varies, but I've been told its around about £8.50 to £20

However, this is providing you are UKARA'd, or are importing through a second party who will/can two-tone it for you (but at £300....would you really do that? :lol: ).

(If you are UKARA'd and import it - make sure the exporter marks it as an IMITATION FIREARM and not TOY. I've read of people who's nice and shiny new toys have been taken away by over zealous customs officials.

So, if you have your heart set on an L85, that is easy to look after, use and doesn't need a degree from NASA or REME to use and maintain, ICS is the way to go.

All I'll say is - L85s, are rather like the real thing - very pricy and few in number, when compared to the Kalshnikov or Armalite....

*By coincidence, there appears to be a similar thread like this on Arnies. That one is based on the L86 LSW, but it seems to cover the same stuff here, but in more detail (and by people who own numerous L85s, of all manufacturers)

hey thanks for the advice i think i will get an ics if i decide to get a l85, my plan is to get ukara registred and import 1 from sumwhere(if i can get the cash :/)

Just be carfull where you import from

where would u advise to go for and to avoid?

where would u advise to go for and to avoid?

Well, to make sure you have no problems getting it through customs, get your skirmish site as a reference (as sometimes, simply giving your UKARA details isn't always the quicest)

But - ask your site (manager?) first. They aren't very happy when suddenly HM Customs ask if you are a genuine skirmisher, and then they have to spend hours trauling through their records.

Ok, well one way to do it is import it yourself from a seller/the manufacturer yourself. Places like RedWolf are (i'm told, I've yet to do this) are good and viable. (See above for getting through borders)

Another, is see if your site would import it for you. One of the guys at F&O (Heywood atleast) said they'd happily do that for me. (With a minor fee)

Or, if you have a local skirmishing supplies store, they might do it (again, ask before hand if they do imports, and again how much it would cost) Not all do this, so don't go in expecting them to do so.

Avoid - in the retailers sub-forum on here, there are one or two people who have been 'black listed' so to speak.

Well, to make sure you have no problems getting it through customs, get your skirmish site as a reference (as sometimes, simply giving your UKARA details isn't always the quicest)

But - ask your site (manager?) first. They aren't very happy when suddenly HM Customs ask if you are a genuine skirmisher, and then they have to spend hours trauling through their records.

Ok, well one way to do it is import it yourself from a seller/the manufacturer yourself. Places like RedWolf are (i'm told, I've yet to do this) are good and viable. (See above for getting through borders)

Another, is see if your site would import it for you. One of the guys at F&O (Heywood atleast) said they'd happily do that for me. (With a minor fee)

Or, if you have a local skirmishing supplies store, they might do it (again, ask before hand if they do imports, and again how much it would cost) Not all do this, so don't go in expecting them to do so.

Avoid - in the retailers sub-forum on here, there are one or two people who have been 'black listed' so to speak.

oooh ok thanks alot.

This may be of merit to mention -

ARES have officially announced that they will be releasing a new L85A2. This has a new metal gear box (better than the current metal one) and a few other things.

Also, it has the L85A2, MKII handguard (ala ICS) (bigger, different shape-ish. NOT the MK III/IV RIS guard made by DD)

I haven't heard if this new gearbox is easier to look after (less wires and screws) or is just a stronger version of the current one - but ARES seem pretty impressed by it.

*L85A2, MKII - the second batch of A2s - these were made brand new by BAE/HK in 2006(I think). The first A2s were the orrigional 'A1's refitted into the A2 (and only had the internals, mag release guard and new charging handle.)

This may be of merit to mention -

ARES have officially announced that they will be releasing a new L85A2. This has a new metal gear box (better than the current metal one) and a few other things.

Also, it has the L85A2, MKII handguard (ala ICS) (bigger, different shape-ish. NOT the MK III/IV RIS guard made by DD)

I haven't heard if this new gearbox is easier to look after (less wires and screws) or is just a stronger version of the current one - but ARES seem pretty impressed by it.

*L85A2, MKII - the second batch of A2s - these were made brand new by BAE/HK in 2006(I think). The first A2s were the orrigional 'A1's refitted into the A2 (and only had the internals, mag release guard and new charging handle.)

ohh thats interesting i wonder how good the new a2 from ares will be

As this is brand new, I'm not sure.

I don't think anyone (aside from ARES's staff testers) have used it yet. (And as such, ARES will probably be singing high praises for their product :lol: )

I'd wait a while to see if anyone buys it, and if there are any problems.

The problem with ARES (atm) is the gear box. To get to it, one has to remove an almost endless amounts of screws and bolts, and push aside several miles of cables.

But - this is because ARES are the old STAR airsoft guns - and STAR were the first (or among the first)to ever make AEG L85s. This means that ICS have been able to make their SA80s own based on the problems 'experiances' found with STAR/ARES and G&G L85s.

So - as I've said, ICS is probably the better at the moment. But, if you wait a while, you might see if ARES have completely re-designed their gear boxes, or simply slapped a stronger box in.

As this is brand new, I'm not sure.

I don't think anyone (aside from ARES's staff testers) have used it yet. (And as such, ARES will probably be singing high praises for their product :lol: )

I'd wait a while to see if anyone buys it, and if there are any problems.

The problem with ARES (atm) is the gear box. To get to it, one has to remove an almost endless amounts of screws and bolts, and push aside several miles of cables.

But - this is because ARES are the old STAR airsoft guns - and STAR were the first (or among the first)to ever make AEG L85s. This means that ICS have been able to make their SA80s own based on the problems 'experiances' found with STAR/ARES and G&G L85s.

So - as I've said, ICS is probably the better at the moment. But, if you wait a while, you might see if ARES have completely re-designed their gear boxes, or simply slapped a stronger box in.

yeh im gonna wait anyway thanks, i need money and a ukara fist :)

Archived