support gunner loadout (i need help)

adam bussey
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

so after some thinking I decided to start playing as a support gunner using most of the stuff I already had, but now i need some extremely large pouches to go on the back of my webbing. they should be about 16"x4"x4" minimum and I need 2. anyone got any ideas?

• Supporters

You do realise you'd like have to Take your PC off to access them? Ideally in airsoft an SG will not need anyone to access bit's necesary to him like that but bit's they may need wiould go on your back but Try the M249 Pouche's made to hold the 200 round box's if you can (I don't know the Exact config off my head so they may be slightly off)

the thing is that in the pouches I will carry supplies for my squad and my stuff will be on the front of the rig and the belt, because i will continue to use my G36

If the intended use is to carry kit for team mates i would suggest a day sack. That way if the kit is needed mid game you can just throw them the bag and continue to cover/fight. If it is attached to your rig it would leave you more exposed as you would have to stand/kneel together therefor presenting a larger and more visible target.

i have quick realise buckles on the back of my rig and i will adapt the pouches to clip into the buckles

Fair idea BUT

1. You will have to modify pouches to fit and they may not work as you want.

2. That will still mean a 2 man job to remove them.

so what packs would you recommend for a budget? also does anyone know where i can get a g36 box mag?

I have one of these and the quality is fantasic......to the point 4 of our team use them!

http://www.ukmcpro.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=yagendoo_VaMazing_zoom2.tpl&product_id=1117&category_id=242&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=260

comes in OD, Tan, black and MC but the MC one is tenner more.

I don't know how that would sit on my current rig because I have a viper assault vest with a webtex daypack yoke attached to the d-rings which is in-turn is holding down a hydration bladder on the assault vest!

yes but the hose is inter woven with the vest to stop it from flapping about and what if i need to take the bag off? what about one of those bandier or on shoulder jobs?

Just out of interest what kit do you propose to be carrying for others that they could not carry for them selves?

From my experience you only need ammo and water for normal games as the safe zone is always very close.

Please don't takes this as a negative but it seems you may overly complicating your kit to carry stuff others should be carrying for themselves.

Just out of interest what kit do you propose to be carrying for others that they could not carry for them selves?

From my experience you only need ammo and water for normal games as the safe zone is always very close.

Please don't takes this as a negative but it seems you may overly complicating your kit to carry stuff others should be carrying for themselves.

for milsims kit such as gas and bb's and extra water.

• Supporters

I've thought about this idea a lot over the past.

I can see a lot of appeal to being a field-quartermaster so to speak, carrying spare mags and ammo for people that they can't carry themselves. You're lumbered down with more ammo for yourself and meant to be providing covering fire, you will almost always be following on so to speak, and so, if your team get themselves wiped, they can regroup with you after re-spawn, grab a few fresh mags and crack on. One particularly useful thing to carry is extra pyro, most vests only account for one or two grenades of any sort, three to four at most, I ALWAYS like to be fully stocked on things that go bang, if you have a team-box, people can just come grab as they need.

I've seen a lot of areas where this can be quite useful, longer, fiercer games where maybe all you need is a couple hundred more rounds to top you up after a drawn out, aggressive (and probably failed) assault and the safe zone keeps you out of play a little bit too long (picture this: respawn, take an extra two minutes to go to safe zone, only to find that the one guy who was holding out has been had and is now doing heading your way as you walk back into game)

That being said, how many airsoft teams, are organised enough to make use of it? How many milsim games allow you to carry extra rounds, let alone for other people or enough to make it useful? How practical is it to rely on someone who may often get left fairly alone to be your supply line? With your main job being suppressing fire and fire support, if you can take extra ammo, shouldn't you do so yourself? Real armed forces usually go with the rule, take as much ammo as possible for your weapon. If you have the space, should you do so yourself?

I'll let you decide on the practicality, I still like the idea myself.

I'd take a look at something like a rip off medic pouch, that way your team can literally pull them off your rig without you even moving, and you can do the same, even when lying down etc. They tend to be small though so you may have to look around see what you can find, though even a small one would probably fit a dozen or so medium sized speedloaders and a small gas-refill thing. Just stick three or four of those on your back.

That's a very good point for the Milsim rules.

Most Milsims have a strict ammo limit, normally 600 rounds for a rifleman or 3000 for support gunner. The support gunner normally MUST have a proper support weapon equipped with a box mag so your G36 wont count as a support weapon. Also the rules quite often state that your ammo limit is for your use and you cant carry ammo for other team members.

At the last 2 milsims I have played we were not even aloud a speed loader let alone lots of extra ammo to be carried on your rig. ALL ammo bar the stated ammo limit had to be left at the base location. You were permitted to refill ammo as many times as you wanted from the base location.

g36 comes as a support weapon thou?

just configure it a bit and...... MG36:

Mg36cmag.jpg

adaptive weapon systems, eh^^

I was thinking velcro pouches myself aswell.. might have to sew the velcro on yourself if nothing else

Sorry but just sticking a box mag on your G36 wont make it a support weapon! Just the same as sticking a box mag on an M4 Its over kill and to be frank........................looks gay! (IMO)

• Supporters

To be fair, the milsims I've played have usually stated that the MG36 is valid, as long as it's used like a support weapon, so, for example, can only be fired static, with the bipod deployed.

It depends on where you're planning to play, and what level of milsim (Stirling wouldn't allow it that's for sure), but I'd still be going with what the others are saying here, the G36 platform isn't really an airsoft support weapon and you might find yourself killing it quite fast if you try to make it one. It'd probably do for general play, which then begs the question, do you need to do any of the above stuff we've discussed or do you just need a drum mag and call it quits?

As I said above though, it's your hobby, do it your way, I enjoy designing and building loadouts just for the concept a lot of the time, even if their intended purpose would maybe be fully used a few times a year, if it's fun for you, do it. Just don't expect it to be well received or even useful everywhere.

• Supporters

I'm with juni0r on this one, I can't see any situation where your teammates would be unable to carry enough ammunition themselves, especially in milsim where you tend to use less ammo rather than more!

While I can see where you're going with this one and I can see the kind of team-work thing you're trying to build I just don't see the point? In the military we have an acronym that we apply to almost everything: K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid. If you add unneccesary complication into anything it'll go to shit, but we also say that no plan survives contact with the enemy, so it's entirely up to you really!

looks like my rig will be my normal rig with a box mag and loads of mid caps and possibly a standalone grenade launcher

• Supporters

Why not Build a Grenadier Loadout instead?

Also I don't believe your actually able to get a Barrel long enough to be able to build an MG36

If this is for maim you won't be permitted to carry box and mids! It's either or as you can't carry extra ammo for team mates.

Archived