Ares - I just don't get it

Dan_W
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I was just wondering what you guys thought about this company.

It may be just the vocal few that have expressed bad opinions of them but I have heard nothing but bad things about them, and for a high-ish price range I don't understand this huge price tag.

Has anyone any experience with them and what are there good points and bad points?

I'm not looking to buy one, it's just one of these questions that popped into my head.

I like to picture them as a more expensive classic army (if i may): all their external parts are great, they look good, most guns are 1:1 scale. but. the internals on them aren't the greatest, most a&k guns which are at a much more reasonable price have better internals and in my head they are just an expensive and more innovative Classic Army

• Supporters

As above, the externals are just about as close to real life as you're going to get, especially on their L85. But the internals are badly designed when they're proprietary and made out of sub par components from shoddy metals the rest of the time.

They do however, have rather good customer support from what I've heard. But yes, for the reliability of the products, the price is far too high. The premium you pay is entirely for the quality and attention to detail of the externals.

• Supporters

I've had a G36 and SVD by ARES, both solid.

From my experience, they're pretty damned good at the tried and tested guns they do, so for example, M4s, G36s etc, but I'd stay away from their new and more "out there" guns like the Tavor.

• Supporters

Some have a good experience, a lot have bad. They just produce way too many lemons for guns in their price bracket. If you're looking to buy one, let us know what gun it is and the chances there'll be a much better alternative, unless its a tar.

Finius, both your guns are more recent than their tar 21 ;)

I have the Ares L85, with a few minor upgrades it shoots pretty awesome, but its a bastard to take down and nowhere near as sturds as the ICS

My Umarex (S&T/ARES) is awesome, although caught fire twice due to bad wiring.

Re-wired and all is good.

Their new guns with the new ecu system are great

• Supporters

My Ares L1A1 is so nice... when it's working, which isn't often. Like George's L85, it's a bastard to take down too. It's advertised as breaking down the same as the real steel, but in actual fact there's a tiny body pin which you'd never notice if you weren't specifically looking for it which must be removed first and, when you do then crack the gun "in the same way as the RS", you can't actually get to anything with it just like that anyway...

I don't even know what's currently wrong with it because I hate taking it down so much that I haven't bothered my arse to even look...

I've only heard bad things about them. I knew someone who had an Ares Tavor - it looked nice 'n shiny, but it wasn't much better than an expensive paperweight. Nice externals but shoddy internals seems to be the main thing people have told me about them. That said, I've never owned one myself, so I wouldn't know first hand. Personally, I'd stay away from them.

I wonder how long it will be till Ed returns to this thread?

Yea we are waiting Ed...

I think he's still silently weeping whilst cradling his .338, and thinking about shattered dreams

• Supporters

Bit cruel, George. Still :D

Is your sex-on-a-stick .338 cack then Ed?

• Supporters

Ares...?

Oh yeah, they're great!

Said no one ever...

• Supporters

Bit cruel, George. Still :D

Is your sex-on-a-stick .338 cack then Ed?

Actually, it's cack, on more cack, made of the cack that cacked cack made from cack, which ate cack made of cack, to produce the cackiest cack there ever was.

Which then mated with another one of the above uber cacks to have a cack baby, which was the cackiest thing in the known universe.

Well, times that by infinity, and you're about an infinity-th of the way there.

• Supporters

Or, in short;

It's made by Ares.

• Supporters

Also,

(just because less than quadruple posting is for sissies)

you have no idea how much I wanted to write cake, almost every time I said cack in the above post. Typing 'cack' feels so weird and unnatural for some reason.

• Supporters

Actually I know what you mean. I picked the word up from a french girl i used to know, but in french it's spelled "cac"

So is your .338 beyond redemption, or can you strip the internals and start fresh?

Archived