To prove a point to a moronic mate: Are AKs ergonomic?

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Are AKs ergonomic?   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Are AKs ergonomic?

• Yes
    • No

• Supporters

I think you must just have abnormally large hands, Ian. I can't imagine coming anything close to being able to drop the mag on an AK with any finger on my right hand, not with any remote degree of ease or comfort anyway. I wouldn't have considered my hands to be particularly small either. I'm a large glove size.

Always wanted an AK just so I could do the awesome AEK reload from BF3. (tried doing it once at bisley, got told off, apparently they dont like people pissing about with real firearms.)

Lmao!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you must just have abnormally large hands, Ian. I can't imagine coming anything close to being able to drop the mag on an AK with any finger on my right hand, not with any remote degree of ease or comfort anyway. I wouldn't have considered my hands to be particularly small either. I'm a large glove size.

I can do it too, as well as the G36 and my hand size is no bigger than a medium size glove.

• Supporters

Glove size 9 - 9.5, but yeah my fingers are longer in comparison to my palms than most people's, I think.

AK-12 looks lovely - but I'll bet a ball that that thumb switch doesn't suit me as well as the old fire selector lol!

• Supporters

If I'm honest it would never have even occurred to me to try it. So maybe I can reach, I haven't handled an AK in a while, but in my head I can't picture it being easy.

I think it's fair to say that the way the catches are shaped and the position of them implies that wasn't the way they were intended to be used. So innovative as doing it that way may be, I have to say that, as with most things, it isn't very ergonomic.

On MP5s there is actually an M4 style mag release in addition to the AK style clip forward of the trigger guard, to help argue my point. You'd have thought H&K would've simply changed the shape of the catch to make it easier to reach instead of adding the M4 mag release as well. That goes for the G36 as well. Couldn't they just attach more material to the catch so that it brought it closer, or around the forward section of the trigger guard? I think that would actually be a pretty cool AK mod... I wonder if extended mag release clips can be bought.

If On MP5s there is actually an M4 style mag

release in addition to the AK style clip forward of the trigger guard,

to help argue my point. You'd have thought H&K would've simply

changed the shape of the catch to make it easier to reach instead of

adding the M4 mag release as well. That goes for the G36 as well.

Couldn't they just attach more material to the catch so that it brought

it closer, or around the forward section of the trigger guard? I think

that would actually be a pretty cool AK mod... I wonder if extended mag

release clips can be bought.

Thats what they have on the AK-12. Its a nice touch. I look forward to it, The m4 mag catch allows for on target reload, while the under lever catch allows for the spetznaz reload style still. both which are good and effective, so it caters for many types of trained personel, which i think is good for ergonomics.

I'm a large glove size.

that_makes_me_moist.jpg

• Supporters

Good for ergonomics, agreed.

But WHY? *Shudders violently*

they are Russian, why the hell not.

• Supporters

Not that, the picture lol.

• Supporters

My SRC G36KV does have some extra plastic attached to the mag lever so it curves under and around both sides of the forward part of the trigger guard.

I may be mistaken but I think I did spot an upgrade AK trigger guard with an upside down 'T' shaped mag release lever, but I'm fcuked if I can remember where - possibly LCT, but my memory is sh!t...

Still, that something can be successfully operated in more ways than the immediately obvious sounds like better ergonomics than 'the designer's way or fcuk off'!

Oh yeah, and H&K adding an M4 type mag release to MP5's just goes to show that they are supplying a lot more of them to people who were trained on the M4...

• Supporters

Oh yeah, and H&K adding an M4 type mag release to MP5's just goes to show that they are supplying a lot more of them to people who were trained on the M4...

You'd have thought so, but the way they've positioned it makes it impossible to press unless you're approaching it as a left handed user and just happen to prefer pressing it to using the traditional, AK style clip.

I didn't even realise it was there for absolutely ages. Even this guys fingers wouldn't be long enough to reach it:

http://static.flickr.com/6/68580182_3b160a5a93.jpg

• Supporters

I reckon E.T. could.

I've tried using it before, but its definitely only useful for the support hand if you're holding the magwell. With your trigger hand, I can just about reach it but as its so far away , I can't apply enough force to depress it easily.

How is an AR-15 different enough from an M4 for you to prefer one significantly over the other? The AR-15 in semi auto only, the M4 has full auto, or burst, and semi auto... What's the difference aside from that?

Generally speaking now days AR15 refers to the semi version and M4 to semi/auto. Althou I think of AR15 as the classic bushmaster survival rifle.

AR-15 is the factory designation. All the rifles that are made based on the design are still of the AR-15 platform (So An an M4M16 are still in fact AR15s)

So what fire it is capable of is purely dependent on the manufacture who makes their own rifle based of the AR15 design.

AR15 is just a template.

• Supporters

So...

I've run out of desks.

And palms.

Is 'head walling' a thing?

So...

I've run out of desks.

And palms.

Is 'head walling' a thing?

yes, you leave an imprint, you win (concrete only)

• Supporters

If I don't comment on this thread again, it's because I won.

• Supporters

Ed, if this thread shows anything, it shows that you should get an AK and persist with it until you learn the tricks of how to hold it, how to aim over iron sights with both eyes open, and how to use its controls smooth and slick, and how to do the trigger finger and off hand catch + allow mag to swivel upside down for quick drop into dump pouch method of mag change...

You see, with the ak as well, if you are injured and are only able to use one hand, the reloading is also easier than that of an m4 due to the latch mag release.

I'll just leave this here :D

• Supporters

That's pretty cool lol

Ed, if this thread shows anything, it shows that you should get an AK and persist with it until you learn the tricks of how to hold it, how to aim over iron sights with both eyes open, and how to use its controls smooth and slick, and how to do the trigger finger and off hand catch + allow mag to swivel upside down for quick drop into dump pouch method of mag change...

I probably am going to get an AK, I've been looking at getting this for a CQB loadout for quite a while: http://en.ratech.com.tw/img/ra-agent/ra-agent-gas/we/ra_agent_g_we_058.jpg

I just found out you can delete your vote...
I changed it to yes just for you Ed :D

You're a dick, Marcus lol.

I put no... I just hate AKs haha. I find them annoying to use and plain uncomfortable! In real world terms they are reliable and powerful, and famously not very accurate. The bolt catch I don't mind, the safety lever is a pain in the ass for me and the curved magazine just seems stupid to me (the only thing I dislike about my MP5). I can reload an AK fine in a similar time to anything else but that curve makes it a pain in the ass to put in a pouch sometimes.

But i have only used rental AKs. Anyways I'M WITH YOU ED! :P

• Supporters

HURRAY!

• Supporters

Yeah, that is a pretty AK Ed, even though it has been besmirched with a yank style stock! Love the mag well flanges - LCT do perforated ones as an add on. I plan to put some on Phatima!

Archived