My sniper sucks :p

Jake117
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So had my Well L96 for almost 2 years now and I've sunk around £400 into it. And guess what, it still sucks balls. I've put a long 6.03 tight bore in it, replaced the hop unit, hop rubber, hop nub, cylinder, cylinder head. The only things left stock are the piston and the spring guide.

The thing is the accuracy wavers ridiculous amount, some times going dead straight, some times strongly veering off left/right. It's clearly not consistent but I can't figure out why. My only ideas at this point is the piston is absolute sh*te or the hop unit somehow manages to move left/right on the barrel.

Anyway theories/advice welcome. In a few hours m going to Swiss cheese the piston (because somehow the fps has dropped to a pathetic 222 and it will put less stress on the trigger sears that I've already had to replace once :P) so any good ideas before then ill try implement :)

• Supporters

Firstly - Clean the barrel, then think about the following:

Better piston and spring guide. The angle the piston travels down the cylinder will effect the trajectory as it will impart different spin on the BB each time by putting more air pressure on one side than the other etc. - My theory.

New piston, spring guide, cylinder, cylinder head and spring - ups the consistency, check the hop rubber isn't worn out, look into packing out the hop arm nub for better contact with the BB and check it's centered correctly.

A 90 degree or Zero Trigger would help a little too, especially if you've already had to replace the sears once.

Does the £400 you've spent include the gun itself and your scope + rings?

Read around all the articles on airsoftsniperparts.co.uk that's where I've got most of the above insights from over the past week or so, I've been looking into upgrading my first spring sniper.

• Supporters

Have you tried : http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/index.php

The guys on there seem to have some fantastic advice sections already. I'm planning a sniper setup soon based on a VSR or Bar10 and I'll be following most of the free upgrades they have listed on this page http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/showthread.php?t=6075 .

2 big things they talk about re accuracy centre around this question:

Is the hop arm able to wobble side to side in its housing?

Their suggestions, pack around the hop arm with thin sheets of metal or plastic, and or the TDC hop mod, (top down centre). Basically a screw straight through the barrel that pushes directly down on the hop arm to stop it changing position during firing.

The barrel has been constantly cleaned so its not that. As for the piston theory that's what I've come up with (as there is pretty much nothing left it could be) last time I checked the piston head was pretty worn too so I'm sure that's not helping accuracy. I'll dremel /sand the piston head smooth when I open it up and see if it make a difference until I can get a new piston altogether.

As for the hop arm sliding, I seem to remember that being the only thing on the gun that was actually solid but ill have a second look. That TDC mod is a great idea though because the current contraption used to apply pressure on the hop arm Is crazy wobbly but stays in play once screwed in.

• Supporters

Better piston and spring guide. The angle the piston travels down the cylinder will effect the trajectory as it will impart different spin on the BB each time by putting more air pressure on one side than the other etc. - My theory.

No. I think it was Pascal who described fluid dynamics, but, whoever it was, they disagree and, if they were mistaken, manifolds attached to pipes wouldn't work. They do. It is possible that a different texture on some part of the interior of the air nozzle could create turbulence in the air as it moves from cylinder into barrel, but the pressure would still be equal on all surfaces inside the system.

I think it more than likely that turbulence created behind the BB would affect the final trajectory - it is controlled turbulence passing around the BB which makes TK hop twist barrels work, but I think it far more likely that Jake's hop is to blame in some way. Getting the nub dead centre and making it stay there while you reassemble everything is easier said than done. Then there's the potential for looseness in the arm, the nub, between the barrel and hop unit, even a speck of oil or grease on the inside of the rubber would cause the spin to be applied unevenly.

Jake, has the new hop unit ever worked well?

Archived