gas cartrage

craig
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

ive been doing alot of airsofting down south in ireland as thay have few law regaring airsoft and becouse of this the fps law dose not apply but once i restarted airsofting in the uk ive been told gas cartrage's are a no no as thay regeister above 400fps but the ones i use are 340fps is this legal?

p.s. this is the said cartrage

12g_co2_cartridge_airsoft_gas.jpg

Well if i am right anything above 500 FPS is classed as a air rifle

I have never heard of not beeing able to use cartages as these use CO2 and loads of poeple use CO2 in their mags

so no i dont think it is illegal

• 2 months later...

Well i dunno like i have said before gas gun arnt my fortay

I have only just got a GBB Pistol and it is a CO2 cartrage gun XP

I just heard from somewhere that anything over 500 FPS is classed as a Airifle

Just out of intrest what is the Limit??

• AF-UK Founding Member

Not that I know, but I doubt it's just based on the FPS, if you go crazy on an airsoft gun it doesn't suddenly become an air gun.

To me it's that air guns fire .177's or .22's not 6mm plastic BB's.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'll summarise it for you.... ;)

The max legal limit is 1.35j using a 0.2g bb, giving 328fps - this applies to anything capable of semi or full auto. However, most UK sites like to have a restriction of 1j.

It's slightly different for anything single shot, such as a sniper rifle. Most sites will allow maximum 500fps for this. At this stage you are now technically firing a low powered air weapon. The reason this is ignored is because the projectile is still not capable of penetrating the skin, so is not classed as a "true" air weapon. Despite the fact that the power would be around 2.3j, you get away with it on a "technicality".

Hope this helps.....

.......at what range though?

Many sites have a rule that you cannot use one of the higher powered snipers at less than 20 feet.

About 4 feet, (which resulted in a spray in retaliation).

Thats good to know

Archived