My understanding of UKARA has been questioned...... set me right

NickM
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Ok so on a facebook forum for the site I play I offered a Glock for sale and stated I didn't want to two tone it. Forgot to mention about UKARA. A guy on the site started asking questions and showed interest so I asked if he was over 18 and if he had UKARA. He said his dad qualified for both.

I took that to mean his dad would be doing the deal and continued to discuss the gun, no mention of a price or agreement to sell to him. People kicked off about me selling to an under 18 with no UKARA.

As far as I was concerned the kid could ask and talk about anything as long as the deal was done (cash/gun exchange) with the dad after the usual check of the dads defence.

I had thought that was ok but ..... could someone please clarify.

Second question though and this is hypothetical as the deal isn't going ahead now, if I suspected the kid was going to give the money to his dad to buy the gun on his behalf would I be in trouble or would it be the dad? I figure my sale is legal but the dad would be selling to his son?!?!?

I'm guessing I'm opening the flood gates but I would like to make sure, as doing a dodgy deal could lose me my job as the least of my worries.

• Supporters

I think you're right in your assumption. Selling to the dad with the kid negotiating the sale would be fine. The Dad's entitled to the gun, what he does with it isn't your concern.

End of. Simples.

The people hassling you are probably just arse holes trying to make a fuss over nothing. "Gifting" RIFs is just about the most sketchy legal term I have ever heard, how can anyone prove whether or not there was some sort of trade of goods or services? There are so many hoops to jump through to avoid the issue that it barely matters. UKARA is a bag of wank anyway.

That said, I'll stand by it as long as it's part of the law, but I don't think you'd have done anything wrong selling to the kid's dad.

• Supporters

Cheers Ed, those are were pretty much my thoughts on the matter.

And yeah I know UKARA is turd as systems go but its the best I have at my disposal ATM.

Nick, firstly I agree, you are perfectly within the legislation to sell your RIF to the father, as long as he can prove he has a defence. What he does afterwards is up to him,

Remember that UKARA is absolutely not the only way to prove a defence.

If the person plays at a site, it is the work of moments to ring the site and ask whether they are a member, or play regularly. The site owner/manager whoever should be more than pleased to answer your questions, as they need people to buy RIF's so that they can keep on playing. It's all part of on big machine, and anyone who isn't willing to spend a few minutes establishing someone's defence, or refuses to accept any defence except UKARA, probably won't stay in business very long.

Please note, I'm absolutely NOT suggesting people should even consider selling if they do not have reasonable evidence that the buyer offers them a defence. That would be highly irresponsible. I'm just saying that people need to remember that there are many ways to prove the defence!

Archived