Green-Gas etc. or Co2?! Can't decide which one is better!!

Kaneweeks
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm currently looking at getting myself a gbb rifle and I am unsure on which gas is better to use, green gas variants or Co2. A little help would be awesome and extremely appreciated. Thanks.

• Supporters

There are a few things to consider.

The main points for me are that green gas is more widely recognised as the standard gas, but it suffers from the cold which it creates during firing. Known as the cool down effect. Every shot you fire, will be weaker than the last one. If it's already quite cold when you start shooting, then the effect is compounded until you reach the point where the gun simply spits gas everywhere after a couple of shots and you're left a sitting duck.

Although the same can happen with CO2, it isn't to the same extent. CO2 is known for working in much colder temperatures and still allowing your gun to function correctly. However, it is significantly more powerful as it is stored under a much higher pressure and will cause you to need to replace parts on your rifle a lot more frequently - the added oomph will cause internal wear and damage at a much higher rate because of the more aggressive cycling.

Gas guns need a lot of maintenance. A large part of which is replacing parts that break. You'll want to pick a rifle which either has steel internal components, or can be upgraded to have steel internal components. I'd actually advise reading around gas rifles extensively before buying one and for the sake of those reading this that aren't a member of the forums, DON'T GET A GAS GUN AS YOUR FIRST GUN! I did and it was the worst mistake I ever made. £1k down the pooper and it never worked right because I had no idea what I was doing with it.

There's also the fact that because of the higher power, CO2 is banned at a lot of sites, so you'd be best checking with your most frequented site before taking the plunge and going CO2 over green gas.
Additionally, not all gas rifles can even take CO2, the KJW M4 definitely can't, nor can the WE G36 or M14.

CO2 is also more expensive to buy, as you need to get those little 12g capsules of it and each one is only good for about 50 shots, so that's about 80p per magazine unless you find a very good bulk buy deal.

So simple pros and cons.

Green gas pros:

Cheaper than CO2

Allowed on every site

Will keep your gun running for longer

It's also lubricated so maintenance is arguably done in part by firing the gun

Cons:

Cool down effect can leave the rifle next to useless in cold weather leaving many GBBR users to have them as "summer guns"

CO2 pros:

Works well in the cold

Harder kick from the recoil

Cons:

Many sites won't allow you to use it

Expensive to keep buying loads of CO2 capsules

Your gun will break faster and require more diligent maintenance as CO2 isn't lubricated

If I were going to get a gas gun, I personally would buy one of the RA Tech upgraded WE Tech rifles from here: http://www.tacticalquartermaster.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=52_59 and then run it off CO2, if you're going to spend money on a gas gun, you might as well do it right and go the whole mile getting a pre-upgraded one with a lot of parts readily available.

WE Tech are opening a UK distribution outlet soon, so spare parts will be cheaper and won't need to be imported from Taiwan.

TL;DR? Man up and read the whole thing, you asked for info, I gave you all I know lol.

That's some awesome info. Thanks a hell of a lot. I don't really fancy spending £1k and for it not to work properly, I was quite tempted to buy a combat machine gbb and start off cheaply. That way if I don't like it, shit happens lol. I wil definitely consider that RIF though, Co2 seems more appealing.

Thanks for the help!!

My RA-Tech HK416 is awesome and cycles fine in the cold. It was even snowing that day. Wasn't skirmished but Green will be fine. They come at around 400fps anyway so with the NPAS installed you have enough power spare to fully cycle in the cold.

C02 is only really needed during december where its stupidly cold. We're through the worst so green all the way until winter comes again.

Also, Damn. Could have saved a little bit of money from that site. Dunno what the customer service is like though.

Archived