Turning rifle into a DMR

SgtTalbert
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey All,

Posted this on zeroin but tbh...even though I am sure there is a wealth of information to be had from their members...the input has been less than helpful.

soo...heres what I posted - any help!

Just been looking through similar threads to this...but really just want to clarify

I currently have a G&G GR15 Raider XL

I will be doing the following to turn this into a DMR type rifle

Internally:

• New TB which will extend into the silencer (unless i wont notice the accuracy difference between just going to the end of the flash hider?)
  • New Hop Up - Looking at the Madbul 3in1
  • New Spring - Looking to get around 450
  • Mechanically lock the rifle to semi
  • New Motor
  • New Gears

Is there anything I am missing that I need to do internally?

Can anyone recommend best type of items for the things I have listed or not listed above!

I do not really have a budget as I will be doing it bit by bit instead of in one big hit!

On the scope situation, do I really need anything past 4x?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers,
Tal

I wouldn't recommend a scope with anything above 4x magnification. I just think it's unnecessary because your RIF probably won't be able to reach out to distances of 5-9x etc. However, it could come in handy if you're playing in a woodland environment, being able to see them before they see you is a massive bonus.

With the new motor, I would recommend a 'JG High Torque Blue Motor'. It has incredible strength and torque, capable of pulling some beasty springs.

Suppose it just comes down to personal preference. Hope this helps.

One thing I would say is check with the sites you are going to want to use it at, as some have a 400fps limit for DMRs. Also be aware, it's not impossible for a gun limited to Semi to lock up and need a switch to Auto to unlock it, so you might want to look at the ability to be able to switch it, even if it means a trip back to the safe zone. Not much fun taking a gun that locks up and can't be used the rest of the day because it needs a gearbox strip to sort it.

The other suggestion would be to go for the new ASCU V3 Mosfet trigger system. I've got the V2 in one of my M16s and the trigger response is much quicker than on my standard M16.

One thing I would say is check with the sites you are going to want to use it at, as some have a 400fps limit for DMRs. Also be aware, it's not impossible for a gun limited to Semi to lock up and need a switch to Auto to unlock it, so you might want to look at the ability to be able to switch it, even if it means a trip back to the safe zone. Not much fun taking a gun that locks up and can't be used the rest of the day because it needs a gearbox strip to sort it.

The other suggestion would be to go for the new ASCU V3 Mosfet trigger system. I've got the V2 in one of my M16s and the trigger response is much quicker than on my standard M16.

Trigger response was a good shout! Use 11.1v LiPo batteries for a shi*hot trigger response.

• Supporters

High torque gears, high torque motor, maybe get a reinforced piston and fit a mosfet.

If you want to go the whole hog then just replace absolutely everything, but the above suggestions ought to be enough.

• Supporters

I'm pretty sure 425 is the standard FPS limit for DMR's - I've got an L1A1 which is set up for that.

As a matter of physics, as Ed says, torque is the issue. If you replace the motor and gears with high torque designs, the weak point will be the teeth on the piston - get one with 14 steel full teeth. High torque gears run more slowly than ordinary or high speed gears, so a higher voltage battery will speed it back up. The ICS Turbo 3000 motor is both powerful and fast - using it at 11.1V will give lightning fast trigger response.

I think the ASCU mosfet is quite expensive, yeah ppl? £60-odd-ish? I suspect you can get a cheaper one that will prevent full auto fire - it's not like you need all bells and whistles!

Archived