Sandbox sites

ostrich160
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, I just wanted to ask if there are any free roam/ sandbox airsoft sites in the UK, so your basically in a massive site and from there you just play airsoft, there are no set teams and people can just ally up with who they want to, kind of like a survival experience. If not, there might be a gap in the market, and when I have the money to make an airsoft site I might just do that.

• Supporters

Never thought of that.
maybe something more as in a large site survival for a week?

You'd need a very large site with small numbers of players for it to really work and be properly gripping (4/5 acres per player)

Would everyone be set out at different times, start locations etc, or be given a list of tasks to complete or left to roam free

Never thought of that.

maybe something more as in a large site survival for a week?

You'd need a very large site with small numbers of players for it to really work and be properly gripping (4/5 acres per player)

Would everyone be set out at different times, start locations etc, or be given a list of tasks to complete or left to roam free

Well, I was thinking loads of players so its a proper survival experience, but a MASSIVE site, like 55 acres (thats about the size of the site I play at). There would be different starting locations, times would be a hard thing to do. They wouldnt be given a list of tasks, however there is loot lying around such as BB's, food and water (its not like your gonna die out there, but you probably want to do some RP), and maybe even some mags (if they dont fit your gun, use it as a trading tool), I'd just have to make sure people return them, although that might be hard. They could just be very rare, either way players will only be allowed to take in a small amount of ammo to each game, depending on the gun (so for a sniper, maybe a small pot of BB's, an assault rifle 2 med pots and LMG's 1 large, something like that). This makes it so ammo is a rarity, and it gives players a real motive to kill. So lets say your hiding in a bush, running low on ammo, and you see someone walking along. Well, normally you might not shoot him, but you see he has a pot of BB's. Take that shot and they are yours, he shoots you and you have to sit out AND drop any loot you have found (not stuff that you have brought from home). Like in DayZ, it gives players a real motive to kill.

I was thinking admission would be pretty cheap, Im thinking of setting this up if my game becomes popular (if you want to hear about that please ask, Im always happy to talk about it and answer questions), do Id have enough money to have entry fee's pretty cheap.

• Supporters

I was thinking you'd need upwards of 100 acres to play with 20 players tops. You'd need a reason to go out looking for stuff and have room to work in and patrol for items as your own, but not be too far if you did want to try snatch and grab tactics.

I think you'd find very quickly that people would group up into teams to horde resources, with 1 or two large opposing forces and then smaller groups of 1-3 people wanting to be there, just to mess with the larger groups. Snipe at them and make their lives difficult.

The issue of dead players could be quite a large one. People would need to be reset at a random location, a fair distance from any other players, so that they cannot be spawn camped.

Played over a weekend with the winner not being a team, but a single person or persons with the fewest deaths, maybe have special items in play that are worth more points to the players that hold them at the end.

It sounds like a really good idea, not too dissimilar to the Western games GMA run where you need to earn a living etc

It would need a hell of a lot of work to get it right especially the rules

defo sounds good, but i really think it will will take a lot of time to get the rules right and once killed what happens if you get hit after revealing your position to collect bounty?

i was also thinking the smaller the game are the more intense it would be and with low admission fees you would want more players to increase profit.

but great idea best of luck i always wish it to people with and idea and are just starting out!

defo sounds good, but i really think it will will take a lot of time to get the rules right and once killed what happens if you get hit after revealing your position to collect bounty?

i was also thinking the smaller the game are the more intense it would be and with low admission fees you would want more players to increase profit.

but great idea best of luck i always wish it to people with and idea and are just starting out!

Thanks, if you get hit while going out to get your bounty, well thats the nature of the game, you need to be weary even moving. Very atmospheric. As for smaller battlefields, yes its quicker action, but bigger fields are more intense, much more. Everything is more silent, theres much more to explore, and everything goes slower. It gives you time to think about that sniper that watches your every move, and it lets you be stealthy.

similar to LARPing then with the rules etc like you have NPCs you can ask them questions and stuff but they cant be killed and they give you a task, another good idea is make "gangs" and you have to do tasks to join, also write down xp you gain and keep it on your website, different levels = you can bring better weapons, more ammo etc if you go on a larp forum you will understand what im trying to say lol, owners/npcs keep your ID number written down in a pad then when the day is over they change your levels etc on the forums, then next game you be allowed better things.

just my input anyway lol, not saying its good but sounds different to any other airsoft game lol

true lol was just a suggestion after all :) or there could be a game where you bring nothing and have to gain money ingame to buy the weapons from the onsite merchants, which would be logged with your number in a book to avoid theft, basic rental guns i know but good for a more broader audience than just us airsofters can go and play with nothing, the site gives you a knife (safe cold steel etc) to start and you work your way up etc, bit like a videogame but again its different and would be interesting as a weekender, also guns/gear obtained ingame would be collected after the day and given a ticket to pick back up next day.

The problem with that is that older/more regular players not only know the site better, but have better weapons. This limits new players quite considerably.

Also, being able to bring better weapons - some players only have 1/2 top end AEGs and nothing else.

But thats not specific to my site, thats almost every airsoft site

• Supporters

Friday 20:30 through 'til 16:00 Sunday - bivvi up and sleep in game... at your own peril!

DayZsoft?

Haha, no (DayZ is awesome though!), I'd probably call into Terra Morta: Battlegrounds, as Terra Morta is the name of my game and it'd be in the same series, as its a bit like DayZ (Terra Morta is italian for dead land)

Archived