airsoft etiquette

Pointman PUG
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Do you shoot those ambling fools on the opposite team that,once hit simply wander off slowly back through the lines getting in the way of a perfectly great one vs three?is it ok to fire a few "get the f&*£ out of the way"shots!?

or is that unsportman like? I dunno the awareness of some of these Folks is scary....and they are allowed a rif!!!

I don't quiet know, never been to a skirmishes before... But my guess is that you will most like likely to get shouted at by the reff...and player...and/or get a warning... (Hope this helps)...:)

It's not cricket to lace someone who is dead and retreating to respawn or leave as 'dead' if they walk through your line of fire whilst you are shooting ata live player then I would class that as their own fault but to actively shoot someone in that way is not how to play at all

• Supporters

You tent to avoid trying to shoot the dead players, but as above if they are in the way, either tell them, or they'll work it out pretty quickly ;)

• Supporters

I dunno the awareness of some of these Folks is scary....and they are allowed a rif!!!

That somewhat implies a RIF is a super dangerous dealer-of-death. If we were discussing actual firearms then yeah, however an airsoft gun at <350 FPS is significantly less dangerous than a shovel.

It's not cricket to lace someone who is dead and retreating to respawn or leave as 'dead' if they walk through your line of fire whilst you are shooting ata live player then I would class that as their own fault but to actively shoot someone in that way is not how to play at all

Indeed. Dead players are not to be fired upon if they're making their way back to regen. I know that'd piss me off big time, especially if it's just because someone on the other team simply lacked the patience to allow me to safely exit the area.

Frustrating if people amble slowly? Yep. Get used to it. You'll find people reporting you to marshals soon enough if you keep firing on non-combatants.

• Supporters

Oh no, deliberately shooting dead men walking is not on. Sometimes it's not entirely clear whether someone is dead though, eh? For eg, I've been in the situation a few times where I was shooting somebody whom did not take the hits, then they move... are they taking a hit finally, or not?

Personally, if I see someone raise their hand and/or hear them shout, "Hit!", I won't shoot at them or close enough to them that an unexpected step by them will put them in my line of fire. However, if I'm not sure, I will shoot, just less aggressively than I would against a known live target.

Then there's the people who wander around at the periphery of a skirmish - are they non-combatants or players who are nonchalantly seeking to flank us in the, mistaken as it happens, belief that they are unseen and/or out of range? Again, if I'm unsure I aim low and make my first shot or two sort of 'exploratory'. That said though, at the GZ Weekender I got hit about four times through being unsure and not sufficiently aggressive.

I'd like to go with a zero tolerance policy of shooting anyone who isn't obviously drawing attention to the fact that they are non-combatants. If I must cross people's line of fire I do hold up a hand and shout, "Dead man walking!", or something like that and if people shoot me whilst I am doing so, I vociferously question their intelligence, parentage, and, occasionally, reason for living. The trouble is that regardless of what I think, when it comes down to pulling the trigger, if I feel unsure I just can't go for it...

Here's one for discussion mind: how about shooting dead players whom are being used as cover by live team mates?

Shooting someone who is walking backward with their hands in the air, even if ambling is a no. If you are running backwards, then I would assume you are not hit and are changing cover position, so I would continue to shoot.

However also just standing still so your own team can use you as cover is also a no, no and deserves to get laced up. I had this happen to me. I ambushed a team of 4 players, definately hit two, who just stood there while their team mates used them as cover....was not amused and called a marshal over, who pointed out the error of their ways.

I have also had the situation of a dead player sitting in a trench about 10m behind enemy lines, and was getting rather irate when he was getting continually laced up by 4 or 5 flanking players. "ffs, can't you see I'm dead" was the cry as he continued to load his mags. The marshels response was "well f-off back to respawn if you don't want to get shot" as he was obviously still in the area of play (multi staged attack on multiple zones of play)

So the rule is, get hit, shout hit, arm up and walk off. You may well take another few hits as you do, but you are clearing the area of play. I tend to look around for my team as walking and try not to cross any LoF while removing myself from the area of play so they can carry on doing what they are doing..

@Ian Gere

If there's me and a teammate in a corridor and team mate is shot and shouts "hit!" the aggressor will pause for a second or two to mentally congratulate himself, possibly wind his mag and decide whether to follow-up himself. This is my moment to move and shoot. If my dead teammate happens to walk towards the aggressor to re-spawn then I'll naturally have to be behind him for a moment or so as I zip round him to bag the enemy.

• Supporters

I'd call that fair play, QuadM. But if your dead mate got hosed while you were moving behind him, even if he was holding a hand up and shouting, "Hit!", I'd say that was fair enough too. Personally i expect that i would probably be a bit trigger shy if i was on the opposing team in that situation, unless he or you had done something sufficiently annoying to override my natural instincts...

To be honest, the fact that my style of play is dictated at least as much by emotion as thought is not something I can feel proud of, but at the same time i don't want to go through military training to beast the emo out of me :D

• Supporters

Quote function is a bloody ball ache...

Ian said: "I'd like to go with a zero tolerance policy of shooting anyone who isn't obviously drawing attention to the fact that they are non-combatants. If I must cross people's line of fire I do hold up a hand and shout, "Dead man walking!", or something like that and if people shoot me whilst I am doing so, I vociferously question their intelligence, parentage, and, occasionally, reason for living."

I'd like to congratulate him on making me lol.

Awesome feedback guys...thanks!

However I wasnt asking if its ok to shoot a dead man...thats a waste of a good bb and battery power!!!

I was asking if its acceptable to shoot a bloke who is actively using himself as a human shield by wandering over to his mates,take a swig of water,reload,burp,fart,adjust their crotch and meander to the respawn...

this is something we as airsofters will find this happen from time to time...its an annoying offshoot of the game to be taken with a pinch of salt!

rant over!

and those comments about rif's not being dangerous.....please feel free to hose your own face with one...I'll see you in A&E :-P

• Supporters

I agree. I always take gun control overly seriously...

About 7 years ago I once broke a guy's nose because he shot my brother in the thigh with a springer. I had a mean right hook for a 14 year old lol.

• Supporters

I was asking if its acceptable to shoot a bloke who is actively using himself as a human shield by wandering over to his mates,take a swig of water,reload,burp,fart,adjust their crotch and meander to the respawn...

this is something we as airsofters will find this happen from time to time...

Yeah, I get you. I think it's not ok to deliberately hose them, to make them get out of the way, but you're right, there's a difference between unavoidable game mechanics, where dead men have to walk through a live skirmish to respawn, and dickheadery. If dick heads get hit accidentally when we are firing at legitimate targets, it's tough titty, eh ppl?

• Supporters

and those comments about rif's not being dangerous.....please feel free to hose your own face with one...I'll see you in A&E :-P

You should go in to the removals business.

Removal of context.

• Supporters

Yeah, I get you. I think it's not ok to deliberately hose them, to make them get out of the way, but you're right, there's a difference between unavoidable game mechanics, where dead men have to walk through a live skirmish to respawn, and dickheadery. If dick heads get hit accidentally when we are firing at legitimate targets, it's tough titty, eh ppl?

+1

If they are actively trying to get in the way for the benefit of their team despite being dead, I'd treat it the same as someone who doesn't take their hits as that's really what they're doing, as basically shoot them until they move on or take the hit... however, if someone is actually trying to get out of the way then I wouldn't intentionally shoot them, however if you walk trough the crossfire you'll get hit, same goes for if you're hands not up.

I've been hit before going back to the regen for both those reasons, all you can do is try and get out of the game zone ASAP

• Supporters

You are quite right in saying RIFs are objects which can cause harm, I'd never dispute that. If it seemed like I was saying otherwise, then I chose my words incorrectly.

As I say though, I think as things go in general, they're not that bad overall. I'd be a lot more worried about someone attacking me with a big stick than your average airsoft gun.

If an airsofter is hit and in the line of fire it is common sense to get out of the way, in fact all of the sites I've played at make a point of mentioning this in their briefing when there are new players. That way if you choose not to move out of the line of fire its your own stupid fault

Archived