Does the hop adjustment affect fps?

damoaxcell
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As I've said in my previous posts I'm a noob to Airsoft. I have a SVL G36c and had it chrono'd at 328fps. But once I arrive on site for the first time, I'm assuming ill have to adjust my hop as I've never played before. Will this affect the fps and increase it? Or am I just worrying about nothing?

Thanks in advance..

Damo

The hop up doesn't really affect the FPS, it affects the flight path of the BB. So, if it is set up right and can be used to make the gun more accurate and give it a bit more range.

The hop up doesn't really affect the FPS, it affects the flight path of the BB. So, if it is set up right and can be used to make the gun more accurate and give it a bit more range.

Cheers dude. I didn't think it would affect the fps. Am I right in thinking that the only thing that can increase fps is spring, motor and piston?

Cheers dude. I didn't think it would affect the fps. Am I right in thinking that the only thing that can increase fps is spring, motor and piston?

BB weight can affect FPS and range

Motor increases your ROF (Rate Of Fire)

Spring & piston increases FPS

in actual fast hop up does decrease the FPS a bit but it does increase the range of the BB.

It is rather obvious because you can test it by shooting a gun with hop up set of full, then turn it all off and shoot then, you'll notice that when you turn it off, the BB pellet travels faster than when you turned it on max.

You can also test this by getting a coke can and shoot it with the hop up maxed out and turn off. You should also notice that when you turn it off, it will do more penetration than when the hop up was maxed.

Just remember, FPS doesn't determine how far the BB will go or how powerful it is, it's just there to say how fast it travels.

in actual fast hop up does decrease the FPS a bit but it does increase the range of the BB.

It is rather obvious because you can test it by shooting a gun with hop up set of full, then turn it all off and shoot then, you'll notice that when you turn it off, the BB pellet travels faster than when you turned it on max.

You can also test this by getting a coke can and shoot it with the hop up maxed out and turn off. You should also notice that when you turn it off, it will do more penetration than when the hop up was maxed.

Just remember, FPS doesn't determine how far the BB will go or how powerful it is, it's just there to say how fast it travels.

WRONG. Well, it may affect the FPS by a couple of digits, but it won't change anything tbh.

Any decent airsoft gun should be able to go straight through an aluminium can like a knife through butter.

It may appear to travel faster but if you use a chronograph, it should register the same FPS.

The hop is just a rubber piece which rubs the BB when it passes causing the bb to spin which affects the curvature of the BB. The only reason it can increase the range is because when the BB curves upwards it has more height before it falls to the ground.

Also, you just stated that FPS affects power then you say that it doesn't.

WRONG. Well, it may affect the FPS by a couple of digits, but it won't change anything tbh.

Any decent airsoft gun should be able to go straight through an aluminium can like a knife through butter.

It may appear to travel faster but if you use a chronograph, it should register the same FPS.

The hop is just a rubber piece which rubs the BB when it passes causing the bb to spin which affects the curvature of the BB. The only reason it can increase the range is because when the BB curves upwards it has more height before it falls to the ground.

Also, you just stated that FPS affects power then you say that it doesn't.

hmm, yes i may have contradicted myself there.... well, it just seems like it too me that it decreases alot. Well, i guess i don't have a chrono, so i wouldn't know

hmm, yes i may have contradicted myself there.... well, it just seems like it too me that it decreases alot. Well, i guess i don't have a chrono, so i wouldn't know

Do you go skirmishing? if so, next time you go, turn off your hop, then chrono, then turn it on, and chrono again. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't affect the FPS. Intrigued now, I will find out next week

Cheers for the replys dudes.. Where do you boys go skirmishing?

Viking Airsoft, Hertfordshire. Small site but very friendly.

• Supporters

Do you go skirmishing? if so, next time you go, turn off your hop, then chrono, then turn it on, and chrono again. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't affect the FPS. Intrigued now, I will find out next week

It depends on the gun. In many (most) instances, yes it will change the FPS. Normally just by a bit but the point still stands.

Also turning it all the way on it will reduce the velocity even more.

Anything blocking the bb's travel will slow it down. That's just common sense.

• 3 weeks later...

As I've said in my previous posts I'm a noob to Airsoft. I have a SVL G36c and had it chrono'd at 328fps. But once I arrive on site for the first time, I'm assuming ill have to adjust my hop as I've never played before. Will this affect the fps and increase it? Or am I just worrying about nothing?

Thanks in advance..

Damo

Usually it only has a minimal effect on the FPS as the hopup just gives the BB a spin .

• Supporters

The hop up IS just a piece of rubber which rubs the BB, yes. But this piece of rubber happens to be shoved into the barrel, blocking part of it. As you apply more hop, there is more of a blockage. Is that going to slow down or increase the speed of the projectile?

Hop WILL change the fps, sometimes by quite a significant margin, upto 10-20 fps depending on exact setup of the rifle and BB weight used. (tested regularly by myself and colleagues. Just in case physics changed overnight ;) )

fps will decrease when using a heavier ammo, but energy transferred to the target will be greater with heavier BBs, even if it had a faster fps readout with a lighter BB.

ALWAYS chrono on .2's or at the very least let the guy chronoing know what weight you have loaded (313fps on.25's is the same energy level as .2's at 350fps)

Can't help but start getting all factual up in here...

• Supporters

Since you have ample supply of stuff to test this theory, Dave, how do you reckon the barrel bore alters the fps deviation with different weight BBs?

You say 350 with .20s equates to around 315 with .25s, but if say, you put a 6.01mm barrel in the gun, I would've thought that the slower accelerating BB would be blocking more of the barrel, or rather, have less barrel to block, meaning less air can escape, meaning that the drop in fps wouldn't be quite so severe. Theoretically.

I'd be willing to bet that with a tightbore fitted, the usual drop of about 35-40fps when you switch to .25s would only be a drop of about 15-25. Perhaps even less than that. I'm sure when chrono'ing my L85 it's only shown a drop of about 20fps between .20s and .25s since I fitted a 6.01mm tbb.

Think it's worth bothering to test? Or just something obvious? 'Cos I do think that the physics of it all add up.

Reason it's interesting to me is that a few sites I've been to ask what ammo you're using and if you say anything other than .20s, they have a list of pre-set limits for certain ammo types.

The Stan for example, has a limit of 315fps with .25s and 350 with .20s but if I'm right by what I say above, someone using .25s with a tightbore, like I do, will actually be able to fire .25s at a higher velocity than 315, but still chrono less than 350 if they switched over to .20s for the chrono test.

In which case they could just whack some .20s in to beat the chrono, how profound is that?!

Since you have ample supply of stuff to test this theory, Dave, how do you reckon the barrel bore alters the fps deviation with different weight BBs?

You say 350 with .20s equates to around 315 with .25s, but if say, you put a 6.01mm barrel in the gun, I would've thought that the slower accelerating BB would be blocking more of the barrel, or rather, have less barrel to block, meaning less air can escape, meaning that the drop in fps wouldn't be quite so severe. Theoretically.

I'd be willing to bet that with a tightbore fitted, the usual drop of about 35-40fps when you switch to .25s would only be a drop of about 15-25. Perhaps even less than that. I'm sure when chrono'ing my L85 it's only shown a drop of about 20fps between .20s and .25s since I fitted a 6.01mm tbb.

Think it's worth bothering to test? Or just something obvious? 'Cos I do think that the physics of it all add up.

Reason it's interesting to me is that a few sites I've been to ask what ammo you're using and if you say anything other than .20s, they have a list of pre-set limits for certain ammo types.

The Stan for example, has a limit of 315fps with .25s and 350 with .20s but if I'm right by what I say above, someone using .25s with a tightbore, like I do, will actually be able to fire .25s at a higher velocity than 315, but still chrono less than 350 if they switched over to .20s for the chrono test.

In which case they could just whack some .20s in to beat the chrono, how profound is that?!

The hop up IS just a piece of rubber which rubs the BB, yes. But this piece of rubber happens to be shoved into the barrel, blocking part of it. As you apply more hop, there is more of a blockage. Is that going to slow down or increase the speed of the projectile?

Hop WILL change the fps, sometimes by quite a significant margin, upto 10-20 fps depending on exact setup of the rifle and BB weight used. (tested regularly by myself and colleagues. Just in case physics changed overnight ;) )

fps will decrease when using a heavier ammo, but energy transferred to the target will be greater with heavier BBs, even if it had a faster fps readout with a lighter BB.

ALWAYS chrono on .2's or at the very least let the guy chronoing know what weight you have loaded (313fps on.25's is the same energy level as .2's at 350fps)

Can't help but start getting all factual up in here...

I've had my own question answered. I attended the Anzio camp on the 13th. Had my gun chrono'd at the start of the day at 330fps, then about a hour later at the re spawn they were doing random chronos. And mine came back at 348fps.. The only thing that I can think that changed was I altered the hop.. Had have my spring done, hopefully it's all good now when I go on the 11th may.

• Supporters

If it was a new gun, they often 'settle' a fair few fps's away from what you chrono at out of the box, it takes a few hundred rounds for the gearbox to get to where it wants to sit, sometimes guns settle hotter, sometimes they settle lower. I'd put your change down to that than anything else.

As for Ed and the weight thing you are talking about, I have noticed it aswell, my VSR in particular is very strange for it.

on .2's it does 460fps (or there abouts) giving 1.96 joules

on .4's the logical reading would be half that (double the weight, for the same energy you need to half the speed, yes??) no, I gain velocity over the presumed speed (of 280fps) givintg readouts of circa 330fps giving 2.01 Joules

It's to do with the fact that you have a square of velocity involved in the sums (-----Energy (in joules) = 1/2 mass * velocity^2------)

using the above formula you can very easily work out exact fps limits for certain weights etc.

Tighter barrels don't make a difference from weight to weight. If you L85 does 1Joule with .2's it can only produce 1 Joule with .25's or any other weight

when swapping the barrel to test you wouldn't notice any measurable gain or loss that couldn't be dismissed as either standard fps variance or something going wrong (an air seal not being as good, etc)

• 3 weeks later...

Kwa M4A1 running .25's hop off 320/hop on full 260...I think it does change it...

Logic would dictate is has to, energy is imparted to BB by air pressure then part of that energy is used to impart spin to the BB, so the BB would have less energy. That is unless i fail to understand very basic physics.

However all i will say that most of the time the physics of airsoft is counter intuative. And no one thing will increase the performance of your gun alone, its an ensemble.

Archived