Which tactical vest?

kev.k
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've been looking at tactical vests on amazon. They all look similar, but range in price from £20-£200.

I'm assuming the cheaper ones are toys? Are there any brands to avoid?

I'd rather buy a decent one, than one that will fall to bits.

Cheers

brands to buy if you can afford them web-tex, viper, condor please some one think of more because that all I can remember!

I just brought my first tac vest, although got it on eBay, and I will say look out for the magazine pouches. The first one I brought had pouches that would barely fit MP5 mags in and the second one I brought (that I'm keeping as it fits like it was tailored for me lol) still has rather snug pouches for my G36C mags. I'm slowly stretching them out, but it's hardly a swish movement at the moment!

Good luck though!

Edit: As for brands, two of my friends have very nice Swiss Arms ones..

The choice is really up to you. You can buy some perfectly usable viper vests for about £20-25, you can also buy some purpose made gucci kit for £200+. You can also buy army surplus on ebay for about £20-50 for a full set of plce or an assault vest.

It really is up to you and what you like the look of....which to be honest is what airsoft is all about.

Pouches for mags is the issue. Most vests will take m4 style mags, and some AK 47 mags may not fit, but ak74 ones will (just stick out a bit) things like m14/g36 and other large mags will not fit m4 pouches as they are considerably fatter than normal. You can get them to fit, but it involves cutting the internal elastic to open the pouches fully.

I've been looking at tactical vests on amazon. They all look similar, but range in price from £20-£200.

I'm assuming the cheaper ones are toys? Are there any brands to avoid?

I'd rather buy a decent one, than one that will fall to bits.

Cheers

Best to start with what your max budget is. Far easier to give advice if we know how much you want to spend.

brands to buy if you can afford them web-tex, viper, condor please some one think of more because that all I can remember!

Web-Tex - wouldn't touch with a barge pole! Viper is better but still not very good. I have no experience of condor.

I have used a UTG PC, a defcon5 PC and all mt new kit is warrior. but that's the high end of your range.

Best to start with what your max budget is. Far easier to give advice if we know how much you want to spend.

Web-Tex - wouldn't touch with a barge pole! Viper is better but still not very good. I have no experience of condor.

I have used a UTG PC, a defcon5 PC and all mt new kit is warrior. but that's the high end of your range.

i haven't had any problem with ether viper or webtex

I'm looking at Flyye, 5.11 and Kombat UK. I'd rather buy a decent mid range vest that will last.

I don't really want to spend more than £100, less if possible.

I'd rather have one that doesn't have fixed pouches. Some look a bit OTT for me, with too many mag pouches/pockets etc.

I was issued viper kit with work and it never lasted more than a month before the stitching would go and render it useless!

I had web-tex pouches for cadets and again they did not last.

The warrior kit is top notch and can be picked up for good prices. My whole kit cost around £120.

I was issued viper kit with work and it never lasted more than a month before the stitching would go and render it useless!

I had web-tex pouches for cadets and again they did not last.

The warrior kit is top notch and can be picked up for good prices. My whole kit cost around £120.

I'll check the warrior kit out. Don't think I've come across them yet.

I'm also struggling to decide between OD and CB. I like CT but i'll mostly be playing woodland from now on.

Webtex/Viper/etc is good for airsofting (where kit doesn't have to be top notch) but will only last you a roughly a year with weekend or so usage.

Warrior Assault Systems kit is IMO fantastic for the price, and will last you ages! :)

Webtex/Viper/etc is good for airsofting (where kit doesn't have to be top notch) but will only last you a roughly a year with weekend or so usage.

Warrior Assault Systems kit is IMO fantastic for the price, and will last you ages! :)

mines lasted 5 years of cadet usage and a year of airsoft with out any signs of the stitching going. may be I got the best one I don't know?

mines lasted 5 years of cadet usage and a year of airsoft with out any signs of the stitching going. may be I got the best one I don't know?

A lucky good lemon for once instead of a bad one? :) :L

• Supporters

I've got a Web-tex vest that is ex-issue, so it had already had a good going over before I got hold of it. I've had it almost a year and it shows no signs of giving up the ghost, so I'd guess you and I both must be lucky lol!

This type:

$(KGrHqNHJCsFCgy99dTtBQp(W-vQdg~~60_35.J- fleabay ~ £64.00 + £7 P&P = 'kin outrageous!

I paid about £13 for mine. I can get 2 AK47 mags in each of the 4 ammo pouches, or 3 AK74 or M4. Also 2 L1A1 mags (which are the same size as M14 - NATO 7.62mm). I can get 2 G36 mags in each: they can't be connected by their lugs in the 2 left hand ammo pouches, but the right hand ones don't have spacers inside. Dunno about MP5, but I expect they would fit, just pretty awkwardly.

If you don't want fixed pockets though, you'll need molle. I've also got a Warrior Systems RICAS, which I bought simply because I want a black loadout. It seems pretty good, but I'm buggered if I can see where so much extra money has gone... still, I bought it 2nd hand so I didn't spend it lol!

• Supporters

http://www.recon-company.com/

it's german but google translate works well enough

edit to add: http://www.warriorassaultsystems.com/find-a-retailer/?continent=Europe

they say 1 retailer per country so here's the europe page

according to was' facebook page, they've had problems with supply of materials from us mills so restock supplies to uk have been interupted

• Supporters

It's a moot point really. I'd say it depends what you're wearing it over, or what mixture of gear you choose. For eg, if you wear BDU with plenty of green then a vest and pouches in Coyote Brown might be ok, especially in the south of the UK. You could probably get away with CB and MultiCam or MTP in the New Forest.

You could always mix a CB vest with MC or MTP pouches, or, heaven forfend and the gods save us from the camo that was designed for temperate European woodlands, DPM pouches... or vegetato, flecktarn, cadpat... for pure style I reckon OD pouches on a CB plate carrier would look really cool, especially with OD BDU and CB belt, drop leg holster and dump pouch, British Issue Lowa desert boots polished to a darker brown to match CB, dyed brown scrim over OD helmet cover, sprayed CB-ish mesh eyepro above OD 1/2 face mask - you get the idea lol!

• Supporters

Yeah, M_P, but let's remember that CB isn't tan, it's light brown. I realise that may sound like nit picking or even nonsense, but CB as a hue contains more red than tan.

In the UK, tan only blends against sand, dried out sandy soil, totally dead grass etc., or dry woodchip mulch maybe, but CB will blend against the much more prevalent dry loamy soil, wet light soil, dry-ish dead leaf litter, and a wider range of living, dying, or dead vegetation.

That said, there is a tan shade in DPM, so clearly it does have a place in European temperate camo - it just depends what other colours are with it.

I've give up trying to find the warrior chest rig I liked. Seems they're out of stock everywhere.

The rig I like is available in coyote brown and ranger green. Would coyote brown be the better year round woodland option?

How close are coyote tan and coyote brown? I've noticed no manufacturer lists both and some just use "coyote".

• Supporters

I think Ranger Green would be better for woodland. I don't think that officially 'Coyote Tan' exists... I think that's just site owners own interpretation, or perhaps a named colour of knock off gear. I may be wrong though - have you seen CT on reputable looking sites selling gear from well known named manufacturers?

Archived