gearboxes.. proper way of doing it??

two_zero
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

I've been doing some work on a gearbox and quite frankly, there must be a proper way to do it? Fiddling with the anti reversal latch or the spring next to the trigger, or the main spring without it popping out.. its horrible!

is there any techniques or special tools you guys use?

• Supporters

I know what we could do...

Redesign the V2 g'box so that it ISN'T fiddly! Or, just destroy them all with giant hammers and pretend they never existed.

V2 gearboxes are fiddly. I've taken some of mine apart too many times to count when they just haven't wanted to work properly.

My method for the trigger is to place the lower gearbox half on the edge of an old chipboard desk, with a small piece of wood placed under the trigger to keep it level and then use a large bulldog clip to hold it in place by cliping it under the desk and on to the trigger.

For the spring guide I use a short bolt (about 2cm long) with the correct thread and an L shaped metal bracket screwed home under the lower to hold the spring guide in place with the spring fitted. It doesn't keep it perfectly tight, but it does allow you to only worry about keeping the spring and cylinder pressed down with a couple of fingers.

The anti-reverse latch ought to stay fairly well in place if you turn the bevel gear back so the latch engages.

Holding everything in place with your left hand you should then be able to offer up the top half of the gearbox shell, moving it over the bottom and sticking a couple of fingers from your right hand through the holes in the shell to take the pressure on the cylinder and spring. Then guide the shell into place, lining up the holes for the gear spindles and anti-reverse latch. With everything almost right (they rarely line up straight away) you can use a small screwdriver to move the gear spindles or bushes into line and close up the case. It's sometimes easier to fit the bushes to the gears rather than into the shell, as this gives you bigger holes to line up with.

One other tip. I've had the wires try jumping out of place around the motor entry point. To stop this happening I've used a small amount of Bluetac to hold the wires down. If you use it sparingly it will do the job and not get on to the gears.

Archived