Night Vision, what's good

geoffreym
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I'm going to go with somewhere in the region of 'spinal compression'.

You could well be right, mate! 2.5Kg with the original transformer and vehicle power lead. Obviously until I know what exactly will replace the transformer, I can't say how much my plan will come in at, but the transformer is a fat lump of steel plates with copper windings so that must be at least 1 of those Kgs and the lead is not just robust but has a metal enclosed plug & double socket which I spose is to allow a 2nd pair to plug into the same vehicle power outlet, all of which will be gone.

...wont get much of a torch for £20, unless I'm much mistaken

Then you are much mistaken just search ebay!!!

Looking at the pictures for the proposed NV how much does that whole rig weigh?

I'm going to go with somewhere in the region of 'spinal compression'.

and in one of my very brief forays into humour

e29.jpg

anything under 5kg I'd be happy with, and I do think that a rhino conversion wouldn't even be difficult.

• Supporters

Well, I wouldn't class myself as any kind of baby when it comes to carrying equipment. James can vouch for that, as I carried everything to camp and skirmish at NAE12 in a bergen and pouches from Nottingham to Ringwood and back on public transport. I've got to tell you that 5Kg on my head would severely test my patience and commitment though. Even 2.5Kg would never get comfortable enough to not notice, because I'd not use it so often that it would feel normal.

I'm pretty much certain that it will end up being under 2Kg though and probably less, which I think will be OK for something like 4hrs at a time. I mean, 2 bags of sugar on your head would be fine sitting/standing still, but it's the head swivelling and/or running that would make it noticeable and eventually tiring.

• Supporters

@Geoffrey So things are looking up for at least 1 and possibly 2 more multi-transformer quiet power supplies. There's another round of negotiation to go before buying the NVG's, but I've found some decent stainless steel mesh cheap enough to use also, so the project is looking good to go on this small scale at least.

Awesome mate, I'm still up for my promised purchases and I would be happy to tour most of the southern sites to model them and possibly get some other people to buy them.

P.S. people normally call me geoff.

Awesome mate, I'm still up for my promised purchases and I would be happy to tour most of the southern sites to model them and possibly get some other people to buy them.

P.S. people normally call me geoff.

Lots of neck strengthening to do before delivery then!!!!

• Supporters

We need one of those resistance machines Michael Schumacher uses for his neck!

@Geoff - i suspected as much, but you never know. I'll keep you posted.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Due to unforeseen g/f interference, I'm having to put my Russian NVG project on hold for a month. I'll keep you posted when I get going again, Geoff.

That sucks, keep us updated please.

Archived