MP7 - AEP or GBB

gwr3850
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey Guys,

So fancied a change from my G&G AR15 as don't feel just quite magical. And seen more vids of the MP7's especially the TM one. I'm itching to trade in the AR15 and all PMAGs and M910 etc... and get an MP7.

Question is though which do I get, as there are 4 on the market. The TM AEP and GBB version or the licensed UmaRex ones.

If I opted for the TM GBB, what Gas can I expect will perform alright with this, I have heard reports of some people saying GG broke theirs whilst others have no problem. Is there a new aftermarket part that strengthens the internals so it can withstand GG.

Any help would be much appreciated, I am mind switching between one of these, a Celcius DTW (Though they have no RIS) or a WE raptor but they are bit expensive. Other option was a Magpul PTS Masada, but no idea how they rate!

• Supporters

Although none of the other stuff mentioned is my area, I will say that the AEG MP7 which is licensed by UMAREX is the Well manufactured one, which I hear is absolutely shocking. So avoid that like the plague. The TM AEG MP7 on the other hand, is actually surprisingly good. It won't cut it as your primary, all situations accounted for, AEG as the range is quite poor due to the sub 250fps, but it's very good for what it is.

The TM gas MP7 feels amazing, but other than the feel I'm as clueless as you. Tariq is probably your best man to talk to about gas MP7s, there'll be a few people able to answer any questions about ARs.

As for the WE Raptor series, and potentially the DTWs as well, both are very new on the market, I think the WE Raptors especially have been available for barely two months. Might be worth waiting a bit for more info.

So far from what I've heard the DTWs sound very promising though, and I'm sure there'll be a place that sells it with RIS out of the box. If not there'll be a million and one compatible options available.

Personally, from what you've listed I'd probably go for the KWA gas MP7, it's been out for a while, it's tried and tested and there are a lot of people around with experiences of them that can help if you have any issues. It'll also be fine with green gas, so that worry can just sod off out of the window. Only issue will be finding mags, as to my knowledge, KWA still don't have a sole UK distributor.

Oh and about the PTS Masadas, I've heard a lot of mixed reviews. Most of them say that if they had any issues at all it was with the hop up unit though. So that's something to consider. I personally don't think they're worth the price at all, any other all polymer rifle would be half the price or less. Magpul stuff just comes at a premium because of the label, I kinda see it as the Nike of airsoft.

That's a great help for the in depth post Ed - I thank you.

Interesting to read too, I have seen that the Umarex can chrono higher than 350 so I'd have to be careful about that but maybe that'd solve the primary issue. Shame really, as videos comparing the two, the TM has better externals (minus the trades) and has a lot more of a recoil. But looking at the bigger picture, it certainly seems more logical choice as the points you made.

Yeah the DTW's do sound great and I can't imagine them being too bad of kit considering its a joint venture of two companies that do TW's. I could get one further down the line when more parts are available too and switch between that and the MP7. The only other choice that takes my interest would be the Umarex 416/417 AEG, but I have no idea what their internals are like. Great looking externals though!

Thanks again, a bit more head scratching I think!

Apologies for the double post. I forgot to also ask if I got the KWA, what sort of fps does this thing have. Is it CQB friendly for sites such as The Stan? Would there be a method to reduce fps to the 350 limit.

• Supporters

Ah you play at The Stan? Nice one, I'm from Sheffield, I was there just this Sunday gone :D

Tariq either has, or had a KWA MP7 for ages and he plays CQB with it, so it's either CQB friendly, or easy to make so. If all else fails you can just use 134a gas instead of green gas, that'll give you a lower fps. Sending him a PM would be your best bet, just explain that I pointed you in his direction and stick a link to this thread in there, I'm sure he'll be happy to give you some pointers.

Also, going back to your first post, G&P have just released a Masada, which I'd bet money on being awesome, as most of their stuff is. Not heard anything on the price yet though.

As for VFC's internal quality, it's good from what I've heard. There were a few reports of the motors being a bit dodgy, but I don't know the finer details. I have two mates with the VFC SCAR L and they're both pretty sexual, I've also had a play with a 417 and it was pretty nice. Range and accuracy were rather good out of the box, though not quite as good as I'd hoped for. Nothing a tight bore and new hop can't fix though.

Tariq here, for all your airsoft needs :)

Yeah the KWA/Umarex/KSC can come a little hot depending on what gas you are using.

Simple way to adjust it... NPAS. Think its around $20 for the NPAS kit and tool. Takes about 5 minutes to fit, and its pretty simple to do. Knocked mine down to 300 in summer, but its a really old one so you might get a little more out of a new one.

That or run 144a but I like running propane as its nice and cheap.

TBH the TM GBB isn't really worth the additional cost. Although the magazines are slightly easier to get hold of. The recoil is slightly higher, but still nothing greater than a GBB pistol so either way I wouldn't swing it on recoil alone. The KWA recoil goes up with the NPAS kit though, as it drops fps and puts that energy into the recoil system.

KWA does have a little hop rubber problem. They like to swell up from sillicon so keep them dry. Takes a fair bit of use to happen but when it does it needs replacing. Only $6 from KWA though. Parts are easy to get for the KWA. Impossible for TM as they don't really do international parts sales.

Recommend getting your hands on a MP7 though before buying (same really for any gun you're planning on buying). The pistol grip is a little different from what you are used to. Its not uncomfortable, but its very different. Also its not as light as you think. I do use it as a pistol, but really think of it as a very small rifle.

Hey Ed,

Yeah I play up there sometimes as its the sister Op-tac site to the stoke one. I was there Saturday just gone, haha was a good day. Charlie acted as an arab at one point.

I thanks again for the insight, interesting to think about again haha. Thanks for the advice, Ill see what prices I can find. Appreciate the extra info about the motors and such too!!

Tariq, Dear sir. I thank you for the advice, saved me money there. I love the look of this little beauty and must have one haha Thanks for the tips, have you tried it as a primary in CQB? I heard someone left the rubber in Power steering fluid for 24 hours then put it back in. The shop at my club is getting some in actually so I can feel one then :P

• Supporters

He did that on Sunday as well. Got knifed by the bastard in that dark room next to the stairs that join the police station building to the warehouse.

He's outstandingly sneaky for such a lanky arse lol.

He did that on Sunday as well. Got knifed by the bastard in that dark room next to the stairs that join the police station building to the warehouse.

He's outstandingly sneaky for such a lanky arse lol.

yeah he did same to me. Turned round and it was like a shark on its prey. Then secured him but he hid a pistol above a door and shot us all while he was detained. Git haha

Tariq, Dear sir. I thank you for the advice, saved me money there. I love the look of this little beauty and must have one haha Thanks for the tips, have you tried it as a primary in CQB? I heard someone left the rubber in Power steering fluid for 24 hours then put it back in. The shop at my club is getting some in actually so I can feel one then :P

I've been using it as a primary since i got it :) Woodland and CQB.

that trick can sometimes work, but its usually just easier to get a new one. KWA will ship stuff over for $8 postage and arrives in 5 days.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys me again. So this month I finally will move into the GBBr world. After time of thinking and such. I am trying to work out the best choice for UK use.

The umarex mp7 or the new GHK G5. Both look great and both had good ratings so far.

My real question is though how does the MP7 perform with the weather and climates we have?

As you can see in the video I posted the G5 operates beautifully at low temps. Secondly and important - what are the availability of the mags for the mp7?

The G5 and mags can both be had from milspec solutions. Can't find anywhere that stocks the mp7 mags except redwolf airsoft. I believe they do have a UK branch even though they are American based company.

Many thanks for all help. Can others see my dilemma? They both look beasty! A final note are flash hiders removable like AEGs?

• Supporters

Redwolf are Hong Kong based, not US.

The G5 hasn't been out long, but Charlie did have on at The Stan yesterday, I think Gaz owns it so asking on the OpTac forums, or ringing Ian at MilSpec would be your best bet for more info.

As for the flash hider and mags, you'd be best waiting for Tariq to reappear.

Thanks for the info Ed. indeed I have seen Gaz upload pics of it on FB, he said it worked a beauty and is under 350 right out of the box and mags are only 44 from milspec.

Thinking about it the flash hiders must come off as the HK licensed suppressor swaps the flash. Just picturing what the g5 would look like with a g36 flash hider on it. Indeed they are still pretty new. So giving the guy at milspec might be just the advice I need. The technology used on it though does seem good for reliability and gas efficiency. Nearly 4 mags worth before you need to refil.

The kwa one uses about two, but I don't know how they perform on colder days, where as the g5 seems happy with miserable British weather haha. Have to let me know when you're at the stan next Ed. I'm part of the clayhead bunch now hehe

Thanks again

• Supporters

Both have removable flashiders but I believe the kwa mp7 has got a weird 16mm thread or something along those lines, of course, Tariq will know for sure

If you were to go for the ghk I'd wait a few months first, and keep an eye on the arnies review thread for any issues that crop up, better to wait than get one with problems though ghk are meant to be pretty good nowadays.

KwA mp7 will work well even in the UK's rubbish temperatures, if mags are an issue getting hold of, look second hand. If they still aren't around, get the tm, its still a good gun just be sure not to use green gas or propane as the stock nozzle will break.

I like the look of the g5 too myself, especially the longer version they showed off a while ago, so look forward to seeing how it shoots at some point.

Yeh there is the chance of teething problems. I will ask Gaz see what he thinks. Maybe more people with ideas at AAF7 so have a chat then.

Wasn't aware of lengthend version just the cqb size but they are like a mini ACR to my eyes haha looking at videos though they fire brilliantly and hardly any cooldown. Even after been in the freezer a while. Anyway enough waffling.

Thanks MP for advice on the mags. Best place for second hand would be the likes of eBay I imagine? TM could be alternative though not sure on prices or places to get them from.

Cheers again

• Supporters

Zeroin will have the biggest chance of having kwa mags for sale on.

Novatcombat has the Tm's for only 295 with free shipping, which is better than most other places

KWA takes a CW (I think 14mm) flash hider, however only the MP7 style ones fit as the thread is actually recessed into the front receiver. So would need an adapter to move the thread out further for any other style flash hider.

TM is the same but its a CCW screw thread instead.

KWA works in the cold. Performance dragged a little when it was -5 and very wet, but it was still skirmish able.

KWA vs TM is down to personal preference atm. Both have a few minor flaws, but both can be easily fixed.

ZeroIn, or importing are the easiest place to get mags. Little expensive buying from the states/HK but gotta do what you gotta do :P

The grange currently have some second hand ones for the KWA MP7. Dunno the condition of them though. I have enough mags for me to stop being interested in more :P

Hmmmm good opinions all. Tariq it's helpful for your input so thanks. I think mp7 is the one to have :P

I may have to compromise and get an ACR aeg haha start shopping around for micro t1s now :P

Ok so I've thought best bang for buck possibly be kwa mp7. And apparently getting a Falcon hop rubber helps the issues and my local site will fit lower power valve I'm guessing NPAS kit to make it under 350 fps.

Checked zeroin but out of stock. Do they get more often or do they order for people?? Rather excited to get one now actually!!!

Fire Support currently have them in stock (http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/kwa-umarex-mp7-a1-gas-blowback-smg) - I know its already been mentioned but just to make sure, the mags can be very tricky to get hold of and are slightly more expensive than the TM ones.

I have the KWA/Umarex version and love it - the only problems was getting hold of the mags, but providing you don't mind waiting for shipping times from China then you'll be fine! :)

NPAS is easy to fit. Takes about 5-10 mins and all you need is a small screwdriver and something to knock pins out.

You can also get a low power bolt, which is a fixed system and replaces the entire standard bolt. Little more expensive and doesn't offer adjust-ability. however it's generally about 330fps, where the NPAS is about 300 max. It's also a straight swap so just takes seconds to fit.

AFAIK the KWA magazines are slowly being discontinued, so stock is slowly getting smaller. Just checked a few popular HK sites and they are all out of stock.

Glad I bought mine when i did.

It would probably be easier to just buy the TM, and stock up on nozzles :)

It's a very good point. I have seen a TM version somewhere for 295 which isn't too bad. And on the site you linked TM mags are 35, compared to 59 for the KWA ones.

It would make more financial sense to get the TM one. What gas can the TM ones withstand though? I also here there's a angry gun suppressor that boosts FPS to about 350 for the TM mp7. I just hope the TM would perform as well as you reported in winter Tariq!!

Thanks for the input Monkee and Tariq!! Apparently UMarex have possibly lost the HK contract??

Yeah they did.

Which is ok if you already have a gun and magazines, but not as a new customer.

I now have 9 MP7 magazines all in brilliant condition which are just going to go up and up in value LOL.

The TM should be fine in the cold. Haven't tried one that low temps though. Usually you just use more powerful gas to cope through winter. Just have a spare nozzle and run green gas maybe if you start to struggle.

Hmmm I see nice pointers Tariq!! Can I use green gas normally or should I use kickass gas for example?

Archived