I this oil okay?

-Marksman
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

It is, although you don't want to be putting too much in your barrel.

Just get your cleaning rod and wrap some cloth or kitchen roll through the hole. (make sure its something that doesnt fall apart or leave bits of itself behind like normal tissue does)

Spray a bit of silicon on your cloth/roll then slide the rod down the barrel. Make sure you then get a new bit of tissue when its clean to dry out the barrel.

Don't use silicone oil to clean Barrels and hop up units.Rubbing alcohol does a much better job.Silicone oil is good For O rings and externals.Though you can if you wish,just don't use too much.

Some hop rubbers can swell from silicone oil and may tear.

• Supporters

Yeah, I use drive cleaner to clean my barrels these days. It's isopropyl alcohol with a touch of diethyl ether in it. I don't let much get on hop rubbers, just in case, but so far they've been fine. I use the ribbon that is supplied for cleaning SA80's on my cleaning rod - it's cheap on fleabay.

You're not going to get all the oil back out of a barrel and it will make dirt stick better than one cleaned with something which degreases, like alcohol, or even soap. The advantage with alcohol is that it evaporates very easily.

Archived