Companies and their ratings

toanjuice
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I think it would be extremely helpful to have thread which shows newcomers exactly how highly an airsoft company is rated. For example, if we take Tokyo Marui, I'd ask every one to rate it out of 100 and I would take an average and edit it as it changes. I'd also list their advantages and disadvantages if I find its and common thing people suggest I put it. The more companies we can do, the better. What do you guys think?

• AF-UK Founding Member

We'd need a survey.

The thing is a lot of people will just ask advice when they sign up, because on top of not knowing much about brands, they want to know what gun might be best for them, what gear, where to play etc.

King arms

G&G armaments

Cybergun

Jing Gong

I.C.S

A.P.S

V.F.C

Ares

G&P

Galaxy

Well

AGM

CYMA

D-BOYS

JLS

WE TECH

Classic Army

LCT

Magpul

Real Swords

Tokyo Marui

Umarex

GSG

SRC

Tell me if I missed out any

• Supporters

Systema

WA

Stark arms (vfc subrand)

HK3

A&K

Both elephant

KWA

KSC

KJW

Inokatsu

Western arms (probably not so relevant)

Star

G&D

Celcius

Dytac

Army armament

Madbull (guess they'd kinda fit)

Tanaka

Double eagle

HFC

GHK

Those are all I can think of for now.

Umarex are not a brand, they just rebrand stuff (mainly kwa and vfc)

I may have duplicated some by accident but I dont think so.

S&T, and maybe if you want to include RA-Tech missing :L

Without risking to much wrath from the forum: Would it not be fair to say that nearly all the brands are pretty similar?

The nuances between the brands won't really apply to new players, and any issues between guns are generally symptomatic of the build, rather than the brand. For example my KJ Works all metal pistol is unreliable, but only because it's all metal, I knew I what I was buying. The general rule seams to be the cheaper the gun the cheaper the build, so no surprises there. I own three brands of gun and the accuracy is consistent across all three. The Ares seams to be considerably less reliable than the SRC, but my brother with the same gear claims the opposite, so reliability seams to be a bit of a roulette...Cruising product reviews across forums reveals a miasma of opposed opinions and claims of quality.

Perhaps whats needed is a single recommend beginners kit approved via poll by the members here. That way new players could be pointed to it as a solid place to start (provided they don't all want to be snipers ;-)

Ares is pot luck. A good gun can be awesome, but another "identical" gun could come out the factory to see lots a problems. This is ARES in a nutshell :P

Most KWA/KSC pistols are all metal, but are designed well and perform well in the lower temp range. As opposed to KJW which is a clone of a TM, which are not designed to run metal kits in the cold; and as such, the KJW struggle.

I'd say there is a large enough difference for people to benefit from a large survey etc. Cheaper doesn't always mean better. The CYMA AK47's are cheaper than the TM ones, and are much better quality and value for money.

• Supporters

Cybergun aren't a manufacturer either, they're the same as Umarex, they just stick trades on stuff and resell it.

Lol anyone is entitled to their opinion, you can just speak your mind quad machine. Its possible that 2 people who owns the same gun can have differences in performance. Its also possible that people can have difference experiences with them. That's why I think it's better to take an average rating so that it can be used as a reference. The list will have a sort of disclaimer that says that the rating may not be true to the exact gun your buying, nor the experience will be the same. I just think it's better to have some sort of rating for new comers. Veterans can form their own opinions

• Supporters

Also, GSG airsoft products are actually made by ICS.

Put the list together first, post it up and then people can rate them. Would make everyone's life easier that way.

Whilst I can see that this would, in theory be a good idea, it does look as if it could get very top heavy with data, since if you just rate the manufacturer you can get wildly different reactions based on which model the person rating it has. It could be, for example, that G&G M4 /M16 style guns are rated very good (that's not my vote, just an example), but that their AKs or MP5s are rated poor, so whilst someone wanting an AK would get an average reading, the truth could be a lot worse than the survey suggests if you just rate the manufacturer.

If you really want a representative survey then you also need to break it down by weapon style as well as manufacturer. That way you would probably achieve the sort of unbiased report that you are seeking. Sounds like a hell of a lot of work though.

• Supporters

My ratings, generally speaking. Might I also suggest someone alphabetise the list?

King arms - 6 - I hear mixed things about them, mostly good. But my mate had a carbine FAL that was DIRE.
G&G armaments - 9/10 - I've had 2 guns by them which are both exceptionally good. They generally have a fantastic reputation, QC is good, prices are spot on, one of the best brands out there imo.
Jing Gong - 7 - For the price you really can't go wrong.
I.C.S - 8 - My "Other G&G" company. Very good guns. Excellent build quality on their metal guns, good out of the box performance, get shipped with 2 hi-caps in some cases. Only thing that lets them down is the plastics on the sportslines feel a bit... breaky, imo.
A.P.S - 6 - Generally see them as bad. But my mate did have an AK that I sorted out for him, disabled the blowback and cleaned the g'box out and it was spectacularly good after that. Stock parts and the range and accuracy were mental for only 310fps.
V.F.C - 8 - Top tier manufacturer, external quality is probably the highest out there with only few exceptions but when I had a go with the 417 I didn't think the performance was worth the price tag. It was good, but I'd expected "more" for that much money.
Ares - 5 at best - Externals are generally faultless. Internals... In my opinion, Ares ought to just sell gun shells, for you to put the internals into.
G&P - 9 - Great all round, but can be a bit on the expensive side. I'm thinking LMGs and their SR25 URX...
Galaxy - No experience whatsoever.
Well - 5 - Snipers seem really worth their salt if you understand that they require upgrades, but the external quality is questionable and I've heard nothing but bad reviews about their MP7.
AGM - No real experience again, but their famous GBB M4 is allegedly terrible. AEGs seem pretty good though, full metal M4 with RIS for £200, built with mental US fps limits in mind, so they come shooting 400fps. Downgrading for UK legality is only going to prolong the life of the internals. Based on what I've heard - 7
CYMA - 8 - The king of metal AKs. No need to say anymore I don't think.
D-BOYS - No experience.
JLS - No experience.
WE TECH - 8 - Their reputation is ever increasing, they're opening a branch in the UK, so we ought to see spares readily available and for a low cost. Even if their guns break fixing them isn't hard and they have the best range of GBBRs by a country mile.
Classic Army - 8 - Run of the mill stuff. Competitive all rounders.
LCT - Nice kits, good rep. But not all what they're cracked up to be going by what Ian_Gere's said in his review. However - No personal experience and I've not heard enough about them to make my own deductions.
Real Sword - 9 - Has anyone ever heard a single bad thing said against RS? Their new AR range look immaculate as well. A proper heavy bolt in an AEG M4? Omnomnom. I might have to get another AR.
Tokyo Marui - 7 - People bum the living shit about them, but my experience of them has been generally bad. The range is only good for CQB, I don't care what anyone says. Pit my L85 against as it came from the box against anything TM have ever made - bar an upgraded VSR - and it'll blow the TM away. I'd bet money on it.
SRC - 7/8 - Personally not impressed. My site use the Gen3 G36s as hire guns, they're not really something I'd be happy with if I had to hire. But they have seen absolute hell and they do generally get a good rep.

Systema - No personal experience, but they supposedly need even more money spending on them to be any good in terms of reliability, and for the cost, that's just wrong. They deserve a score of sub 5 for that. But, having fired a mate's M16 with the burst function, I feel like giving them a 10 because it was like being presented with a supermodel that's got a thing for you. Amazing. 8 if you can afford to pay the silly premium to get one.

WA - No experience whatsoever, only ever touched two and they were both pistols. Generally seem to feel and perform as TM do. Wouldn't mind having a go with their GBBR line, but they don't seem to exist in the UK.

Stark arms (vfc subrand) - Never even heard of these before today.

HK3 - As above, only known about them for about 2 days.

A&K - 6/7 - Heard good stuff about their LMGs and I'd be tempted to get their SR25 from what I've heard about it. But their springer SVDs just sound crap and I get the impression they're nothing to sing about.

Both elephant - No experience. But I've picked up the impression that they're about one rung along the ladder from the 150fps AEGs you used to be able to buy from "the dodgy dealer" as we called him, down the city centre pre-VCRA.

KWA - No personal experience, but based on what I've heard - 8.

KSC - What's the deal with KWA and KSC? KSC make a Sig P226 that's stupidly expensive, at least £40 more than the KWA NS2 one, but I've heard that it's bad. But I've always thought that KSC were a KWA rebrand or something.

KJW - 7 - Based on personal experience. I had a Sig P226 and loved it for the weight and feel. They fall down on performance though, their pistols are terrible - magazine especially, but their GBB M4 is outstanding from what I've seen, the Ruger 1022 thing is good too.

Inokatsu - No experience, unsurprisingly... We're generally led to believe they're the best there is in the GBB world, but I've stumbled across a few threads that suggest despite their flawlessly realistic externals, their internals and performance are woeful. So I'd have to give them a 5 for false pretences.

G&D - No personal experience, but their PTW clones are supposedly very good indeed and around £1k cheaper than the proper thing.

Celcius - Cheaper version of Systema with comparable performance. Unsure of the need to upgrade from the box though. No actual experience.

Dytac - Not even heard of them prior to this list.

Army armament - Only know anything at all about their clone of G&G's L85 and most of that is bad. But due to having no clue about their other stuff I'm going to skip the score based on lack of experience.

Madbull - Only have experience with their accessories, which are generally very good, bar the trades. My RIS would be a lot nicer if it didn't have "for airsoft only" written on it...

Tanaka - Good from what I've heard and seen, but no experience.

Double eagle - Lol no. 4. The actual dodgy dealer guns.

HFC - Had some springers made by HFC back in the day. They left a lot to be desired. I can't imagine their GBB pistols being spectacular, but I'm inclined to group them with KJW in the pistol category.

GHK - No experience.

I didn't want to just rate things with a number because there are too many different things you can rate a company for. Internal quality, external quality, performance out of the box, reputation etc etc. Coming up with a figure that can account for all that and be comparable against other brands is just exceptionally difficult.
We might need to rethink how we're going to do this.

I also think there needs to be a proper scale.

Here I've struggled to really rate anything to show that much difference between things. I would say that 0 = The guns don't even work and 10 = They're so good in every regard that there's literally nothing bad to say about them.
5 - 7 is about average, 8/9 are exceptional and anything less than 5 is more worthy of binning than anyone's attention.

• Supporters

ASG are another one like Umarex and Cybergun, Nick, you noob.

KTW don't really make anything that's properly skirmishable either, so I don't think it's such a great loss having them missed off... But you were joking anyway.

ASG are another one like Umarex and Cybergun, Nick, you noob.

Yes bit tis worth noting that their M3 Tri-shots are arguably the best on the market atm

Their Rebranded DE's

But I just trust their quality far above DE's though. Also going off what Xsite have said when I asked them about tri-shots

Archived