To prove a point to a moronic mate: Are AKs ergonomic?

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Are AKs ergonomic?   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Are AKs ergonomic?

• Yes
    • No

No rifle is completely ergonomic- even the SA80 series leaves nasty blisters on the web between your right hand's thumb and fingers after prolonged use (hence why I'm wearing fingerless gloves at battle camp this year).

I haven't experienced operating and handling an AK for 48 consecutive hours yet, but I can see it being easier not having to use my left thumb and my trigger finger to engage/disengage the safety catch EVERY TIME I DO A DRILL.

At 1 in the morning on a stand to, even someone who's used the weapons system that's been in his hands for the past 12 hours may forget.

AKs simplify that; up is safe, down is not. 'Up' couldbe linked with Heaven; 'down' with Hell. One's safe, the other isn't, right?

Although with the mag catch dilemma, I think that modern MP5s solve that. You get the option of using the ET-friendly release button to simply dump the mag, or if you want to keep it to hand you use the tab. I personally use the tab, you can get a hold on the magazine and release it in 1 fluid motion. There's no hooking involved, it's just a straight pull.

I'm surprised Izhmash or Tula Industries (true manufacturers of the mighty AK) didn't incoporate this feature into the 74 model.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an airsoft AK my self and i find it comfortable enough to pass and easy to switch between modes with a big selector switch. I find changing mags with them is easier than an M4, although the AK mags are a bit more chunky... but that can be solved by buying half sized AK mags.

I find an AK easier to fix than an M4 partly because you don't need to split anything apart unlike the M4 where you have to take off the top receiver to clean it.

It's not too big or too small, so i'd say yes it's ergonomic enough to pass.

Nothing is an ergonomic as reloading a M249!

Archived