To prove a point to a moronic mate: Are AKs ergonomic?

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Are AKs ergonomic?   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Are AKs ergonomic?

• Yes
    • No

• Supporters

Pretty simple question, do you think AK platform rifles have good ergonomics?

Ergonomics with regard to weapons refers to the ease of using the weapons controls, most generally changing mags, racking bolts, changing the fire mode and turning the safety on and off in as few moves and as quickly as possible.

It can also go as far to include being ergonomic to both right and left handed shooters.

In a nutshell, are AKs "user friendly"?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It ticks the boxes of all the requirements, mag changes are simple and you can't exactly miss that big ol' safety/fire selector switch.

And they are definately user friendly, I mean they give them to eight year olds in Africa

Given you are right handed of course

• Supporters

It's a 50/50 with an AK. I find it ergonomic even though the bolt and the fire selector are on the right hand side of the gun. So for a lefty, that's great, but I'm a righty and those two things don't bother me at all.

• Supporters

I find that if you compare them to the most standard of standard guns, the M4, the safety is harder to use, it requires you to take your forward hand off the gun, or your finger off the trigger to operate it.

Mag changes are extended by having to hook the mag in, it's also harder to do if you have any underbarrel attachments mounted to the front, because they obstruct the curve of the mag as you lever it in, you also have to use your forward hand to remove the mag, whereas on AR platform rifles you need only use your trigger finger, and mags simply drop in and out under their own weight.

Lastly, the bolt doesn't have a lock feature, meaning you have to reach over the weapon to charge the bolt, which takes longer than simply pushing the bolt lock switch. With ARs no rocking or racking is required.

Basically, ergonomics come down to how fast you can manipulate the weapon and if you timed the same guy reloading an M4 and going through all the drills, they'd be demonstrably quicker with an AR, than an AK, no? That's basically what you're voting on.

I find that if you compare them to the most standard of standard guns, the M4, the safety is harder to use, it requires you to take your forward hand off the gun, or your finger off the trigger to operate it.

Mag changes are extended by having to hook the mag in, it's also harder to do if you have any underbarrel attachments mounted to the front, because they obstruct the curve of the mag as you lever it in, you also have to use your forward hand to remove the mag, whereas on AR platform rifles you need only use your trigger finger, and mags simply drop in and out under their own weight.

Lastly, the bolt doesn't have a lock feature, meaning you have to reach over the weapon to charge the bolt, which takes longer than simply pushing the bolt lock switch. With ARs no rocking or racking is required.

Basically, ergonomics come down to how fast you can manipulate the weapon and if you timed the same guy reloading an M4 and going through all the drills, they'd be demonstrably quicker with an AR, than an AK, no? That's basically what you're voting on.

Well maybe the mag changes are a bit slower, but it depends on what you are used to. I could change an ak mag alot quicker than a stanag type one without looking.

And as for the safety, you are just flicking your index finger up, why would you need your finger on the trigger if you are engaging the safety and disengaging it your finger is on the way down anyway.

In terms of airsoft the difference is negligable, however in the real steel world AR's are superior.

And if you have an AK you don't need semi auto :P

• Supporters

Sigh, this is going totally wrong. <_<

Well maybe the mag changes are a bit slower, but it depends on what you are used to. I could change an ak mag alot quicker than a stanag type one without looking.

And as for the safety, you are just flicking your index finger up, why would you need your finger on the trigger if you are engaging the safety and disengaging it your finger is on the way down anyway.

In terms of airsoft the difference is negligable, however in the real steel world AR's are superior.

And if you have an AK you don't need semi auto :P

Minus the AR part this is exactly what i am being called a 'moronic mate' for

• Supporters

Oh come on! AKs just aren't ergonomic, the controls can't be reached without altering your grip on the weapon and the reloads take longer to do, it's not even an opinion it's a raw fact!

Give me strength! D=

Oh come on! AKs just aren't ergonomic, the controls can't be reached without altering your grip on the weapon and the reloads take longer to do, it's not even an opinion it's a raw fact!

Give me strength! D=

To move the selector on an M4 switch I have to twist my wrist slightly back therefore altering my grip. There really isn't that much difference between them.

Ak's are ergonomic.

Just you all are used to using AR's, and thus using AR practice and expecting it to work on an AK.

You can go from safe to semi just slapping the lever down with your RIGHT hand (you're expecting to use your right thumb like an AR aren't you)

Charging handle is easy to do, similar but easier to a L85, but rather than a AR where you also have to pull the release tab, and is awkwardly across your body.

Sights and grip angles are just so point and shoot, African kids can use em.

Remember this gun was made in 1949. It is an old design. But USA was fielding the M1 and M2 carbines at this time, and for another 10 or so years.

Of course AR's will be MORE ergonomic, but the AK is very usable.

• Supporters

Give me strength! D=

345.jpg

• Supporters

I'm not saying it can't be made to work, it can and for all it's shortfalls, the AK makes up for them in reliability.

We're not arguing which is better. I have an equal love for both, except I prefer the AK's gearbox in airsoft...

BUT! The AR is faster to manipulate because it has better ergonomics, it's just a fact, there's no denying that it's faster to reload an M4, faster to take safe off an M4. Faster to just generally use an M4.

Not that it comes into it, but it's even faster to acquire a target and continuously fire on it with an M4 because the round puts out less recoil and apature sights are easier to use than AK ones. The distance between them is also further to increase accuracy.

Speed and ergonomics. The AK ought to be losing this poll, unless there's some sort of major failure in the wording of the question.

easy to use, yes... ergonomic, no.

Explain when: easy to use = good ergonomics...

Yes an M4 is better by most peoples standards Ed, but that doesn't mean the AK is bad.

• Supporters

I'm not saying it is bad! I'm saying it's slower to use than an M4 because the controls are all in silly places.

Easy to use does not equal good ergonomics. The Vector is easy to use as well, but that has utterly terrible ergonomics.

And thank god Nick, someone who gets it.

• Supporters

I find I can operate the fire selector of an AK with my trigger finger easier than I can that on an AR with my thumb. It's the wrist twist/bend thing - it's easier to bend my wrist inwards than out and up.

I think fast mag mag changes are excellent, but I don't believe that using a hand to open a pouch, remove a mag, and click it into place is faster on either platform. If you add saving the empty mag then I think experience really comes into it, because you can use your trigger finger to operate an AK mag release just as your off hand reaches the mag, which is a lot faster than doing it with your off hand thumb and grabbing the empty mag by its front and back at the top - it's also easier to put an AK mag into a dump pouch when you're holding it by an end than sideways. I'm not sure if there's anything similar you can do with an AR mag change.

I prefer the position of the sights on AK's - I can line up over them without closing my left eye. I can't do that on an AR... or my G36.

I do think that crane stocks are a big ergonomic boost, but I just don't like the yankie look of 'em!

Easy to use does not equal good ergonomics. The Vector is easy to use as well, but that has utterly terrible ergonomics.

But ergonomics is the study of how humans interact with objects.

If its easy to use, how is it not ergonomic?

• Supporters

Here's a funny thing though, Ed. Would you say that the ergonomics are better on an M4 or the more modern G36?

• Supporters

I'd say they were better on the G36, because the charging handle is placed further forward making it easier to access, it's also operable from either side with equal ease and the bolt release is located inside the trigger guard, meaning the bolt can be released with the trigger finger, meaning you don't have to use your second hand to manipulate the bolt during a reload after a full mag dump.

If it had the same mag release as an M4 it'd be perfect.

Really the initial question ought to have specified the relation with the M4. Because the M4 does have better ergonomics than the AK simply has ergonomics at all.

• Supporters

But ergonomics is the study of how humans interact with objects.

If its easy to use, how is it not ergonomic?

Because ease of use can be gaged in relation to other things in this context, because there are better tools available to carry out the job of an AK, which to simplify things, is to fire bullets.

M4s are easier to use than AKs, less movements are required to operate them, and operation of them can be done faster as a result.

But the question was "are AK's ergonomic".

If it were "are AK's more ergonomic than...." it would make more sense.

Everything is relevant. An AK is far superior to something from 1900

I'm probably taking it far too seriously compared to what you had in mind when you asked the question though.

It's what you get when you have an engineer on hand though :P

I mean, if you asked me to "run down to the corner shop and pick up a pint of milk; and if there are eggs, pick up 2 dozen". Chances are i'd come back with 24 pints of milk :P

Archived