Bluestone 42?

Ian_Gere

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Independant Fan Site

"Bluestone 42 is a series about a bunch of soldiers who love being

soldiers and the camaraderie, bonds and banter they share, even though they are risking their lives defusing hidden bombs."

Anybody else see it? I thought it was pretty reliant on some standard army stereotypes but funny anyway. Plus a great opportunity for discussions about the in/correctness of gear/procedures etc. :D

MTP uniform, DDPM helmet cover, tan scrim, black improvised looking helmet band... early days, right? Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut... up to date looking L85A2's ??? Come on, get your gear-nerd on. You know you want to!

• Supporters

George was telling me about this, he said that the wrongness of the gear would just piss me off lol.

I'll look into it later on.

• Supporters

They wear multicam.... the horror.

Goes to show what i know lol! But yeah, i did sorta think it was a shade more grass green than sage green...

Aye, I think it's the cheap knock off gear too, rather than the Crye stuff, tbh someone in art direction will be cutting corners with regards to cost. I am somewhat surprised though that the MOD didn't just shell out some RS gear, as making our forces look badass on TV will always make people want to join up.

not seen the film yet too but like ed i will have a butchers later on.

just a thought bit off topic as a teenager i loved the film dog soldiers and watched it the other day after a few years break and it did not feel the same as it did? Could i have been blinded all those years ago or having watched the film in triple figures ruined it for me?

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't notice too much difference myself, but there was definitely something not right. Besides, as aforementioned by Hibernator to be honest it's only a BBC3 sit-com so wouldn't really expect them to get it right anyway.

Good show nonetheless.

• Supporters

Yeah, 2 eps in and I have hopes for it still.

I thought they missed an opportunity for proper dark humour when the ambusher got shot, but in a way, which I believe is probably beyond the scope of their deliberate intent, or even ability perhaps, it was pretty funny in an existentialist way.

:blink::rolleyes:;)

Just watched the first two episode's today and thought it was OK. Some funny bits for sure but just think it needs to find it's feet a little. Other than that it makes for good entertainment.

• Supporters

I'm waiting for it to stop feeling like a pilot episode. I realise the humour is in the clichés but it there is far more they could probably get out of the situation. I did think the camo was a bit wrong, looked far too green in my eyes but don't know enough to recognise the difference.

All in, I think its a good premise and I look forward to more.

• 1 year later...

It wasn't as bad as this new Afghan show, Our Girl....

They can't even get the bloody rifles and helicopters right! They have the actors running round in modern kit with A1s and flying in on Hueys!

• Supporters

It's a tv program made to a budget, who cares? The vast majority of viewers won't know the difference anyway.

As we're in a bluestone 42 thread I should probably add that I thought it was properly crap, saw the first series but I found it tried too hard to be funny and wasn't.

• Supporters

^^Agreed on the "tried too hard". But it's better than watching nobenders et al and no ads so as something to have on in the background, it makes a welcome change from Discovery, Nat Geo & Dave... i have a series link on my TiVo still, but i just switched it to 'New Only' - it's definitely not good enough to run through series 2 again.

Oh, and History.

Edited by Ian_Gere
how could i forget D-Day?

• Supporters

I really enjoyed it =[

Anyone watching Our Girl on BBC1?

It wasn't as bad as this new Afghan show, Our Girl....

They can't even get the bloody rifles and helicopters right! They have the actors running round in modern kit with A1s and flying in on Hueys!

I really enjoyed it =[

Anyone watching Our Girl on BBC1?

• Supporters

I think they've captured the essence of everything really well.

Sure, they've got details wrong, and there's some stuff that's truly unforgivable... Rotating charging handles, anyone?

But on the whole I don't have a problem with stuff being wrong, really. Most people watching don't know any better, and it's not like it takes anything away from the actual content of the show.

My buddy was originally set to work on set with Bluestone 42 but got another gig in the US, the MOD wouldn't play ball , its filmed in South Africa (funny enough so is Our Girl for the scenes mean't to be afghan )

It's a comedy, look at it like that. Yes they should be a bit more accurate but it is a comedy not a documentary.

After all, Friends seemed to do ok and there was no way they could, on their jobs, afford an apartment in upstate New York.

But Our Girl is crap and that is down as a drama so should be right. Plot lines you can see a mile off eg clear that the capt will shag the girl even though in reality it would destroy his career etc.

well it wouldnt as hes an officer and so is she, Padre's are commissioned officers. i watched some of Our girl and thought it was crap. propagandist psch about a girl trying to make it in this mans army and prove to them shes worth and earn their respect! Snore same story different war.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.