Custom restoration (help and advice needed for a Dboys AKS-74

streetja
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys I have a Dboys AKS-74 and I've been browsing forums for a couple of days now and everyone is saying this is impossible but I want to change that and make this possible to do in my own little way of restoration work and any advice or help is needed, I'm not looking for negatives and people saying how I can't do this and that, or just buy another gun. But here goes, I have a dboys AKS-74 or the RK03 and during shipping the folding stock hinge has completely shattered and broken to a point where it is non repairable and I'm wanting to fit a solid stock onto the gun with a new wooden foregrip and a new wooden pistol grip I have found a kit online at this link

http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/AK74-Wood-Conversion-Kit_A1867L.aspx#.UT6P2aYgGc0

Now I want to know how to fit this as a possibility and get this gun restored externally before touching up on the internals I will post pictures soon. I really do appreciate everyone's help on this. Also is there any possible way of getting a scope mount onto this gun and also is there a tactical rail foregrip I can purchase seperate so i can choose between having a wooden foregrip or tactical railed foregrip while I'm at or before i go to games. Also any links to a website that will sell these is appreciated as well.

Pictures are to follow as soon as I post this and any help from you great people is very much appreciated

post-6703-0-98668300-1363055774_thumb.jpg

post-6703-0-41535900-1363055794_thumb.jpg

post-6703-0-97224900-1363055816_thumb.jpg

post-6703-0-78139300-1363055829_thumb.jpg

• Supporters

Short answer, whether you want to hear it or not, you can't put a full stock onto that reciever, you need a new reciever designed for full stocks :)

A quick look on google should help you to find the other bits you're after

I've found a dboys reciever that will take a full stock today for £40 so I will be buying that I have dissasembled the gun today and have fitted it all back together as practice for when I get the new reciever and stock ill keep this post updated

It was a folding stock damn! Now

I have to try and find a solid stock receiver for a AK-74 i have browsed through the web for 3 days now and can only get a matrix receiver that fits but the shipping is more than the part due to it being from the USA and also the probability of it being stopped at customs

• Supporters

I'm unsure as to if it would work because it's Dboy's but they are both clone's of TM so i would think they would fit, although being out of stock you'll have to call and ask for an ETA on Restock Link

i don't know of anywhere that say's This Link will fit Give them a Call and ask though.

VFC receivers and matrix receivers all work with each other

Good quality receiver for the 47 but it won't fit this model

• 2 months later...

Sorry it's been a while but I have chosen to repair the gun with what parts I have now until I can get the more custom parts. So far what I have done is weld the old stock to the reciever then sanded down the wooden grips and treated with teak oil and then I replaced the mag catch with a steel catch that I fabricated and fitted (the pot metal mag catch simply shattered) so far it's all good work and now I have to just get new hop up rubbers and then it is back to how it were until I purchase the custom parts

From what you have just said then I would not bother with trying to source another body. You have the welding and metal work skills to make things, so as long as the stock holes in the body are fine, and you can either weld to, or reinforce the pot metal socket on the shattered stock you should be able to fix it tat way. To be honest I have had 2 1/2 under stock Ak's and all of them have had broken the stock in the end, and they all snap in just about the same place as well :)

Or you could always do this

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/build-yourself/179192-diy-shovel-ak-photo-tsunami-warning.html

It's a shame they have that fault. But the stock is a lot stronger the way I've welded it and the welds are tiny but have good penetration. The way I tested the welds was I hit the stock against a wall a couple of times and its really not going anywhere I'm nearly ready to start going thanks for the advice. I do appreciate it and for the shovel stock ......... Wow lol

I could always just cut off the stock and modify the reciever so I can put a stock tube on and have a tactical looking ak74 but I do like the old soviet look

Archived